catfish at night or during the day?

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by ductman82, May 31, 2008.

1. ductman82

ductman82 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i do some fishing on the lower lake and i always go at night but does it really matter if you go at night or during the day i avoid the day due the boating traffic but ive never really caught nothing bigger than 20lbs at night please share your wisdom with me thanks greg

2. buster1395

buster1395 New Member

State:
    Abbeville, Sout
    Last weekend when I was down there I actually was doing real good in the evening hours and the sun went down the bite almost quit for me. We fished 2 nights till 11:30 or so with hardly any bites at all. First 3 hours of morning and last 3 hours of evening were the best times for me down there.

3. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I fish mainly during the daylight hours myself and do quite well usually.

4. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Bigger fish will be caught at night. If you arent catching fish after it gets dark switchup cause the feeding fish have probablly moved to another location. I also do alot of daytime fishing but most of biggest fish have been during the night. Stay with it and it will pay off.

5. bearfrog1

bearfrog1 New Member

State:
    Mount Pleasant,
    Agreed. Plus the question needs to be more location specific for us to better answer it, but as a general rule night is better than day, especially during full moons, my experience. Day does do somewhat better during new moons too.
    Night has been better for me at both Santee and the Waccamaw river. The only exception to this rule is springtime Lake Marion bluecats. Flatheads prefer night but they can eat during day too.
    Hope I didn't run in a circle there...lol
    Jonathan

6. ductman82

ductman82 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i mainly do my fishing at lake moultrie i tried to go lastnight but my water pump went out i was only half a mile from the dock and it was sporty out there lastnight by the time i figured out it was my water pump i was about a mile out needles to say i didnt fish any so i loaded up and went to the tailrace canal and fished off the bank but had no luck i wasnt leaving till i got a rod wet i caught 1 maybe 5 pounds on night crawlers but thanks for your help brothers when i do get to go again i will leave a full report on how i did

7. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    My night fishing increases when it gets extremely HOT and HUMID during our summers and early fall. Night fishing gives SOME relief to the oppressiveness, but even our summer nights can be uncomfortable. Hard to fish during the day when it's 100 degrees with 95% humidity. Other than this, I prefer day fishing.
    Bill in SC

8. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    You can catch the big cats all day and all night. I would stay with the peaceful fishing

9. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I guess each person has a certain way they like to fish and certainly if it works for you then who could argue with that? Personally.....I have never caught a biggun in the daylight hours. I have caught some good fish in the daylight hours, but nothing over 25 lbs. Most all of my bigguns have been at night. Everything between 25-67 lbs have come at night. I used to have a small bluecat that I kept in a large 55 gallon fish tank. When we first got him he was only about 6" long. We kept him for several years and I watched him closely. I noticed that anytime the tank light was on....he was hiding under his log and he wouldn't come out even to feed. After the light was turned off and things settled down for a little while....he would come out and eat everything in sight. I kept him until he was about 3lbs and out grew the tank. He was then released back into the cumberland river. I learned a lot from ole Blue. I know that a lot of people catch good ones in the daylight, but I fish shallower water at night. It works for me!:wink:

10. ductman82

ductman82 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    thanks you guys so much you all have been very help full im going this sat. night and i will leave a full report after i do good luck every one thanks greg

11. bearfrog1

bearfrog1 New Member

State:
    Mount Pleasant,
    Will be looking forward to reading the report. We all love those fish reports you know. Pictures are always great too!!!