Catfish Baits - Whats your favorite overall for all Catfish

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by thecatman, Feb 20, 2006.

1. thecatman

thecatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    what is your favorite bait for catfish as a whole?

personnally i prefer to use 2-5 inch bluegill

2. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I mainly use cut skip jack, but have used shad,cut blue gill,live blue gill, dip bait, and yes chicken liver.:)

3. chubbahead

chubbahead Member

State:
    Ohio
    My favorite bait would be shad. What I use the most is probably chubs though. They are just easier for me to get.

4. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    I use shad (alive and cut)gills, crappie, toads, grass hoppers.

5. thecatman

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    what exactly is a skipjack?

6. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    anybody ever try Ivory soap? I've been told it works good on blues, but never tried it.

7. G3Morton

G3Morton New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I didn't see it, but my step dad said he watched a couple of guys using Ivory soap on the Ohio River, and he said that they caught several nice size catfish.

8. thecatman

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    i found some soap bait one time but it was sold before i had the money for it two days later so i guess the stuff works if it sells that fast but i will try it this year to find out

9. G3Morton

G3Morton New Member

State:
    Indiana
    thecatman -

Skip jack are in the Herring family. I catch them on the Ohio River. They range in all sizes, one day you may catch them in the 6" size and the next day they might be 2 lbs..

Some where on this web site is a picture of a skip jack, but I don't remember where at.

Hope this help's some,,,,, Morton

10. thecatman

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    so is a skipjack basically a version of a shad?

11. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
  12. thecatman

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    where can i find skipjack are they easy to locate and what can i use to catch them

13. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Brandon, I see you are from Texas, I am sure Texas has skips. Try below a dam on a river. I do not know how far you are from the Sabine River, I am sure that river has skips. The skips have a tenancy to hang out in a strong current.

14. thecatman

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    ok thanks for the help sgt but what would i use to catch them? can you catch them on rod and reel or just with a net?

15. Mountain Cur

Mountain Cur New Member

State:
    Missouri, Warsaw
    Hearing someone mention soap baits reminded of a time when Truman Lake was still the Osage River. If memory serves in 1956 Ivory bar soap was the hot bait. It was cut in chunks with a hole in it and slipped on the line similar to cotton seed cake. When word got out about the soap doing so well on trot lines and limb lines you couldn't find a bar of Ivory between Warsaw and K.C. Missouri. One grocery store in Harrisonville, Mo. sold 30 cases in one day. Since that was before we started packing everyting with the metric system I'm assuming there was 144 bars to the case. On occasion I will use Ivory soap to prove a point, but I prefer fresh shad, cut or hole in the lake or river and crawdads in the creeks. If I'm fishing for channels I prefer 3 inch shiners or chubs. I've found where I fish and what I'm fishing for determines what "MY Favorite" bait is.

16. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Brandon, we use rod and reed and crappie jigs. Pink heads and with white curly tails. Rig them in tandum on your main line of your rod. I put three on mine.

17. thecatman

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    good point cur. but i have had the best success overall for channels blues and flats with the live gills in the lake or the river

im glad to see that everyone has diff opinions on baits because the way the market is now its easy to get confused with all the different baits

18. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    For me it is a close tossup between bluegill and rockbass. Rockbass seem to have a little more fiestiness to them. Bluegill are just naturally prey for them and seem to live really well in my bucket.

19. Drum Andersen

Drum Andersen New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    My favorite would have to be the creek chub, they make great flathead bait when alive and good channel bait when they're cut up.

20. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    crappie is the best live bait i have ever used. sadly i have grown up scince those good old days and no longer use crappie or several other good baits i know of because it is illegal in the states i fish in to use game fish for bait.:sad: :sad: :sad: i still love me some big ole threadfins though.