Catfish Bait - Where to find Shad Guts?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by bankshot729, Feb 2, 2006.

1. bankshot729

bankshot729 New Member

State:
    illinois
    Can anyone tell me anywhere I can buy some shad guts. I live in east central illinois. I used to buy guts in Paducah. Lately, I've been picking up shad along the lake and gutting/stripping them myself. I do a lot of fishing and I can't keep up with how much bait I use. All help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

2. Rat

Rat New Member

State:
    Forrest Illinoi
    Bankshot, how far are you from Pontiac Illinois? Last year a gas station in town was selling shad guts. I can stop in and check if they got them now, or will have them soon if you are close enough to make the drive worthwhile.
    Rat

3. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    Hey, I live in east central ilinois as well. There are a few places here in decatur that sell shad guts. What lake are you fishing ?

4. bankshot729

bankshot729 New Member

State:
    illinois
    I live south of Sullivan on Lake Shelbyville. I mostly channel fish on the Wabash and White Rivers. I'm not sure how far I am from Pontiac. I would guess probably 2 1/2 hours from Pontiac.

5. Rat

Rat New Member

State:
    Forrest Illinoi
    Have you checked all the local baitshops? I've got a list of 4 of them in your area with phone numbers if you want to call them and ask.
    Rat

6. Hazmat

Hazmat New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Is there no place to net them, near you? Couple weeks ago, me and 2 buddies put up 25 pint of guts in the freezer in about an hour. They run into any small, fast-flowing areas this time of year. Got 'em in a drainage creek from local lake.

Look for warm water discharges from power plants, grain processing plants and the like. Toss a throw net in and away you go...

Not buttin' in, but I can't stand to buy the dang things. When they're the right bait, we go through a pint a day, per person...:)

7. Catchinbiguns

Catchinbiguns Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    I would say to check your area bait shop, one of our main bait shops around here sells them year around.

8. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

The only place I can get them is in MO down by Mark Twain Lake. I'm not the greatest with a cast net, and I'm always a day late on finding the shad anyway.

Ray

9. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Kevin, just out of curiosity, how much do you pay for a pint of guts, when you can buy them? Here in Kansas they're going for $8 a pint with tax. I can remember when they were $1.25. I have to admit, it's a job gutting them, but it sure beats paying that much for something that's free. A week ago we put up 16 pints in a couple of hours.

10. mikey0143

mikey0143 New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Where is shad gut? Well, in his belly off course. Hahahah. The best way to obtain shad gut is to catch shads during the early season and then store them in the freezer. Two days before your planned outting, leave them in room temp and you should be good to go.

11. Darrell

Darrell New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Kevin,

I live just north of you. You can get them at the tackle shop just south of sullivan. You also can get them in charelston. I cant remember the name of the guy in Charelston but it is ussually 4-5 bucks a pint. Go through charleston past the new wal mart. Turn left at the old 16 interstection and then turn back right at the green house. You will see an old boat and a sign for bait. I go to kentucky lake every year for one day and catch skip jack at the dam. I ussually get 5-6 lbs of SK to freeze and use in the Wabash and ambarrass river. It is better than the stuff they have and I have a better response.

Darrell