Catfish boat tricks/tips???

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by Salmonid, Jun 15, 2009.

1. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Ok, the river threads are dying off faster then shad after a hard winter so thought Id throw in a few river boating tricks for the catfish boats.
    I hope many will chime in and add to the list. Heres a few to get started. Most of these are geared towards boating in the bigger rivers around the state, (Ohio, GMR, Maumee, Musky, Scioto etc)

Always keep a spare anchor and 100 ft of rope in the boat.

When running on a new piece of water be sure to notice as many landmarks as possible and keep track of how far up or down river you went and especially take note of creek mouths if you launched in a creek. Fog, heavy rain and darkness can get you in a world of hurt in hurry. Better yet, upgrade to a GPS unit.

Rain-X on the windshield helps durring downpours and to help you see out the winshield in foggy or from bow spray.

Before you launch, uncoil and recoil your anchor rope so its ready to throw at the first spot without having knots in it. ( pet peeve on mine)

Alway top off the boat tank on the way home, that way, when your poor, Youll always have a full tank.

I am getting better at having abunch of pre-tied leaders tied up for quick reties since I tourny fish a lot these days.

If you are using frozen bait ( shad) be sure to keep the first bag in the car ( out of the cooler) for the ride to the river so its mostly thawed, if you forget, you can put said bag into either livewell or in net over the side will quickly thaw bait out.

When you catch shad on the river to be used later, keep a box of zip lock bags on the boat and go ahead and sort them by size and numbers and mark bags with dates while waiting for bites to happen.

I know its hard, but try to keep the floor of the boat clutterfree, nothing worse then hooking a big fish and having your partner darn near fall out of the boat trying to get to your back corner of the boat to net it.

When launching in sideways current, Like Downtown Cinci public landing on the Ohio, be sure to star motor and get boat warmed up before backing off/unhooking the boat from trailer. If motor fails and you back off and start freefloating , you may not be able to get back to the ramp

If your new to bigger river fishing, start by fishing upriver that way if your alone with no one to help you in a bad engine problem, you can always drift/trolling motor downstream back to ramp

Dont forget your cell phone!!

Thats a good start so if you have some good ones to add, please do so.

Salmonid

2. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    "Dont forget your cell phone!!"

'Cept for that! No phones on my boat, please. Thank you! :big_smile:

3. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Ok, bring it, but keep it turned off and in the glove box until you really need it....:wink:

Salmonid

4. Mr_Catfish

Mr_Catfish New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Always use a spotlight when navigating at night. Especially after alot of rain. Rivers are always changing never know when a new log might appear in a new location. And if the river has come up their most likely will be debris on the river.

5. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    "Ok, bring it, but keep it turned off and in the glove box until you really need it"

Nah, got by without one for years and years and years,, way before they even made one.

I'm all for the "boy scout thing" but no sense in taking all the adventure out of it. Shoot, pretty soon you'd be calling out for pizza!

Though I do admit, once or twice I would have liked to have had a beer delivery! :smile2:

6. sscharlie

sscharlie Well-Known Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Stan
    Learn Smoke signals...lol

7. bigfish08

bigfish08 New Member

State:
    ohio
    your anchor can be your best friend and your worst enemy.. be careful when anchoring in current with smaller vessels, i sank a canoe when checking a flathead spot to see how deep it was, the anchor got caught and almost immediately pulled the back of the boat under and put myself and a friend swimming in the river in a area with lots of cables and places where a foot could get caught, the boat got completely taken under and wasnt even visable, luckily the anchor rope wore through and the canoe washed up a mile or so down river in a log jam and with a freinds help i was able to retrieve it.. the rivers are very powerful. also if anchored in current watch for debris floating downstream at you, that can be enough to take a boat down.. BE CAREFUL OUT THERE!!