catfish bait

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by plumbertom1, Dec 19, 2006.

1. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    I rolled out of bed early this morning (4:30) and had a couple cups of wide awake and hit the road for the short drive down the 405 to meet with Bay Runner Ray (Gilmafam) at his house.
    When I got there he was out side hooking up his boat so I got out my rods and box and we loaded them up.
    A quick stop around the corner at Mickey D's for a bite and up PCH we went.
    A bit up the road and we were at Marina Del Raye, minutes later we were on the water and stopping for bait ('dines) and out the harbor we went.
    I want to say right here that Ray has his 18' craft decked out to be a real fishing machine.
    A couple of miles out of the harbor Ray stopped to rig up and do a quick drop. Ray baited his rock cod rig with cut squid and cut sardines, I baited mine with Berkley Gulp 4" red grubs for saltwater, and down to the bottom they went 170'.
    Nothing was happening so we cranked them up and...BANG about 25' below the boat I got hit and pulled in two macs about 11".
    I figure at this point we aren't skunked as we got some catfish bait at least. I dropped back down a little ways to see but no more takers.
    Ray said "let's run out a little further and try the rock pile" and I said "your the captain"
    Four miles further out we found some willing biters, first I pulled up a couple of 5" chuckle-heads, one of which Ray filleted and added to his bait mix. Another drop or few produced three chili peppers and a salmon grouper, no big fish but tasty ones none the less.
    Now, while It seamed as if I was going to be the only one that didn't smell skunk Ray was biding his time when WHUMP, he got a solid strike, and pulled up a 23" Ling Cod. Of course it had to go back seeing how it was two inches short of legal size AND the season closed on them the last day of November.
    After a few more tries and nothing going we ran back inside and slow drift-trolled to see if a flat fish wanted to play but couldn't find any takers so we called it a half day, as per plan, and went in.
    A good morning on the water and a couple of fish sandwiches plus some fresh catfish bait. All in all not too bad.

2. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Sounds like a good trip. what was the weather like down there Tom?

3. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    Way to go Tom. Have you had much luck with the gulp products Tom? I bought a packet of peeler crabs and shrimp but have not have a chance to use them.
    Hi Rob, how are you doing buddy.

Jaime

4. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali

Hey Jaime.....Doing pretty good. How you been ?You rested up from the National Gathering?

5. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Nice to get out on the water and get some bait. You got some good eaters on those rockfish. I take those anytime.

6. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Mid to high 60's plenty of sunshine a few high clouds winds about 3- 5 mph hardly any swell to speak of , generally a gorgeous day

7. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    I have been using Gulp products for rock fish ever since they were recommended to me by Len Taylor at Taylor Tackle on Sherman Way in Canoga Park. I was in one day picking up a couple of two hook rock cod rigs and he told me that it would out perform cut bait. I was sceptical but Having heard about it at the Fred Hall Show last year and not wanting to be closed minded I purchased a pack to try out. Those two ling cod you see in my Icon photo were just part of the catch I had that day, along with those there were several shorts and a full sack of mixed vermillion rock fish of good size and some of the broadest shouldered copper rockfish I have ever caught, they did not work so well for whitefish but that could have been the large hooks I was using. I will never go rockfishing as long as they make this product without it. And I think Bay Runner Ray will be down at the tackle shop to pick some up before long.

8. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Jaime, did you see the gulp surf fishing tournament on espn a few weeks ago? Everybody was using the baits that you have and were catching everything from croaker to flatfish with them.

9. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Sounds like you had a great trip Jamie:0a23:

10. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    Hi Robb, doing good buddy. Had a great time at the National gathering. I am still thinking of the whole fiasco witht the flight situation though. Next year is going to be a good one. I plan on attending the gathering on the Colorado river and Keystone gathering in Tulsa, Ok.
    Hi Tom, was it on Inside Sportfishing, surf fishing in Huntington Beach?

11. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    That was the one.

12. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Hey Tom, sounds like you had a great time.By the way, I went to Canoga Park High school for half a year in 68, were you there then? I lived on Gorden in an app. I have an Uncle who lives on Owensmouth. If I ever get out to visit him we can Hook up. I take the trip up the vine with ya. lol:big_smile:

13. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    No Jack, I'm not a local. I went to high school in Norwalk, Ca. at Excelsior High School. You may have seen the movie, Grease II, that was filmed on the campus. I was Class of '71.
    I have been living with my daughter and her husband since having hip replacement surgery in April of this year. Although I'm quite mobile I am not able to return to work as a plumber, so I gave my daughter the down payment on the house they purchased so I would have a place to live.
    I have been living and working in Orange Co. for the past 15 years and though I know where Owensmouth is, I'm not too familiar with the area as yet.
    Just trying to learn the fishing spots within an hour or two drive right now.

14. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    I really enjoyed that episode insidesportfishing. I defenitaly enjoyed that episode. I will have to try surf fishing at Huntingbeach sometime.
    I would really appreciate driving directions to Huntington Beach. It be pretty cool to catch some surfperch,corbina and maybe a halibut.

Jaime

15. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Take the 405 South to Beach Blvd, turn right (south) and go to the end.
    Try to stay south of the pier, that always seems to produce the best.
    Watch out for the surfers, they don't always watch for you, too much salt water on the brain.
    That's also a state beach so be prepared to pay a day use fee.
    better surf fishing down the coast toward Oceanside for the 'buts.
    I hear they been getting some stripers in the surf up north of Malibu.

16. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    Thanks for the driving directions Tom. Hopefully I will have a chance to go soon.

P.S. nice yellowtail in your profile picture and really nice setup you have.

Jaime

17. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Jaime as you can see the boat is the Freedom out of 22nd st. that was an open party trip to Clemente a couple of mo. ago.
    I casted out an 8" 'dine and threw it right in his mouth.

18. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Jaime I just read in WON that the YF croakers and larger surf perch are biting good at Bolsa Chica by the new jetty so if you want to try that when you get to the endof Beach bvld turn right and go about 2 miles.

19. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    I been on the Freedom a number of times. I wonder if they have the same captain? Frank out of 22nd street is the coolest. He use to post here a lot in the past. He is an advid catfisherman.

20. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Yes....You talking bout Frank. Capt. still heading the the boat last I heard. Real nice guy. was a regular on BOC 3 or 4 years ago. Came to the first Mendota gathering with several ice chest full of bait. Phillip and I didn't need cut bait for a year:smile2: