Catfish/Blue fishing

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by Bacardipr05, Jul 13, 2007.

1. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I know this is the BOC but I was considiring going deep sea blue fishing. I havent went in years. I just wanted some opinions if my cat fishing equipment is good enough to take these guys on or Im just better off renting their equipent here is a list of what I have

7 foot old whisers w shimano syncopate 4000
    9 foot shimano soccoro rod w shimano AX 500
    7 Ft Night Stick w Pfluger President Reel 6750
    6"6 Shimano Stimula Shimano Sonora 4000 -(bass fishing rod) probably not This is my channel rod
    7 Foot Shimano Saragosa Rod W Shimano Sahara 8000

I also have a Daiwa Exceler 4000 on the way and have been pondering ordering a Berkley Glowstick-and the above are all spinning equipment.

2. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    It depends on what ya fishing for.

3. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    At 62 and a lifetime of fresh and saltwater fishing,both sport and commercial I have this advice.Always use someone else's gear when ever possible in saltwater.I mean vehicles,boat,motor,trailer,rods,reels,tackle,pocket knife or anything else you will use.The sun and salt will even make you and your wife wrinkle earlier.Many of those wrinkled up very old looking commercial fishermen you see are in their 30's & 40's.It will corrode the bottom out of your beer cans if you leave them in the wrong place too long.I have seen it.If you have some one that you really don;t like.Borrow their gear.I have the casting and a spinning Glowstiks.I would never use a Glowstik around saltwater as it would corrode the electrical components and the copper wire would set up "Electrolysis" and corrode the aluminum reel seat on the rod and the aluminum in your reel.I love you Brothers and Sisters.Peewee

4. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    What he said. LMAO im in the heartland of America without a coast anywhere around for hundreds of miles. I have no idea. but PeeWee is a smart guy and from some of the advice hes given me and others on here ill tell you right now hes one of the guys i use alot of info from on this board along with others like him.

5. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Thanks for the advice Pee-Wee and CatfishHateMe. CJ21 the species of fish is blue fish. The reason I was thinking about bringing my own gear is because one Im more comfortable and the last time I went I remember they had old style equipment. I did consider the salt water environment but figured one day wouldnt do to much damage or would it?

6. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    U may need to beef up ur tackle for Blue Fish!

7. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    As I have no experience with your gear,I can not answer your question as far as the amount of damage.It will do and always does some damage.Many forget about the saltwater dried in every revolution of the line on the spool.This does corrode many spools.Not many unroll it and wash it as I did with my jury rigged,homemade spools that fit in a drill and dragged my line through a spray. The following is what I would do and do do to my Saltwater rated Shimano Charter Special 2000 LD,Mitchel Riptide 4/0 GL,Penn 345 GTL,2 Cabela's Saltstriker SS6600's,Okuma Coronado CD 90's,Shakespeare Tidewater Freeliner TWS70FL,Zebco SW 888 and my trusty old Dawia 7000C and Penn 68 both which have survived years of saltwater use.Perhaps you can compare them and the way they are built to your gear somehow on line through the different sites.It might give you a Idea of what you can expect.All of the rods are also saltwater rated.I enjoy watching my family use my gear but I personally see to it's cleaning and maintenance when used.I always would use a fine misting nozzle to wash my gear.I am talking about fogging it long enough to dissolve the dried salt.If I decided to use my gear,I would buy two gallons of distilled water and a quart spray bottle.Distilled water will desolve the calcium encrusted salts that most tap water won;t.I tried them side by side when I lived a block and a half from the Atlantic Ocean.If you happen to submerge your rig,dunk it repeatedly in a bucket of fresh water to wash out what you can.Then dunk and soak it in distilled water for at least 2 preferably 4 hours if you can raising and letting the water run through every now and then.If you already have salt water in your reel,you are removing it.The fresh water is a lot better for it than what you have in it.Dried salt water is a lot worse and harder to remove than the "Spots"that most tap water leaves on your car when it dries on it.At first opportunity Please disassemble and clean it.Many have never done as I do.I have 25-40 year old gear used heavily in saltwater that is still in great shape.I had much more that was stolen from me.You sound as if you are going to take it.You bought your gear to enjoy.I enjoy the maintenance on mine.It was and is part of my fishing.Have a great trip and a great time.Don;t forget to let us know how things work out.I am still learning too.The future is the answer to most questions.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

8. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Thanks pee-wee I guess with age comes wisdom...:smile2: My Shimano Saragosa and Pfluger are salt rated. The Saragosa is probably my toughest rod in my line up follow by Shimana Socorro my oldest rod. As far as the reels go the Sahara 8000 is probably the sturdiest reel .Not the rods I worry so much but my precious reels. I actually purchased the Shimano Saragosa just for if and when I go ocean fishing but has seen little use as its a one piece heavy rod which i loathe to carry(order online didnt check to see it was a one piece). But I might reconsider taking my equipment and if I do I will make sure to give it a good cleaning.

9. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I have been often called and most likely earned the term"Fanatical"when it comes to cleaning my salt water equipment.My father who was born and raised in Mobile Alabama taught me this way.Many things do stand up to saltwater better now.Remember that "wisdom" is knowledge learned through experience.Intelligence is not required to obtain wisdom.The only claim to wisdom that I can make is through time and experience.It sounds as if you buy with the future in mind.I had Steel feeler gages with a Brass blade corrode while stored completely submersed in motor oil while I lived at the Beach.I am eagerly awaiting your trip and the results.While I can tell you what I do and have done,only you and circumstance can decide for you.You may know or think of many better ways.That is one of the great things about the BOC.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

10. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Thanks again pee-wee hopefully I can rally the troops to actually go deep sea fishing if not I might just venture out there with whomever I can gather. I will take your advice for the time been I am uncertain but if I do bring my own equipment Im guessing it will be the Saragosa Rod and maybe the Sahara 8000 or Pfluger just seems to me the Shimano is built sturdier. Thanks for yours words of wisdom.

11. ggoytia

ggoytia New Member

State:
    Texas, Fort Worth
    Quick suggextions if you are fishing straight down pick up some 6oz weight, some mackrel and frozen squid and the best of all circle hooks. If by any chance you do not like live or cut bait then pick up some glow in the dark squids around 4-5 inches and you will slaughter them the same squid will work wonders with small strips of squid.. The fresher the better. We used to fill up our coolers fishing off of our kayaks in mexican waters.
    As for the gear salt is deadly on everything please spend the $8-10 bucks on the rental. All that salt corrodes everything. If you make the decision to take your own rod and reels please rinse them off immediatly and a quick squirt of wd-40. Less work just use the rental

12. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Thanks for the advice ggoytia. Glow in the dark squid hmmm where you get that from do we have a new catfish bait. I was going on one of those part baits and using I guess whateva they provided us. Live and cut bait doenst bother me at all.

13. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I have an old Abu 5000 with bushings and a Zebco 33 that have seen some saltwater fishing for over 20 years.Had a nice Abu 5000c with bearings that was killed on the first trip.I use Penn's with bushings and they seem to hold up.Hosing down with fresh water as soon as you are done fishing helps a lot.
    Fishing for blue's on the gulf coast I still use the old 5000 and have caught many in the 2 to 5 lb. range.Blue's on the east coast are larger.With your saltwater rated reels you should be OK with them.For deep sea fishing I would want a reel with matching rod rated at least 4/0.
    Jake

14. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Thanks kyjake east coast I am heading Jersey Shore to be exact. I remember the last time I went out I won the pool I think the fish was 14lbs. Was just curious to see how spinning gear will hold up to those type of fish. Maybe I will bring my rod and still rent the equipment catch one or two fish and then use the rented equipment.