Catfish Biting?

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by Master Juggalo, Feb 8, 2006.

1. Master Juggalo

Master Juggalo New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Hey everyone umm I was wondering if the catfish are biting yet? Also was wondering what temp would they becoming active at what bait would be good for this cold weather also when and where do catfish spawn at? Thanks

2. webster_catman

webster_catman New Member

State:
    webster
    hey nice to see another juggalo on the board. the catfish never stopped biteing just slowed down some. i dont know about the tempatures but the channels ussually spawn in shallow water weith alot of cover from what i know. not sure when they do though. and one more thing welcome to the boc

3. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    Channels and Blues are still biting. Just find a wintering hole and that will be your best bet

4. brian sax

brian sax New Member

State:
    shawnee kansas
    cut bait would be the best bait to use while the water is cold, any type of stink bait doesnt do good during this cold water. like they said they are always biting, just have to find them.

5. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I caught two this morning and it was miserable fishing conditions. 15-20mph winds and a brief period of snow. Both were caught on shad heads.

This winter my experience has been that there are certain areas where I can catch 10-12 fish, but they seem to be in narrow pockets of water. I have spent the past few trips targeting large Blues with larger baits and hitting areas where they stage to feed, so I have kinda neglected going for channels.

If you are limited to bank fishing, then you may or may not be in a place where the fish are and it will be tougher. If you have the luxury of beiing able to move around and cover water you will be able to find them, but it may takes some time unless you get lucky and hit them on the first hole you fish.

6. FRANK

FRANK New Member

State:
    Welland,Ontario,Canada
    I wouldn't know if I could find catfish this time of year because I never try due to all the ice that I have to deal with.

Good Luck to you all that get the chance to fish this time of year:)

7. cooterbrown

cooterbrown New Member

State:
    illinois
    I talked to a guy at work yesterday and he said they were biteing good at the local lake right off the road way on shad guts

8. Jeff2069

Jeff2069 New Member

State:
    LA
    We have been putting a few in the boat this winter with Night Crawlers, seems that is about the only thing they are biting on around here

9. bankshot729

bankshot729 New Member

State:
    illinois
    we've been catching some channel and a few blues...problem where i fish most is that the river is too high...generally, we do pretty good this time of year on guts and strips

10. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    My brother has been tearing the cats up on cut skipjack. He caught a dozen nice cats yesterday and a 50 lber on Friday. Fishing in the Ohio River. The water temp is 41 degrees. C4

11. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

I would suggest hitting power plant lakes if you have them in your area. If the plant is constantly running, the fish will be biting.

Ray

12. fishmania

fishmania New Member

State:
    kentuky
    I was with c4 and his brother yesterday vern is the cat daddy when it comes to making a guy look bad.

13. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    yeah the fish r biting ask VERN i aint jealous i know how it is (just wish id been in his boat ) :cry-big: :grin-big: nah seriously tho vern is good but we where in the spot vern was at the bottom of the hole in shallower water the fish i hung were quite large we were at the upper end of the hole if we had sat there longer we'd a done better . patience is the key just cause vern was tearing them up didnt mean alot the two fish i hung ripped the hook out this tends to happen when i use 5/0 small gauge hooks but hardly miss fish with 5/0 10 gauge hooks ,hook size determines alot in this area . iv got vern on tape catching 13 fish all under 15# he threw back all the channles and only kept 2 5# blues to eat . i just called vern and he said he was siting in forty foot fishing in 20 to 40 foot all the channles came from the shallows the blues from 40 he said we should have hung alot bigger fish i know the two i hung felt nice but got off half way up . me and fishmania where siting in 34 fishing 45 to 54 feet . next time we'll hook up hopefully :rolleyes: