Catfish Boat

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by FishMan, Aug 21, 2005.

1. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I am thinking of building a cabin on a 8 foot wide 32 foot long pontoon boat and setting it up for overnighter and weekend catfishing. Has anyone done this or seen it done. My main concern for now is would it be wide enough to be stable.

2. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    Hey dude, I've seen it done so I Know you can, I think the 8" wide is about trailerin. just build it heavier at the bottom and lighter at the top should make it work. :thumbsup:

3. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Weight should always be priority along with balance.
    Light weight materials often cost more.

Take into consideration what the wind is going to do with it also.
    Such a project would be a fun one to undertake b ut I think the first thing to do is find the where the weight should be centered which is rarely the center of the boat.

4. BoCaHoLiC

BoCaHoLiC New Member

State:
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Speaking of catfish boats, can anyone point me in the direction of the threads that have to do with modifying boats to be more catfish friendly? I knew we had some threads on the old site, so have they just not been transferred over yet? Thanks.

Josh

5. cat4life

cat4life New Member

State:
    Shawnee, Kansas
    My shop class teacher did it, and it truned out great. good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

6. brian sax

brian sax New Member

State:
    shawnee kansas
    i saw a boat like that at a lake around here. it was a huge pontoon and it was cool lookin

7. Hootowlc3

Hootowlc3 New Member

State:
    Florida
    I have seen small camping trailers on pontoons, Just have to know the weight your pontoons will take.

8. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    That would be cool to have a camper on a pontoon boat...LOL

9. 98custom

98custom New Member

State:
    Northwest Flori
    a camper on a pontoon boat would like kinda weird but that would be cool to stay in.

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Cool for camping, but maybe not so cool for fishing. The successful catfishing toons I've seen either were completely open or had a fold-down top so they could be made completely open. I bought one with a metal hardtop, and found that only by standing way out on the front of it could you even make a cast; you couldn't even jerk your rod anywhere else on the toon, or you'd bang your rod against the roof.
    From your post, I assume that you already have the toon. I'd recommend using a bunch of cardboard boxes, plastic, or whatever to make a mockup of the cabin you're planning, then get on board and act out casting, hooking, and fighting fish to see how much the cabin interferes with your fishing. And be sure to try this from different locations on the toon; it's really confining to only be able to fish in one direction. When I would anchor in a current, I could only cast upstream; the metal hard top kept me from being able to cast downstream.

11. capt.kirk

capt.kirk Guest

FISHMAN
    I agree with MARK.Study this project really well,figure your cost of material
    as well as marks advice.sounds like a fun project.
    GOOD LUCK :D

12. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thanks guys sounds like I got some good advise. No I don't have the toon yet but I will be using 32 foot ones. I like the mock up idea because the main purpose is for fishing not camping but I want to be able to camp out thus the 32 feet. the cabin will be small so there should be room for casting on one end. I am thinking the front and just enough deck in back for troling or drifting, any thoughts on this?

13. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    i had the same idea so i bought a alum. 6 ft x 8 ft hard top and got material for 3 sides i could roll up or let down if needed. but now it sits out beside my building. to much trouble to raise and lower when fishing alone. it is nice to have if it starts raining or is very sunny out. but trying to get me a soft top so thats its easier when alone.