Catfish at the Robert C. Byrd Dam - Ohio River

Discussion in 'WEST VIRGINIA RIVER TALK' started by ohiocatman62, Apr 7, 2007.

1. ohiocatman62

ohiocatman62 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I've been to the Robert C, Byrd Dam 1or 2 times, never fished much for cat's but it looks really good. Can anyone tell me if you can catch some nice cat's leater in the year after it warms up? Thanks Rick

2. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Yes, and the Ohio side is where it is at.(from the bank)

Right below the dam there is a ledge you have to get out over, big cut baits, big sinkers, tough line.

I have not been out there catfishing since they built the fishing.. pier? dock? whatever they call it, but the best way to fish it was to walk the edge of the ledge and cast out. Be careful, the water on the edge of the ledge is close to chest deep at pool, you have to feel your way along it with your feet and if you step off, you are gone.

Best advise would be to hang out and watch for a local to do it first so you have an idea how to access the ledge without swimming to it.

As I said, that was before they built the fishing pier? dock? whatever they call it, so you may be able to stand on it and cast over the ledge now.

3. Possom

Possom New Member

State:
    Wv
    That dam is close to Galliopois OH. I ant for sure so Im asking. Thanks

4. catfishn72

catfishn72 New Member

State:
    WhEELING,WEST VIRGINIA
    yes just south of galloplis and point pleasant.

5. Possom

Possom New Member

State:
    Wv
    Im gettin ready to move to Buffalo. Been looking for new places to fish. Were about 20 miles away from Pt. Pleasant and 5 Mins from Kanawha River. Closer now than I very was.

6. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Thats the next dam up from me.I'm close to the Greenup dam and would love to try it out up there. Keep us posted of how you do! Thanks!