Catfish Bait - Any Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Ironhead, Jun 6, 2006.

1. Ironhead

Ironhead New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I fish at Fort Belvoir. I am sick of using chcken liver for bait. I just can't find anything else that hits as well as it does. I am looking for something that stays on the hook better and still produces some good results and some bigger fish.

2. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Cut Gills and Cut Shad. Can't go wrong with them. Also try Live Gills, Chubs, Goldfish, Minnows, they should help as well.

3. dreamer34

dreamer34 New Member

State:
    danville virginia
    i agree with Matt...cut or live bait will work real well...

4. Dragger

Dragger New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Matt is rite-on, always use fresh bait, best if you can catch them in the waters that you fish in........steve.

5. catrod

catrod New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    If you want livers to stay on your hook better try this. In the daytime I lay as many livers as I am planning to use out in the sun on my cutting board, let them "skin up" on one side and turn them over to "skin up" on the other. This toughens the side up and therefore they stay on the hook much stronger. Ive had them stay on through some pretty mean casts.

6. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Do that and cover them them with garlic powder. The scent helps.

7. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    one thing we do to help keep liver on the hook (i agree about using shad, skipjack, bluegill, whatever to go after the big ones though) is to add a snap lock thing that bass fisherman use to change lures easily. put this oon then a treble hook. When you want to use some chicken liver simply take off the hook and slide a chunk of liver onto the line. then attach the treble back and gently run the chicken liver onto the hooks. This works great. also, never pull liver apart, always use a sharp knife (filet knives work great to cut the liver, this helps too)

8. bottom_rig

bottom_rig New Member

State:
    baltimore, md
    cut blue gill always works damn good. also lately ive been getting my shrimp, which alone work great, and soaking them in the chicken/beef liver juices then casting the shrimp out. its been producing good for large channels lately.
    hope this helps.

9. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Does that Garlic trick really produce? I've heard that before but always thought it was just another fish~tale (excuse the pun) :)

10. bottom_rig

bottom_rig New Member

State:
    baltimore, md
    we garlic on our shrimp, and beef livers. seems to work.

11. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Here is a thread for ya man, this is how I make them. Sometimes I dehydrate, but this way is much easier to clean up. This is a great bait to have.

12. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    I never use treble hooks for liver, partly because I just don't care for fooling with trebles. The exception is when I use punch bait. And, if I keep my livers cool, they stay on the hook pretty well. When I started using liver, I'd just put a whole liver on the hook and lob. Also, I didn't keep them cool. So, after an hour or so in the heat, the livers became one slimy mess. When I started keeping the livers cool and slicing off only a portion of liver, I found it stayed on the hook better. Shrimp, though, is my favorite bait bought at a store. Make sure its raw shrimp. Keep it cool.

13. borntocatfish

borntocatfish New Member

State:
    NW ohio
    Yeah cut bait or shrimp and crawdads all work
    but how do you get tired of usiing chicken liver :big_smile: :big_smile: :big_smile: