Catfish bait holes around the Grand Island area

Discussion in 'LOCAL NEBRASKA TALK' started by subcook, Aug 9, 2009.

1. subcook

subcook Member

State:
    Grand Island, Nebraska
    does anyone know where I can find a decent place to get gills or shad for bait around the grand Island area?

2. jrgriffhusker

jrgriffhusker New Member

State:
    Minden, Nebrask
    Morman Island
    Get a hold of Mark and he knows a guy in Hastings that sells them. That way you can be legal

3. Huskercat

Huskercat New Member

State:
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    The Boat House on Hwy 281 near Kramers Recycling has live bait. I don't think they have gills, but they have big chubs and cut shad. When I catch gills for bait there, I just go to the old Evangelical Free Church on Stolley Park Rd. It's a big, brown building just west of Blaine on the north side of Stolley. There is a small detention cell there. Use a piece of corn or crawler and a tiny hook and you'll get em. There is actually some decent bass and crappie in there as well as some huge carp too. LE Ray is a decent spot too.

4. jrgriffhusker

jrgriffhusker New Member

State:
    Minden, Nebrask
    You should catch some of them carp and cut them up into bait. From what I hear they make awesome bait. Anybody else heard of that?

5. cavillac

cavillac Active Member

State:
    Loveland,Iowa

No, but listening!

6. fmb

fmb New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    eagle scout park north of GI.....I catch bullheads, sunfish, gills, and crawdads out there

I fish from the boat dock and cast close to the fishing dock with crawlers...for bullheads I let em sink to the bottom. for sunfish I use a bobber. and for crawdads they are right there in the rocks...

thats where I go... hope this help....other wise just ask me for some bait man:smile2:

7. subcook

subcook Member

State:
    Grand Island, Nebraska
    thank's I usually catch them at eagle scout by the red bridge but lately I haven;t any luck anywhere I try to get but I"ll try the other spot an see how it goes

Thanks all and frank I will next time if I don't cacch much

8. skawez

skawez Member

State:
    Hickman, Ne
    Name:
    Steve

heard that and do that.. cut carp is awesome good once you descale it the skin is like Kevlar you can catch fish all day all night and still have the same bait on there, what works real good is the guts helps to tie them on they dont stick like the sides do..

9. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Hey Guys!! If you're around the Hastings or Grand Island area and you're needing some bait, get ahold of me and I can hook you up!! I get my Bluegills and Hybrids from a place called Willow Lake Fish Hatchery! The gentlemans prices are pretty cheap from what I've seen other places charge. Here's my phone number and his!!

Thanks.

Mark's number is.> (402) 463-9322 or cell (402) 984-0317
    Willow Lake Fish Hatchery is.> (402) 463-8022 ask for Gaylord or Scott

I'm you get in contact with me, I'll be more than happy to take you out there to show you where this place is!! It's sort of a hard place to find for the new comer.

Later bros!!

Last edited: Aug 12, 2009