Catfish Bait - What do you use?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by bigal1, Oct 16, 2005.

1. bigal1

bigal1 New Member

State:
    huntsville alabama
    what bait do you use stinkbait,livers,worms,live bait,artifical???

2. fireman10535

fireman10535 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, MO
    Hey Al,

I like to use nightcrawlers,live bait

3. bigal1

bigal1 New Member

State:
    huntsville alabama
    if i am fishing in a pond most the time i will you stinkbait,but if i am in a lake i will use livers,worms or bluegill

4. davesoutfishing

davesoutfishing New Member

State:
    Menominee Michigan
    cut shade live bullheads live bream or bream heads I fish only rivers

5. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Hey Bigal1,

I love to use Stink-Baits ("Wicked Sticky" brand) & Shad. :0a23:

Take it easy,
    Bert :cool:

6. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Hey, you left out a very important bait, LOL :D

Fresh, skipjack whole or cut dead or alive!!!

Unless you are fishing for small cats,LOL!!

7. fourteenfootcat

fourteenfootcat New Member

State:
    Big Spirit Lake, Iowa
    ....sometimes... just sometimes... in the Fall... you get a Kahle style hook and put on it...

A Mountain Oyster (sheep testical)....

....and those cats bite on them.

I've used Mountain Oysters on the Missouri River system for years in the Fall and channels love them. This is also the time of year you get out those frozen mooneye, slice them real thin, and put them on a 10/0 Diiachi Improved Bleeding Circle hook for great success under the damn at Chamberlain, South Dakota. The walleye fisherman sneer at such bait when you come walkin' by... but they know I'll outfish them ten to one. They can keep plugging away with their Rapalas and gettin' their sickly lookin' walleyes, and I'll keep catching those phat cats in Fall.

Did I ever share my thoughts on walleyes on this forum? Don't recall, but to digress a bit... My only use for them, in this life, is for cut bait, and they aren't very good as cut bait, may I say. You can de-scale them, pour garlic on them, and try to mask the walleye texture, but the cats and I know the difference. They're like a poodle with pink ribbons on it. It even sickens the cats to see such pitiful creatures...

I know my friends and my friends' enemies when I hear they're going walleye fishing in the fall. I just stare, completely puzzled, on why on earth a person would fish for a fish that is about as ferocious as Tinker Bell. But that's just my opinion....

8. Big Vert

Big Vert New Member

I use them all (well, except the oysters) and still can't catch nuttin...

9. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    We use a casting net for Shad.However, Lately we have been using Danny King's Punch Bait. This stuff is good bait........... We fish with 2oz. sinkers with two hooks above the sinker on each pole, tight line, and a bell . We just started using the Punch Bait, so we did a test. One Shad on a hook and Punch Bait on the other. The punch bait out caught the live Shad. It got to the point that we changed our riggin' to only one hook,swivel and an egg sinker with a bell. The water is tryin' to cool off so using the Punch Bait will keep us drier and warmer.

10. indiana_fishin

indiana_fishin New Member

State:
    Indiana Baby
    live gills n chicken liver

11. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Shrimp, liver, hot dogs (cheese kind work best), stink bait, bluegills, meal worms, and nightcrawlers. The last are my least favorite.

12. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    Black perch, punkinseed, creek chubs, shad, shiners, spoonbill or gar eggs, liver, beef melt. In that order.

13. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    Dude...how can you say that about walleye? I dont care if a walleye is used for bait as long as it's legal... it is here in Kansas. While I'm certainly not a purist when it comes to walleye fishing, but IMO they are the tastiest fish that swims. Nothing else I've had compares...and I've had a lot. But hey, to each their own. I always fillet everyone of them that I catch and are of legal length. I get into them during the whitebass and wiper run in the early spring. They're certainly not much fun to catch...9 lb was my best this year and it was like reeling in a snagged log. But they sure do taste good deep fried in a beer batter and seasoned with lemon pepper and coarse grind black pepper.

14. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I like to use cut and live shad.

15. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Fresh cut skipjack; fresh cut shad; frozen skipjack. (It's a tossup between the fresh shad and frozen skipjack.) Backup baits include cured chicken liver, chitlings, bacon, and salt pork.

16. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Fresh cut bait. Oily type like bonita and skip jack.

17. misterwhiskers

misterwhiskers New Member

State:
    Trenton
    I'm with Catcaller,
    Would much rather put it in a fry pan than a hook,walleye that is!Most times it is alot like pulling dead weight but sometimes they hit pretty hard make a quick run then its like reeling up a boulder.

Chicken livers,shrimp,cut herring,cut mackrel and what produces best for me cut shad(when available)

18. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    My primary bait that I use is cut skip jack,followed by shad, cut gills,dip bait, then a homemade concoction is thrown in. :D :D

19. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    I love live baits but a good fresh peace of cut bait is good and very hard to beat

20. Sentry Dog Man

Sentry Dog Man New Member

State:
    TN
    Best bait I ever used (while living in SC) was the gizzard and entrails from the gizzard shad. Caught many catfish and stripers on that bait.

But, now I am back in TN, not catching many cats and all I have had bites or catches on, have been chicken livers, creek chubs or blue gill.

You will have to determine your best bait (for your area) by experimentation and input from the locals.