Catfish Bait

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by stangcrazy85, May 21, 2009.

1. stangcrazy85

stangcrazy85 New Member

State:
    PerryTucky
    seems i never hear anyone talk about goldfish as bait i know they are costly i still manage to buy some here and there now i have a pons that seems i can only catch warmouth and huge golden shiners i have tried it all but alive Desode says cut fresh and he consistnly produces so i take his word i need to know what everybody really likes and how so it is prepared thanks to all PM me if needed
    Toby

2. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    For channels, fresh cut shad.

3. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Ohio river Flatheads just love fresh bloody cut shad, never doubt it!
    Now fresh and bloody is the key here. You must keep them on ice with out any water to leach them out. I keep mine in plastic bags. :wink:

4. stangcrazy85

stangcrazy85 New Member

State:
    PerryTucky
    so put the alive shad in a cooler full of ice is that what you mean then cut them as needed

5. CatBobJimFish

CatBobJimFish New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio

Sounds pretty similiar to the way I do it, I put each fish in it's own individual sanwhich bag, and toss em in the freezer. I'll take them out and let 'em thaw for an hour or two before I head to the lake. I bring an 8"x14" piece of MDF to the lake with me to use as a cutting board for cutting up the bait.

6. catfishfearme

catfishfearme New Member

State:
    govecity,ohio
    i put 4 or 5 in a bagie and frezse them up, when i head to the lake i put them in a biglunch cooler i dont take to work any more, then ill put in 1 of them big plastic things thats filled with gel that frezes up, they work good, then ill cut up my bait as need ed and let it warm up in the water that way the blood and all will be out there with it:wink:

7. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
    me too, took my buddy last night and he had put our shad in warm water to help it thaw, he he, didn't catch a fish.

8. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If you want action, do not freeze. The blood must be red. If you freeze shad the blood will turn brown, this is ok if you cant get fresh bait and that's all you have, but not good. They have to be fresh and on ice. :wink:

9. stangcrazy85

stangcrazy85 New Member

State:
    PerryTucky
    fresh and on ice gottcha i'll do just that

10. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    I buy the gold fish for 10 bucks a pound. Good buy for the bait an what it catches!