catfish bait

Discussion in 'LOCAL GEORGIA TALK' started by papasage, Jul 16, 2008.

1. papasage

papasage Member

State:
    Fitzgerald, Geo
    i know some of you if not all have use hotdogs for bait . do you ever use WD40 on them as a attracton?:0a24::0a35:

going to blacksher this weakin will try it .

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I have heard of this, but have never tried it myself. There are some other threads about this, Seems very popular

3. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    I have used hotdogs for bait, but never WD-40 on them. I have heard of this and have thought about spraying the hands with it to mask the odors from my smoking and butt scratching.:smile2:

4. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    I have heard of using wd 40 but have never tried it. I think that using wd 40 might harm the waters eventually. It is petrolium based and has some other chemicals in it. Don't want to take a chance on further polluting up the waters than has already been done.

5. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    Not the WD-40. You've opened a can of worms with that:smile2:. Man oh man has it been discussed throughout the years.:crazy:

6. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    I have to agree also I would wonder if the oil in the WD40 would ruin the catfish that was caught on it

7. papasage

papasage Member

State:
    Fitzgerald, Geo
    i herd that wd40 was made from fish oil :confused2:. use fish oil capsules stick a hook into them put some on your bait :big_smile:

8. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    I ain't heard that if so throws a new light on the whole thing

9. massa_blake

massa_blake Member

State:
    Texas
    Name:
    Blake
    I know in Texas that they have outlawed using WD-40 because they say it will polute the water.

10. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    Hi Folks,
    Not poking them folks from texas but they like using dynamight for catfish dont they!

LOL:smile2:

11. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    Only when they won't bite any other way Brian.

12. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    Yeap, thats what I thought!

LOL:smile2:

13. papasage

papasage Member

State:
    Fitzgerald, Geo
    so ga we use a telephone..:crazy::big_smile_2:

14. smackover

smackover New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Several years ago in Louisianna we used WD 40 on
    carolina rigged plastic worms.

Hadn't thought of putting it on hot dogs....probably will work as well as garlic powder and red cool ade

Regards

Smackover

15. richard dunbar

richard dunbar New Member

State:
    Washington
    I used it when I was young and caught a ton of fish, but I have to agree that its not good for the water and I wont use it anymore

16. hoth2o

hoth2o New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I would think that WD-40 would be bad for the environment. I have heard about guys using it to keep hooks from rusting.

17. papasage

papasage Member

State:
    Fitzgerald, Geo
    :0a26:fish oil capsules punch a hole in it and squeeze a drop or 2 on your bait .cod liver oil is good to .

18. runabout199

runabout199 New Member

State:
    Cartersville, G
    i agree here it will slowlypolute the waters imo im not a scientist but not mentally hadicapped either.

19. armyfisher

armyfisher Member

State:
    georgia
    if you get online and check around for wd-40 and fishing you will get a few answers, some say its the best some say its the worst thing and it messes up the waters, i lean to the last two. heres another thing to in some states i dont know about GA but it is illegal to use wd-40 while fishing. one website i read and if i find it i'll put it on here states during a labratory test they used a couple of around the house chemicals to attract fish the one that came out first hands down was preperation-h. the reason behind this is because preperation-h has shark pheremones in it thus causing the fish to go crazy and get even more attracted to whatever is in the water. the stuff is non toxic and wont mess up the waters hell might even help out ol flattie down there with some butt cramps, but it does work, a friend of mine caught the daily limit in a little over 4 hours here at fort gordon using this along with chicken liver, he was fishing pretty much a stagnet pond, but it brought up the lunkers hope this helps ya out brother and if i'm wrong or right let me know

20. papasage

papasage Member

State:
    Fitzgerald, Geo
    i have tried this and it works . put raw peanuts in a container cover with hot water let stand a couple of days till it stinks like a wet hog pen . put out on a flat near a river channel or most anywhere you think channel cats hang out on a lake . they will come to the smell .i am trying to figure out where to put them in the river where the ware wan`t wash them away . maby just below a sand bar where the water swirls back into a Edie . what you AL think ?
    Flatheads don`t eat that but the channel cats love it