Catfish boat

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by vegasryder, Oct 13, 2006.

1. vegasryder

vegasryder New Member

State:
    illinois
    I`ve been tempted on purchasing a boat for some time now since my luck has`nt been too good fishing from shore.Everytime o go fishing i always see a great spot to fish but i can never get to it.So i decided to get one, especially around this time of year because they seem to run cheap.I want to get an opinion on this boat.Let me know what you guys think and how much should i offer to pay for it...

74' boat and trailer with a 65hp Evinrude
    transome and floors are good and everything is in good working condition

Attached Files:

2. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Don't know what it is worth but that would make a great cat boat. All that open area. Wow, latch on to that. Just get the motor checked out.

3. vegasryder

vegasryder New Member

State:
    illinois
    I really like how everything is open.Another option i have is a 1997 14' pontoon with a 25hp Merc for $2500.Just cant decide which one.I figure the pontoon has alot more room but is bulky.I`m just getting into the boat scene and i didnt have a clue how much boats can cost!!!:eek:oooh:

4. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    looks like a great cattin boat. check out the motor real good tho.:big_smile:

5. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    The main problem I see with the boat is the windshield. It appears to limit access to the bow. Maybe the middle portion opens up. My preference would be for an open bow, but if in good shape and of the right price, the boat will do the job. If you aren't used to boats, you may want to stay away from pontoon types. A 14 footer is awfully small, it will just make you want to give up on them or get a bigger one. But, if my first boat for catfishing, I'd be looking at something like a 14 or 16 foot flat bottom or semi-vee with a 25-50 hp motor, more if the boat is designed for the extra horses.

6. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    i love that boat in the picture. its really cool looking. Now i dont know a whole lot about boats but i definately get one like that! good luck on finding one that is good for ya!

7. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    That is one wild looking boat. I like it. As gadzooks said, if that windshield opens up, you should be good to go. Need to be able to access the bow. Pretty cool indeed, never seen anything quite like it.

8. vegasryder

vegasryder New Member

State:
    illinois
    Just got an email from the guy and he said that theres a lower compression on one of the cylinders...I know how to work on cars but i dont know if boats are different.I`ve also worked on small 2-stroke motors like the ones they use on pocketbikes.Now would the repair cost alot with the cylinder?I have no clue on the price of the rebuilds on boat motors.I got about 15min. before the auction ends,so if you guys can give me a respond asap,it would be greatly appreciated.Thanks again.

9. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Me personally, I'd leave it alone if there's anything wrong with the motor. More will come along that don't have something wrong with them.

10. vegasryder

vegasryder New Member

State:
    illinois
    Man...i knew it was too good to be true.The bid is over $1k and theres 3mins left.I really like the boat and was going to pay more than i would of liked to.The only thing that threw me off was the compression being 145-120-145.Oh well...maybe next time.Thanks guys!!!

11. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I think you did the right thing. I've been in your situation before. The anticipation can get the best of you. :lol: Just keep looking, you'll find the right one. Accesorizing your new boat is fun stuff, rebuilding a used motor you just bought, AIN'T.

12. kickersdad

kickersdad New Member

Check or have someone check the compression.
    If it' ok, buy it.

13. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Kenny, if I was you I wouldn't buy a used boat unless I could take it out for a test run. See if it starts easy, keeps running, can sit and idle for a few minutes without cutting out, doesn't cut out when you give it the gas, stuff like that. If you look in the papers you can find all kinds of boats for 1 to 3 grand that are only a few yrs old and 1/3rd the price they were new. more than half probabally only used 15 or 20 times a year. Don't get locked in on one till you look at a few. Also you gotta think about hauling it around, A pontoon is a big unwieldy thing to be pulling everywhere you want to fish. They are more of a put it in the water in the spring and take it out in the fall kind of boat. Hope you find what you're looking for.

14. vegasryder

vegasryder New Member

State:
    illinois
    The auction ended and i`m kinda glad i didnt get it.Thanks guys for all the info.I will be on a hunt for a boat all weekend.

15. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    See there, you can always count on the BOC folks for a little help. :lol: Have fun searching this weekend. The right one will come your way eventually. Good luck

16. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Ask one of these boat guys I am not sure but that compression my be acceptable for a used motor. I think on a used motor is it somewhat normal for one to be lower. Check it out.

17. JamisonM

JamisonM New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Does anybody know who the maker and model of that boat is? Kenny, you mind sending a pm with a link to that auction? I wouldn't mind finding out more about that boat. Thanks.

18. vegasryder

vegasryder New Member

State:
    illinois
    ^^^check your pm:big_smile:

19. vegasryder

vegasryder New Member

State:
    illinois
    Just found another one.Let me know what you guys think!Has a Merc 500.Emailed the guy and he said "there is a small surface crack in the open bow but nothing serious i can stand on it and no problem , mechanical there is nothing wrong i just got it back from the marina after having all the gas lines replaced inside the motor and they checked it all over and said it was all in good condition it runs great about the compression i have no idea i have never had it tested i can tell you that it has been a fabuolous boat for the 2 years that i have owned it it has alwasys ran no problems until the recent gas lines started to leak".He`s asking $1200 as a buy it now.But like you guys said...i have to make sure the motor is good.So should i bid on it as just a boat/trailer and not give him his asking price since i have no idea on the condition of the motor?

Attached Files:

20. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Kenny, take you time on finding a boat. One of the first rules of motorboating is that a boat is a hole in the water you throw your money into. Basically, that means there is a lot of upkeep to a motorboat. Maintenance of the engine and boat takes time. Like a car, the better maintained, the better the results. With used boats, you never know how they were used and abused. If you don't know about boat motors, insist on taking it first for a test run, second to a mechanic that specializes in the make/model of the engine. In the price range you are talking about, a smaller boat with smaller engine may be a better buy. Big boats with cheap price tags need to be looked at carefully. Just my two cents and experience of buying a boat in a hurry just to own a boat to fish from.