Catfish Bait Deployment System: Anyone fish with a bait boat before?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Memphis, Nov 10, 2005.

1. Memphis

Memphis New Member

State:
    Ohio
    you know one of those remote control boats that take your bait out for you
    i bought one but it really doesnt fit where i fish was wondering if anyone else owns one and how and where they use it. im thinking of selling mine just cause i never use it

2. AC1108

AC1108 Member

State:
    Kansas City, Mo
    I would be curious as to see what one looks like. Is it just a boat with a small clamp actuated to drop your line? If possible post a picture of one please.

3. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    That's about it. Just an R/C boat with an extra servo to control when the line gets dropped.

They used to use them below Truman dam to drop bait right up next to the spillway but they've been banned. Nobody can fish within about 200 yds of the spillway now.

4. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    The ones i have seen where pretty big really, and powered by a trolling motor.

5. Memphis

Memphis New Member

State:
    Ohio
    yea thats about it there kida cool like i said i just really dont use it where i fish

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    If it's big and powerful enough to use in the swift water below a powerhouse on the Arkansas River, I'd be interested in it, if it's priced so I can scrape up the money.

7. typer181

typer181 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Indy
    Name:
    Eric
    I thought they were used mainly in carp fishing to chum the water. I may have been mis-lead. I do love R/C stuff! It would at least make for some fun on a slow day. It would be fun to put a few glow sticks on one and drive it around at night to freak people out! J.K.! I wouldn't want to scare anyones fish away. :D

8. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
  9. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Yeah, that's kind of like the ones I've seen, except that they used a big block of styrofoam. Actually, I think you could probably make a pontoon type, using pvc drain pipe. The main criteria for my use would be that it be large enough to handle floating through the boils, and at least powerful enough to make reasonable progress sideways in the swift current, or better yet, powerful enough to run directly upstream against the current.
    In most instances, I could anchor in the slack water below the spillway, run the boat up to the dam, and then run the baitboat along the face of the powerhouse. Occasionally, though, I'd like to be able to run the baitboat up close to the 'toe' below the spillway, when water is being released there.

10. Big Nick

Big Nick New Member

State:
    McKinney TX
    Sounds like a great idea, There is another fishing item I can throw a little money at.

11. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Here's one I seen on e-bay. Sells new for around 430.00

Attached Files:

12. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    I have a bait shuttle, it is made of plastic and is powered by 4 d cell batteries. It is not a remote controll boat, but I have sent it out close to 300 yards. Here is how it works. The boat has two outriggers on it. A line is attached to the front of the boat and runs back to a clip on one outrigger, (which also disconects power to the boat) and on back to a short rod and big reel dedicated to the bait shuttle. The second outrigger has a clothes pin type device that clips onto your line with bait (The rod you are fishing with). Because of prop rotation, the boat tends to pull to the left. You have both rods in holders and in free spool and both lines in your hands to steer the boat as it goes out. When the boat gets to the desired spot, you pull the line you are fishing with and that releases the bait, you then pull the other line and it disconnects the motor and turns the boat around and you reel it back in to send out another bait if you can fish with more then two rods. Now the one I have is molded plastic and not real powerful or quick but does get the job done. It is a bit of a chore and takes some practice. The thing about mine is it only cost about 80 bucks. You do have to use braid on both rods because at 200 yards or more you would have to much line stretch with mono. There are some other guys where I fish have been taking the regular niko boats you can get for about 80 bucks or so and they take the servos out. add the outriggers and disconnects, a tray to hold the bait and they are much quicker and powerful, steer easly and can carry more weight then the one I have. plus they have rechargeable batteries. Some of the guys swap out the motors for 12 volt, then they can be recharged from your car. To take this a step further, there are some guys who hack the smartcast fish finder to ge considerble more range. The plans for this hack are available on the net. I will post some pics when I get my desktop computer back on line. I will be customizing one of these boats soon and will document the building of it.

13. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Phillip, I get the idea from your post that you are using your baitboat in pretty calm water, right? I can't say about the other guys, but my interest in a baitboat is for fishing below the powerhouses on dams on the Arkansas River; maybe occasionally below the spillway when the gates are open. This is water so turbulent that the Corps of Engineers won't allow any boat within 100 yards of a dam on the part of the Arkansas River that they control. Again, I can't comment on the Arkansas above the head of navigation. That means that you have to make 100-125 yard casts from the boat, just to reach the spots where the best fishing is located.

14. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Jerry, actually the water where I use my boat is the clifton court forebay, right at the mouth of the calif aquaduct, that water is pretty swift. Now my boat is a little underpowered, but the ones powered by 12 volts are pretty powerful and impressive. I have also seen the ones that use a trolling motor and those work on the same concept but I think there size might be a drawback in really swift current. If you do a search for dam boats, you should be abel find the complete plans for the trolling motor boat!
    Jerry I was wondering if you inquired about these boats on a radio controll forum? I am sure I saw your name on a post!

15. silver_dollar

silver_dollar New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I think I will just stick to ......"chunkin' and awindin'".....Thanks anyway. Harland :)

16. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    I have been into rc cars, planes and what not since I was a kid. Im now into nitro trucks and run a t-maxx. I would not recommend using a ready to run rc boat, as they are not realy designed for something like that. But a rc towboat would be as they are used to push and pull and are designed for rough water. On another fishing site a guy fishes the keystone dams he has one that uses a trolling motor, pretty big to.

17. catter5000

catter5000 New Member

State:
    TULSA,OK
    To everyone coming to Keystone 4,I will bring my complete bait boat set up and show how to build and use. I do not use remote control boats,have seen to many of them float down the river when they short out or the battery dies.My boat is powered by a small 10 lb thrust 12 volt trolling motor and steered by a 6ft. heavy action rod,Penn114H reel spooled with 80 lb dacron. I have been using this rig for 15 years with not one problem. This works well under most conditions,if they are discharging a lot of water I just cast out with a slip cork and let it float around in the current.

18. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Phillip, you probably did see my name; I've done some checking about baitboats on other sites. I always did like the Beach Boys' song, 'I Get Around'.

Catter5000, a little trick some guys have used is to mount a reel to a 12" length of broomstick, or something along that line, and attach the line to the baitboat so they can reel it in if there's an emergency.

19. catter5000

catter5000 New Member

State:
    TULSA,OK
    Jerry,same idea,most guys here can't seem to figure that out. I don't have the cash to keep buying new boats because I forgot to put in a fresh battery.The one I've got works good for me.

20. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    The boat I use is not remote controll either. I use a short pacificstick with a penn senator for retrieval. I guess I didnt explain it right!