Catfish Bites

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by Shutupandfish, Jul 14, 2009.

1. Shutupandfish

Shutupandfish New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Anyone having any luck on the Missi? Trying to get on the river this weekend.

2. Stl-Stitch

Stl-Stitch New Member

State:
    Saint Charles, MO
    Nope it's been slow.

3. buckdoe270

buckdoe270 New Member

State:
    Overland, Mo
    For me at least, been slow.:crazy:
    looking forward to the bite picking up soon.:wink:

4. TN Greg

TN Greg Member

State:
    MO
    Yeah, stitch only caught a 65lber and 84lber in the past two weeks. He's on a bit of dry spell???

Expectations are pretty high in the death barge. :crazy:

5. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    We nabbed about 150 pounds worth last night. Bite was real subtle. Just about every fish we had to set the hook on. Fish were fatter than ticks and not a mark on em. Females maybe? I dunno. I'd scale your bait sizes down a bit though and don't expect slams. Biggest fish was prob 35 pounds or so.

6. Ol Swampy

Ol Swampy New Member

State:
    Festus Mo.
    BOOO FREAKINNNN HOOOOO!!!!!:roll_eyes: Gime your slow bite:wink:

7. Beckman

Beckman New Member

State:
    O'Fallon MO

We have been catching limits of 2-4lb channel cats in about 9-12' water depth over small to medium chunck rock. The bluecat bite has been kinda slow overall for us, but we have been catching some in the 10-20lb range. Listen to Cuz with regards to what he says about using smaller bait presentations as that has been working for us to lately. Hope this helps you.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2009
  8. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I'm going against the grain with many opinions around here and say the males are still on the beds. I've only caught one fish over the last month that was obviously beat up from the nest. All the rest have been nice & sleek. Females after laying eggs will go on a eating spree to "beef" back up while the males are still nesting & not competing. This is only going to last for a few weeks and then the males will come off the nest starving for anything. I do think that is about to happen any day now, but hasn't yet.

9. russ

russ New Member

State:
    dexter. mo
    i was up there Friday pre fishing with Patrick & Willie, when we came in two guys where taking pics. of two fish they got. one blue one fatty. i weighed the fish for them. they thought the blue was a fifty pounder, it was 39. but it was a male and it was beat up bad , he looked like you dragged it down the road with a rope this tells me that they are still on the beds, or just now coming off. pat & Willie talked the guys into letting the blue go, it was just about dead so we put it in my tank and shot some oxygen to it, it took a little bit, but he swam off on his own and went down.

10. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Your not by yourself with that thinking Tom. I've been saying the same thing. It's my belief were right in the middle of the spawn right now. My guess is over the next two weeks the males should begin coming off the nest and you'll begin to see more and more large females caught. Most, even some biologist, said the fish spawned early, but I disagree. Depending on where you live I guess, but here I believe we are late. I've seen Alot of fish caught the past 2 weeks and there hasn't been one skinny fish with a mark on it yet. Every fish has been healthy, unbelievably fat, and not a mark or scar on them. We took a couple pics of a 35 pound blue I caught. Swamp has em. I'll see if he can email me one.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2009
  11. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    I've caught quite a few beat up males the last few weeks though....:confused2: that's why I say it's over. Of course if I'm wrong and you're right and they come off the beds here in the next week or two that will work for me! My brother and cousin are coming to town on August 3rd and staying all week to fish! So I'm hoping to put them on a few hawgs while they're here. If they are indeed still on the beds and come off soon, they will be getting here for a very very hot bite! :big_smile: I hope anyway!!!!:crazy:

12. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Brother Rat makes a very good point. Depending on where you fish you will start to see more and more beat up fish. Catfish spawning is a process and doesn't have defined dates and times for a start and finish. It's just like the whitetail rut. There is a trickle in, the main stage, and a trickle out effect. Not all the fish will be spawning at the same time. Some fish are coming off the beds already for sure as evidenced by Rats catches. it's my feeling were in the thick of it right now. I believe most of the females have laid there eggs, or finishing up right now, and the males are doing there sentinal duties. I think well begin to see more and more beat up males " the rats" caught over the next 2 or 3 weeks. Looks to me like the big females are really beginning to eat as evidenced by the large number of big fish that have been caught the last 2 and 3 weeks. For example Rat and Stitches large fish they have nabbed. Also alot of 20 plus fish being caught and not a whole lot of rats. And of course keeping in mind were covering just about 200 miles of river just here I'm gateway alone. Alot can change from one section of river to another.

13. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Whatever our thoughts on the spawn though, the fish that are being caught are extremely fat and healthy and not real hungry. They are smacking the baits around and not aggressively hitting with a very few exceptions. If it were me, I'd be tossing small Asian carp baits at em and picking up the rods when they start nibbling. I think you'll hook quite a bit more if you can feel and anticipate the bite. They just arnt roasting the rods over right now. There too full.

14. slider

slider New Member

State:
    louisiana, mo
    heres another thought for the guys
    over the past several years ive noticed
    that they tend to hit the live bait post spawn
    harder than they do the cut bait.
    they tend to bump the cut bait around
    when anchored and just slam the live bait
    just my 2 cents

later
    slidr

15. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Great tidbit of info Slider. So many of us, me included, tend to forget the kittens do like live baits. Thx for the reminder.

16. wishiwasfishing

wishiwasfishing Member

State:
    missouri
    Name:
    Capt. Jason

Ive been out the last couple of nights throwing cut bait and watching my rods pumle over, one almost came out of the rod holder, and all the fish are in perfect shape with no scars and are fattys, just round as can be. I am seeing a lot of small to medium hits and then all of a suden wham. We have ben pulling some decent blues with the biggest being three 50# 'ers and several others in the 40's ,30's,20, and the ocasional dink.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2009
  17. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    What part of MO you from Jason?

18. wishiwasfishing

wishiwasfishing Member

State:
    missouri
    Name:
    Capt. Jason
    South County (Oakville area)

19. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    I have been doing just fine on cut bait except for during tourney's:smile2: During tourney's it seems like it doesn't matter what you throw at em they just don't want to bite.:smile2:

20. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Interesting observation Jason. Sure hasnt been the case with any of our fish, even the big ones.