Catfish boat for the Missouri river

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by CATCANDO, Feb 10, 2006.

1. CATCANDO

CATCANDO New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Ok so I'm kinda new here and I have a questions for you guys. I mainly fish the missouri river around St Joseph MO and I am looking at buying a boat. My grandfather lives on the river I fish with him and my friends that have boats currently. I can use my grandfathers boat when I want but there is somthing about having your own boat and being able to use it when ever you want. I have been looking at boats in the 16-18ft range mostly center console. Here is the issue I bought a 28ft pontoon last year with a 84 merc 150 on it. I got this cheep and this motor is good so I would like to use it on my fishing boat problem is that it is hard to find a john boat rated for a 150. I have been looking at a 20ft seaark river cat rated for a 140 but since my 150 is older it is 150 at the power head and more like 130 at the prop. Just wondering what you guys think about these boats and a boat this big. My grandfather is against a 20ft boat says they are too big and yes he has had one.

2. ASASIN

ASASIN New Member

State:
    Lawson Missouri
    That pontoon would work. A guy I know, Rick Gebhardt, uses a pontoon for his guide service on the Missouri River. He fishes around Glasgow, MO. Do an engine search on Rick and you can ask him about his experience and what he'd recommend for fishing the river. He's got ALOT of experience catfishing it, and is one of the best known authorities for catching giant blues on the Missouri. God bless.

3. Terry Day

Terry Day New Member

State:
    Parkville, Missouri
    I have a 20' Polar Craft center consol with a 90hp Tahotsu. The 90 goes plenty fast - especially when the carp become airborne and you have to dodge them. It works great for the river. Personally I would not want to be out on the river in a smaller boat. I think that the Seaark is a little more expensive because the gauge of the aluminum is thicker. I looked at them and liked them but opted for Polar Craft because of the $$$ difference.

4. CATCANDO

CATCANDO New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The pontoon is going to be sold as a dock.

5. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Well I say you can never have to much boat. I have fished out of 16ft boats – 21 ½ foot boats. Bigger is always better. Now for the toons I never really liked the idea of having one on the river. Man I have seen some stuff come down that river and just the thought of getting it stuck between the toons makes me think twice about it. At least when I lift my motor up I know there is nothing going to be hanging still in the water. Ok so not all toons are made the same in that category. Anyways, when you step up to an aluminum boat for a 115hp+ boat your going to have thicker aluminum. Also from the way I understand it your best bet would be get a commercial rated boat. That way there is really no coast guard limitations on hp. At least that is how it was explained to me. But on the other hand I been really thinking hard about selling my boat it has a 50hp. :)

6. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    I have a 24ft SeaArk with a cabin and a 140 Suzuki. I love it. I have had it on the Missouri and it works fine. I think boat size is less important than boat skill on the Missouri. Myself being a large(fat) catman I like a big boat but if your skinny(bait) you might like a more manuerable boat. I had to learn to turn mine quickly using the throttle and it took some getting use to. The pontoon is tough to beat for cattin as I'm sure Gebhardt found out. I had a 24ft pontoon and it was great. Tight Lines and bent rods

7. CATCANDO

CATCANDO New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Went and looked at the Seaark river cat today and it seems that I am going to go that way. I was thinking center console but the one they have is side console and man there is a ton of room. What do you guys think side or center?

8. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    Ross since its for fishing and especailly on a river, I would say center console. Reason being it gives you the latitude to fight a big cat down both sides if needed. Good luck in 2006 with your new boat!:)

9. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Mine is a side. If I had to do it all over again I would go with a center. A forward center console also helps you see whats coming down river when you are moving to the next location.

10. Terry Day

Terry Day New Member

State:
    Parkville, Missouri
    I would agree with crazy. I have a center console and it is great. I'm balanced when I am fishing alone. I can run a fish down either side of the boat and the visibility is graet. If you have a choice - take the center console. My two cents worth!

11. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Center Console for me. I wouldnt have anything else.

12. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Definately go with the center console you will love it. I have the exact boat, its a 20 ft SeaArk RiverCat with a 135 hp Optimax. It does awesome my tourney buddy and I fish comfortably out of it with a guest or two. Plenty of room and with the 135 that boat will haul as im sure yours will with the 150. We have a top speed of 62mph with the 135 in smooth water and ideal conditions and about 54 in any condition. The layout of the boat is nice I just wish the center console was moved forward a little farther to allow more room in the back but Ill prolly trade in a year or two and have one made although this one is only a year old:p. Good luck with the rivercat if you get it. No complaints here. SeaArk builds a fine boat!

13. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Hey Team Cat, thats nice to hear about the Sea Ark. I am seriously considering uprading my 20 foot G3 to the 24 Grand Daddy Sea Ark with the Center Console and a 225 horse Yamaha fourstroke. I understand it has a 15 degree V with is what most interest me. My G3 which has a MOD V beats me to death on a strong south wind out on the Mississippi river. How does your Sea Ark ride in a real nasty chop, say three foot swells? I'm out for a better ride primarily, but I really like the size of the boat and the sales guys are telling me I can eke out 65 miles an hour with that 225 on it. That would be nice. Any information is greatly appreciated.

14. TeamCatHazzard

State:
    Illinois
    Jet, yea I have seen pics of that new Big Daddy or whatever they call it but havent seen it in person. As far as the SeaArk I would highly recommend them, and I myself was looking to upgrade to that model prolly next year as well. Mine does ride pretty rough in rough water and its been in its share around Alton in a few storms ive been in and barge wakes, etc. It has the modified V as well. SeaArk makes a VP model as well in a 22 foot and 20 ft. with the 15 degree hull which I was looking at until they came out with the BigDaddy this year. THey have upgraded the BigDaddys fuel tank size over mine as well as the rear livewell size which is always a plus as well. I think that a 20' boat is very comfortable to fish out of but in catfishin as we all know bigger is better. So Ive been looking to upgrade to that and might put my boat on the market at the end of the year hopefully. Id be really interested in looking in one in person, might have to stop by a dealer on my way back to Illinois from school some time. Another thing I love about SeaArk is how sturdy their boats are they use .125 aluminum which most others use .1 or something smaller as I believe G3 does as well but im not sure. G3 is another nice boat but I do prefer SeaArk and am sure you would have no complaints from the Big Daddy. Let me know if you have any more questions.

15. Terry Day

Terry Day New Member

State:
    Parkville, Missouri
    TeamCatHazard,

I think that I just sent you a message reference to fishing the Missouri around Columbia. Anyway, I really like my 20 foot Polar Craft center console.
    That being said, when I upgrade in a year or two, I will probably go to the SeaArk because of the thicker skin. I may have to take a look at the 22 footer. I'll have to find a local SeaArk dealer in the KC area.

16. TeamCatHazzard

State:
    Illinois
    Terry yea I got your post about the missouri at columbia, I would highly recommend SeaArk again and take a look at em. Let me know if you have any other questions or if i can help you!

17. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    Yea i would look at sea ark, when i win powerball tonight i am going for the 2472 mv with 30 gal gas tank 30 gal livewell and cabin with the best lowrance you can find ,well it is nice to dream LOL

18. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Thanks for the great information TeamCat. I saw the Big Daddy in person at the STL boat show. Its quite a machine. Tandem axle trailer, 16 gallon baitwell, 60 gallon livewell, 50 gallon belly fuel tank, lots of storage, rated for a 225 horse, and all of the room you could possible want. Sticker price about 30 grand with a couple popular options. Lets stay in touch, if we could go in to a dealer together next year, and drag another guy or two, we could probably knock a grand or more off the rig for buying three or 4 boats from the same dealer. I'm pretty much committed to the Sea Ark. I've spent countless hours researching aluminum center consoles, and I had narrowed it down to 2 rigs. Express Boats makes a 24 footer called the X24B. It will hold a 300 horse and its an impressive rig. It has a 40 grand price tag though, and doesnt have the livewell, only a big baitwell. I'd say dollar for dollar, SeaArk is probably the best thing going for the big Center Consoles. I really like my boat now, however it just rides rough in a really nasty chop.

19. TeamCatHazzard

State:
    Illinois
    Jet, yea I would be interested gettin some people together possibly for a discount. And that 30 grand what size motor was included in that price? Just curious to see what I could get that boat for price wise. As far as the Xpress bay boat trust me I looked at that one too:). But the one thing that I found about that one is that it has a 1400lb weight capacity, when I fish tournaments I have a 100 gal livewell on top of the built in 40 gal in the river cat, one tourney we have both full with 140 gal of water and 198 lbs of fish and thats 1318lbs right there not including persons, motor, and gear like that 1400lbs includes. Now the RiverCat I currently have has a 2300lb capacity, grant you that I was prolly over on that capicty to its nice to have a larger capacity, and trust me she was ridin lower in the water and you could tell you had weight in her. Other than that man that bayboat is nice, but I still think the bigdaddy is the way to go. Man I gotta get out and see it, although it may not be a good thing if I do......for the bank account I mean. Keep in touch if you want to try and get a few people together. I may be interested in the fall

20. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    I'll definitely stay in touch. I could have walked out of the boat show with that rig for 29 thousand. That was with the tandem trailer, a 225 Yamaha Four Stroke, trolling motor, and pretty much none of the big options. I want to customize mine quite a bit more, so im probably looking at 34-35 or so. If you figure that the motor is costing us 14 thousand, its not a bad deal. Thats still alot of money though. Are you fishing the ACATS tournament series at all? I'm fishing the opener in Owensboro, Kentucky on March 4th. I'm in the process of trying to get a 100 gallon livewell rigged in my boat. I cant find any livewells that big, so I'm researching water tanks that fit the diminsions i need and I'll rig the plumbing and everything. Do you have a photo of your livewell set up? I'm looking for some pointers or perhaps something I have overlooked. Thanks for the advice.