Catfish Bait in Maryland!

Discussion in 'LOCAL MARYLAND TALK' started by ayokay005, Sep 6, 2006.

1. ayokay005

ayokay005 New Member

State:
    Maryland
    As far as I know, fresh shrimp is a favorite around here along with night-crawlers. What is everyone else using for bait in Maryland? Seems when I tried dough or stink-bait it flys right off the hook:sad2: !!

2. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    danny kings on a treble hook is a killer just about any fresh cut bait and i do alot with chicken heart.

3. Bob R

Bob R New Member

State:
    Woodbridge, VA
    I spent years fishing the Potomac and other local waters with night crawlers, clam snouts, shrimp and other off the shelf baits with decent success. About a year ago I purchase a cast net and started catching my bait. Fishing with the fresh bait that I caught the number and size of fish that I've been catching have increased tremendously. So, I try to use fresh bait as much as possible. If I cant get my hands on any fresh bait I like clam snouts, they allways seem to be able to catch a few.

4. jonnycat

jonnycat New Member

State:
    Maryland
    The big fish will hit all sorts of baits. As for me I'm not satisfied until I have 2 or more 10in gizzard shad for cut bait. The success rate for the larger blue catfish(in my opinion) is without a question far better with fresh cut shad. In the Spring the herring is always great if you can get it down through the stripers. Whole white perch(5in or larger) work pretty well also for the giants. We've put many 40lb plus fish in the boat with white perch hooked through the back bone so it bleeds. Hope this helps you out. I need to get to bed so I can get up early for a trip to my folks in Central Virginia. After lunch my nephew(28) is going with me to the James below Richmond for some Blue Catfish hunting. Wish us well. Later for now---jonnycat