Catfish bait dumplings

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by justwannano, Jan 28, 2007.

1. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    I've several jars of old catfish bait. In an effort to use it up ,probably cause I'm too cheap to throw it away, I'm wondering about making my own version of the bait by making it into bait dumplings. Why dumplings? Cause they are just basicly boiled flour and water and pretty tough. Tough enough to stay on the hook longer? Dunno.But it seems like a good idea for trot line bait.I'm pretty sure it will stay on the hook longer than doughballs and longer than preformed bait.
    What I'm lookin for is a dumpling recipe that has added ingregients in it.
    One thats interesting is a bacon flavored recipe. It has just 5 tablespoons of extra flavor enhansing ingredients.
    Anyone ever tried dumplings for bait?
    comments welcome

2. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    It sounds like a pretty good idea id like to try it maybe let me know how it works!

3. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Bob's all purpose dumplings, can be used as fish bait, survival food, keep the neighbors at bay, mark your territory, and thousands of other handy uses.

If you could find a way to make it have more resilience, it should work.

4. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    We make them for years when fishing for a living.
    Make sure to use standard flower, And when boiling them., You can add flavors to the water .
    Also as you take them out of the boiling water dip them in ice water that makes then even tougher.
    WE had big 2'X6' frames made up and had screen wire on them. That way they would dry well on them.
    Pete

5. justwannano

State:
    SE Iowa
    ShilohRed
    Was catfish your target fish?
    Did you just basicly use flour and water or did you use other ingredients.Is it a long kept family secret?
    About your fishing for a living, did you use long lines?
    Basicly how did you fish?
    seems like there are a lot of possibilities.

6. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    For the dough balls..
    If you know how to make the dough for bread or chicken and dumplings just make the dough up roll it out to about 1/2 inch thick and cut it into 3/4 to 1 inch size bait. I use a pizza cuter to cut the dough. Then put what ever flavor you like into a pot of boiling water.
    I use nutmeg in mine.
    Take the dough and put it into the water until it floats or about 3 minutes then put it into cold water for 1 minute this will make it tough. Take out of cold water and place on paper put cornmeal on them this keeps them from sticking to each other. Then I put them on a screen wire to let them dry.
    After they dry put them into a bag and go fishing.

If you don't know how to make the dough make it with flower.
    don't use self risen flower.
    Take 3 cup's of the flower and just enough water to start stirring it. When you have it right roll it out ..

We were after catfish, And were fishing trot lines in the Tn river. WE had 50 hooks per line. Hooks were spaced 8ft apart, And The lines were in a box.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/ShilohRed/fishing/img18.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/ShilohRed/fishing/jumperline02.jpg
    We would fish 10 to 15 box's per person per night 6 nights per week. WE put them out in late evening and take them back up as we took the fish off them in the am.
    Also with the lines in th boxes I can put them out running the outboard motor about 20+ MPh.
    Pete

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Pete, I've got a couple of ideas about putting cornmeal on the dumplings, and I'd like to have your opinion. Instead of cornmeal, how about one of the following:
    garlic powder
    vanilla
    anise
    cheese powder (for making cheese sauce)
    shrimp flavor powder from Ramen noodles

I've heard of wetting mineature marshmallows, rolling them in garlic powder, then letting them dry.

Letting bait-sized pieces of chitlings sit in your favorite flavoring can produce an effective extremely long-lasting bait, too.

8. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn

Jerry it would work.
    But all the Cornmeal is there for is. To keep them from sticking together.
    You can add about any flavor in them when mixing. Just add it to the water and its in them. As for the Powder or garlic. I would add it in when mixing them and to the water. That way its in them good.
    Works great as bait on lines. Never did well on Rod and Reel with them. But never know .

Pete

9. fishoholic

fishoholic New Member

State:
    California
    That sounds like a great recipe.

10. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    ShilohRed you need to sumit this to the BOC library. Good idea. I will try this out.Thanks

11. Team StrayCats

Team StrayCats New Member

State:
    florida
    Never thought of trying to make something like that ,,,but i will now just to see if it will work. always up for something new to catch cats with.. Thanks

12. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    My wife makes dumplins like that... but boils them in chicken broth. I like 'em, so if garlic flavors are added to chicken broth, the catfish should LOVE 'em!

Gonna try it for sure!

13. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36205

This is my method (which is still evolving)to make dumplings. It should give you some ideas on how to do what you want. I actually form the dumplings from the finished dough by rolling the dough out flat (1/4"-3/8" depending on hook size you're using), then slicing the dough into approx. 1/2"x1/2"or5/8" dumplings (I use small hooks for smallmouth buffalo). THEN before dropping them in the boiling water while the dough is still out flat, I poke an indentation or hole in each dumpling with a small allen wrench. This hole facilitates hooking the bait without splitting it.

14. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Ice water makes them tougher?? Thanks. I'll try it next batch with mine!
    (learn somthun new everday)

15. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky

Pete, I have heard of these boxes for lines and had a W. TN. fisherman try to explain to me how to make and use them, but I guess I too dumb to get it, or need someone to take me by the hand and show me. For the life of me I can't see how you keep from having a tangled mess!! Can you put these lines out alone or do you need a partner? Would you care to share with me (us) how to make AND use them? If you start a new thread on it, PLEASE PM me so that I won't miss it. Thanks brother.

16. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I can do them by my self. And its easy after you see them done.
    If I can get someone to film it. I will make a small movie of me doing it. And then get it posted on here.
    The jumper line jumps out of the box one hook at a time. When putting it out, You just throw the float in the water and then the Brick near the bank. Then on my 24 hook lines. When 12 hooks are out throw or the line will pull the next half brick out of your hand. Then the next 12 hooks jump out. You have to turn the box as they jump off the side of the box.
    I will Try to get Bam to film it or someone at the spring gathering at Pickwick .

Then the next morning you put in back in the box as you take it up. Then when I am home and off the water I fix it back up to fish the next time.

Pete

17. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thanks Pete, I wish you luck in getting on film.

18. justwannano

State:
    SE Iowa
    than those I've seen here.
    They are about (Its about 0 degrees outside right now or I'd run out and measure one) 18" long and 8 " wide at the top. The bottom is 18X 6. In other words the sides are sloped.When I was fishing long lines I had four 50 hook lines.Each box had 25 notches for the hooks cut in each side. They would nest when unbaited.When I baited them,usually with a piece of night crawler the hooks hung barely outside the box.
    I almost always fished alone so I built a platform over the motor. The box sat nicely on that platform. I'd drop the weight in the water and slowly run the boat and play out the line. It got quite busy for a while. At 25 hooks I'd turn the box around and play out the other half of the line. The other weight was sitting on the platform and just slid into the water as the line played out.

As I picked up the line I would lay each hook in its slot and the line between the hooks was layed neatly back and forth longways in the box.
    It worked well for me.

Hope this makes sense.

19. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    never used a box but when i used to comm. fish in texas i used circle only.we would get a piece of pvc. pipe that was a little smaler than the hooks.we just let the main line hang down below the pvc. pipe.worked like a charm.

20. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Larry, are you going to be at the Pickwick gathering? If so, I will bring you a VCR tape of the boxes in use. The tape is actually of an extremely long trotline being put out, requiring several boxes; I prefer shorter lines needing only one box. They're very good for putting lines out on riprap.