Catfish ate a rock! Why?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by stumpjumper, Feb 13, 2009.

1. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Sometimes when we camp on the river we'll keep a small eater catfish for dinner. Look at the size of this rock we found in its stomach :crazy:!

Any ideas or theories?

Attached Files:

2. nut

nut New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    there may of been a crayfish under that rock. instead of waiting for him to crawl out, he said screw it and ate the whole shebang.

3. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    WILD! I would have to guess that while in a feedin frenzy it got sucked in and he could'nt change its direction quick enough to spit it out. If ya ever have on of my wifes hamburgers ya will know what its like. :crazy:

4. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    It was an illegal tournament fish. They shoved the rock down it for a better weight. Probably Rollo did that.

5. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Wow Marc, could that possibly be one of them Rock Fish?? Maybe belonging to the Basser Family?? (ie Rock Bass ) LOL,J.D.:wink:

6. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I really don't know about freshwater fish, but alot of the salterwater fishes mainly the ones living on wrecks and reefs for some unknown reason know that there will be somekind of storm or heavy tides coming so they eat rocks a few days in advanced so it can weigh them down or hold bottom during the anticipated bad weather.

7. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA

Interesting, I have heard of that before. The past couple months there has been some really fast current on the river. Hmm...

8. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Egg sinkers work better, but rocks don't fall out as easy at the weigh-in.... Pretty embarrasing...:smile2::wink::eek:oooh: rollo

9. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I caught a small blue in the Ohio River last year that spit out about half a pound of small rocks in the livewell, along with a couple of small mussel shells. I assumed that it was eating the mussels, but had trouble separating out the pebbles around them and just scooped up everything - let the digestive system sort it out.

10. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Maybe somewhere within the bowells of this 21 page thread the answer can be found:

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22684

But Blacky has a good an explanation that I've heard:

11. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I don't believe for a second that fish are going to eat rocks to weigh themselves down to weather a storm. I would more believe the catfish was eating mussels (which attach themselves to rocks) and swallowed the mussel and the rock. The digestive tract dissolved the mussel leaving a clean rock in the stomach.

I've seen them puke up mussels before and find an oddball rock on rare occasions in the livewell, nothing big but have seen it before.

12. MOVINON

MOVINON Member

State:
    Glenwood Iowa
    Maybe he thought it was a rocky mountain oyster.

13. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    I wonder if it could have gotten rid of the rock somehow? It was surprised how big of a rock it had eaten!

14. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Once again I am amazed at how many of you guys over complicate things like this. Obviously this cat fish was upset. It is common knowledge that when some people get upset they state exasperatedly that they could eat dirt! Now being a denizen of the water, catfish have to defer to eating rocks to relay the measure of anger they posses at the time. Evidently this particular cat fish was really really upset! lol :crazy:

15. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Wow, this makes no sense what I wrote earlier :smile2:

I meant to say, had this fish lived, I wonder if it could have spit such a large rock back out? I was surprised at the size of the rock...big!

16. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    LOL!!! I was wondering about that Marc. It seems the fish was handily able to rid itself of the rock when you performed the C-Section on it. Sadly, the patient did not survive, but the rock is gone.:smile2:

17. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P

Now that I really think about it. how would they really digest those rocks? Imagine having to move those stones out of you bowels:crazy::embarassed::eek:oooh:

Good point, Skipeye and GaryF

18. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Or maybe catfish have adapted a way or puking or regurtating the rocks when they are not needed anymore?:cool2:

19. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Blacky....you're killin' me dude!

If the Catfish were that evolved intellectually to sense an impending storm and weight themselves down with ballast to ride it out.......don't you think they'd sense that the tasty chunk of shad impaled on a shiny 8/0 Gamakatsu Circle hook might be bad for their digestive tract????:smile2::smile2::smile2:

20. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    I don't think bluecats would digest the rocks at all.......but they will pass them.........have you ever seen the rear-end of a blue that's been eating mussels? it isn't pretty......lol