catfish bait

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by jugginman, Jan 9, 2008.

1. jugginman

jugginman New Member

State:
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    OK, I have a question for all of you. Has any one tried using pieces of spoon bill meat for catching blues? A friend of mine who Guides up on Grand( mainly spoonbill) has sent some of his secret bait home with a friend of mine. I put it in the freezer, but have not gotten to try it due to the ice and wind. Thought I just might need to spend a little time catching some "RED NECK SWORDFISH":smile2:

2. dobbie

dobbie Member

Bobby I have two buddies who use it all the time at Twin Bridges.They wait at the cleaning station,and get the belly meat from people cleaning fish.They use belly meat on jugs,and spoonbill eggs on rod and reel.I have tried it on a couple lakes that don't have spoonbills and it didn't work there.

3. olddriller

olddriller New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Bobby.
    In Missouri it is a no no to fish with any part of a Spoonbill for bait. And I did not know that you could use the eggs or any part of them for bait in Ok.. Last year when I was snagging in Ok. I threw the eggs in the river because I didn't know what else to do with them. I think it is against law to take them across a state line. I was told that they are good bait, but I doint know how to keep them on a hook. I think the state of OK. will be selling the eggs this year. They will clean the fish for you but keep the eggs. I have never had them clean any for me , but would like some feed back on how good of a job they are doing on the cleaning. Personaly I would only use the red meat and fat for bait , I like to eat the white meat and would not use it for bait. Have you been catching any of them yet? I heard they were getting some trolling in about 30 ft. of water somewhere in the area of Sailboat Bridge. Good Luck

4. whitney weese

whitney weese New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    You can use spoon bill eggs for caviar. I think you can take them over state lines but you have to have a OK fishing lic. and can only take so much raw or processed eggs. As for using them for fishing i don't know if you can you any part of the spoon bill as bait or the eggs. if any one can find out i would like to know. Might make a good trout bait when cured. The only game fish i know you can use as bait is trout for striper fishing in the lower Illinois river below ten killer lake.

5. LinebBoatRunner

LinebBoatRunner New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    save a little belly meat from your summertime blues or channels. if you dont snag for spoons youll still have something to use in the fall and wintertime. also it works realy well in the late fall

6. dobbie

dobbie Member

I guess my buddies are breaking the law using spoonbill for bait.They keep a spool of sewing thread in the boat ,and make several wraps around the hook.If you use the belly meat for bait make sure you get the hook in the red meat and not in the skin.The skin is very tough and it is hard to geyt the hook out.

7. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    I've used spoonbill for bluecat bait for years and yes it's legal to use. I've had the same experience as Dobbie....works great in lakes and rivers where spoonbill are located but not worth a damm anywhere else. I've tried them on Oolagah, Copan, upper caney river and maybe have caught two or three small bluecats in all that time. I've caught the tar out of bluecats on the Bend using spoonbill parts.

8. catfishcentral

State:
    OK

9. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
  10. South Grand Laker

South Grand Laker New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    That would be sweet if they'd clean them for you down on the Grand River, but i couldn't imagine them cleaning them they way i like them cleaned anyways, then again i don't need any spoonbill that bad

11. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    How many out there have eaten spoonbill, and what did you think of them? When I was stationed in Montana, most folks thought spoonbill meat tasted better than trout. I've never had a chance to try it myself.

12. jugginman

jugginman New Member

State:
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    Thanks for all of the input. I have ate spoon bill, personally, I think it is more trouble than it is worth. It is a little chewey. I guess I will need to try it for bait on Grand. Yes we are catching quite a few around Sail boat bridge, but I think you can say that about Sail boat 12 Months a year.

13. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    In Oklahoma, you can use any legally caught gamefish or parts of that gamefish for bait as long as you count that legal gamefish in your daily limit. Watch the minimum length limit if you use whole crappie or bass for bait, though.

I usually make caviar from the spoonbill eggs, but one spoonie will provide enough eggs for five pounds of finished caviar... that's more than a lifetime supply for me. I used some roe last year to make a dip bait for trout... worked pretty good.

14. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    How much longer is the spoonbill snagging going to be good for? When does it die down?

15. catfishcentral

State:
    OK
    There's some that start snagging and trolling for spoonbill right now. The main action is really not till late March, April and early May. There's lots of good places to snag. Twin Bridges at Grand, The Bend above Ft. Gibson
    (where I go) and below Kaw Dam is the most popular places. Any lake or river that's part of the Grand or Arkanas basins all hold spoonbill.

16. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Below Ft Gibson dam, it's later in the year, around june to august

17. zimzam

zimzam New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
    Hi all,
    I heard that the wildlife dept will be cleaning paddlefish this year. And they will be keeping the eggs. Will they have cleaning stations at Keystone or Kaw lakes???

18. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    Just on Grand at the twin bridges area.