Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking to upgrade to a 20-24 ft cat or jon boat have been looking at the lowe cat 20, excell, war eagle 2170-2370.
Any one have experience with these boats or recommendations, sea ark 200-240 are more than I want to spend and after looking at a 240 wasnt impressed for that kind of money

·
Registered
Steven from Georgia
957 Posts
Welcome to the board Jonathan,

Check out my "Turning a duck boat into a fishing boat" thread. Lowe roughneck 2070 SC. Ive only been fishing in it a few times. Its going to work out great though. Lots of room. Welder has the same boat and Tom has the tiller model.

I decided against the actual Lowe cat model because of the small middle floor space. No room for my striper bait tank. I also dont like the bar all the way across the back. It eliminates alot of space on the back of the boat. Its in the way of your battery storage access. If i remember correctly the rod locker only stores 4 rods.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Love my 2070. Good fishing and hunting boat lots of room. Handles lake and river fishing well. Shallow draft ect.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I see a trend in "catfish" boats recently that makes no sense to me. Windshields with a front deck you can't use. I understand many fish out the back of the boat.... but still. A dbl windshield, walk through.... could not give me one

·
Registered
Steve from Mississippi
1,365 Posts
T
I see a trend in "catfish" boats recently that makes no sense to me. Windshields with a front deck you can't use. I understand many fish out the back of the boat.... but still. A dbl windshield, walk through.... could not give me one
That front deck is for castnetting and cooler/box storage. It gets the surplus cooler or box out of the business area of the boat. Also, do you fish in 40-50deg temps? If you did I bet you would love that wind screen with the bimini attached to it in that cold weather when you have a 5-10 mile run to the bait or fishing grounds. Those boats have a very useful purpose. Do we all need one? Of course not. But the people who fish most of the year or all year can really gain an advantage with that kind of boat.

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
First full season with a GIII Sportsman 200, love the front deck for cast netting, good storage, at dawn even on a 65 degree morning the windshields are a welcome thing. I have plenty of room for drifting behind the windshields and the hull design of the split windshield catfish boats being marketed now allow for faster speeds in rougher water. There is a reason there is more than one flavor of ice cream, not everyone wants the same thing.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
I downloaded a picture one time I have no idea who it is but I really like the layout and center console is a must have
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374240595.119616.jpg

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
Wesley, that would be a very functional catfishing boat IMO. I would suggest trying to find one with a Versa Track type rail around the top, it just makes mounting rod holders and other things much easier.

·
Premium Member
11,189 Posts
That is a nice looking catfish boat. I think I would want the center console a little farther forward leaving more room in the back. I would bet if a guy knew a decent aluminum welder, a track system could be added without much trouble. I have gotten to like the modified V on the Lowe Roughneck 2070 boats. No they are not super smooth like the deep Vs but they are much better tha a flat bottom. And they are still wide enough you don't get that rolling back and forth.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
thanks I love the flat square front ends but they probably dont ride the smoothest

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
here is from Emmetts marine I was drooling over
cache_4106662861.jpeg

·
Registered
Steve from Mississippi
1,365 Posts
Believe me! From experience I have learned that a semi-V or flat bottom is not what I want. I'm tired of getting beat to death. After a 5-9 mile run with a current from the North and wind from the South sometimes it feels like your insides have been shaken apart. A good deadrise (15-20deg) is a must for my next boat.

·
Registered
856 Posts
T

That front deck is for castnetting and cooler/box storage. It gets the surplus cooler or box out of the business area of the boat. Also, do you fish in 40-50deg temps? If you did I bet you would love that wind screen with the bimini attached to it in that cold weather when you have a 5-10 mile run to the bait or fishing grounds. Those boats have a very useful purpose. Do we all need one? Of course not. But the people who fish most of the year or all year can really gain an advantage with that kind of boat.
yes

1 - 15 of 15 Posts