catfish boat

Discussion in 'Boating' started by kissire911, Sep 6, 2009.

1. kissire911

kissire911 New Member

State:
    oklahome
    what kind and size of boat do you need to fish a tourment. i have a 1752 lowe with a 50hp motor . do you think this will work or do i need a bigger boat.

2. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    That's plenty big. I won three tournaments last year in a Carolina Skiff J-16.

BB in SC

3. kissire911

kissire911 New Member

State:
    oklahome
    thank id like to hear some more

4. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    It ain't so much the boat. Its the quality of the livewell. :wink:

5. kissire911

kissire911 New Member

State:
    oklahome
    what kind of live well do i need.my boat needs one and is going to get one this winter some time if any ideals just post them. im friends with a welding shop teacher and going to have one made . going to remove the center bench and replace with live well may be the size i need

6. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    A 100 gallon live well is a safe choice for tournament catches.

Bill in SC

7. kissire911

kissire911 New Member

State:
    oklahome
    is there a boat made with a 100 gallon live well out there. sounds huge that all most like two barrel in the boat

8. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I don't know if any factory boats come with 100 gallon tournament live wells, but MANY fishermen have them on their boats for tourneys. The idea is to have a portable large live well for tourneys that can be easily removed when pleasure fishin'. Neoprene type farm tanks, livestock water containers, home made containers, etc., can easily be converted/used as portable devices. Bigger IS better, especially when keeping big blues alive as they are not nearly as hardy as flatties. Naturally, smaller boats don't have the option of a huge live well, but the pontoon and 18 foot plus boat folks can usually pull it off with a large live well. BTW: The thread started off talking about boat size for tournaments, and then shifted to live wells. If you were speaking of live bait wells, 20 gallons should suffice, preferable round or oval as that helps keep certain baits from killing themselves bumping into the sides of a square or rectangular tank.

Bill in SC

Last edited: Sep 6, 2009
  9. kissire911

kissire911 New Member

State:
    oklahome
    what do you use as a live well in your boat

10. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    For my bait tank, I use a 20 gallon blue plastic drum with a lid held on with a steel strap type lid holder for transporting bait. I use an 18 inch aquarium air stone, run by a regular aquarium pump powered by a DC converter plugged into a cigarette lighter plug. I remove the lid after getting on the water.

For my tournament tank, depending on the tournament area, I use anything from a 55 quart white Coleman cooler with an aerator, to a large chest type deep freezer that will hold at least 100 gallons of water. That's one thing on my agenda. I hope to rig me a nice portable neoprene farm type tank this winter, or as soon as finances will allow. Check out some tournament weigh ins and see all the different variations of big fish live wells. You'll be surprised at all the different things people use for big fish tanks. Let your imagination create the best tank for your boat size and application. One thing to consider is using material that will stay cool during summer tournaments. Cool fish stay alive much better than hot, stressed ones. If you go with metal, be sure to figure on some sort of insulation material for it. Nothing worse than having a tournament winning fish expire from lack of a proper big fish live well.

Bill in SC

11. wabah58

wabah58 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I saw a guy that had one of those truck boxes for a livewell, the boxes that sits behind the truck cab, in the bed. He had air and pump on it too. He pumped the water out when he was trailering. It was real nice. Fit great in his boat too. That got his huge cats in to the weigh in.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2009
  12. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
  13. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    Yeah but that first boat is 30' long and has an 80" bottom. 100 gallons is a lot of weight and if you have the ability to constantly pump water, I don't see why you need the huge volume unless you actually catch enough huge fish to fill it. If you can, go sell some kidneys.

14. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Both boats are 24ft long. And the first one can hold alot more weight in the back. The company acutally wanted to add more weight to the rear of the boat. And to add to the point of catching fish to fill the livewell.

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1622497#post1622497

Here is a link to a guy that has the Procat you can see it in the background of the pic, and I'm would but money on it he was glad he had that big of livewell to hold those fish.

15. seaark ryan

seaark ryan New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I have a 20ft Seaark with a 40 gallon well in the back and I made another 37 gallon well out of the front deck storage box. I wish it was all made into one tank as I can only get 3 40lb fish in the back and 1 in the front because of the shape of them. A big long tank is much easier to fit more fish in. You can always make a shorter stand fill tube to hold less water for those small fish days. This winter I am going to convert my under seat storage into another livewell it is the width of the boat 8ft, 12 inches deep by about 16 inches wide. I will mainly use it as it was designed for storage but if and when I get that 160 lb stringer I will have it. You can never have too much livewell but you sure can have to little!

16. etexun

etexun New Member

State:
    Texas (Nea
    If your shop teacher can weld aluminum there is a nice one featured in the "Members Library" I was just looking at it yesterday. It will give a good idea of what can be done once you set your mind to it. It was under a heading of " Mandingo's New Livewell" your I just installed one on my boat. It is a little over 40 gallons. I think it is twice as big as my buddies, It looks pretty big. I have a few pictures of it posted in a series of post I did under "flatbottom project". in to Boat modification section. It is not made out of aluminum but a material called expanded pvc. It has better insulating qualities than aluminum. Plus I insulated all around it to.