Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,267 Posts
Who was from Possum Trot? I recall hearing it but cannot recall who hailed from there. One of the Clampit Klan maybe or were they all from Bug Tussle?

·
Registered
379 Posts
Possum Trot is actually down the road from Kentucky Lake dam lol...blink amd miss it .Where my x wife is from ...think they got or had a tomato packing warehouse lol. Think it's torwards Paducah ?

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
We have a place on the map here named Possum Trot. Nothing there now but my understanding is that at one time a village was there. I always wondered how someone came up with that name. Maybe some settlers brought the name with them from out East.

·
Premium Member
6,267 Posts
This is just a speculation but, I was in the Army with a man from S.E. Ky, we shared a lot of the same interest as far as hunting, fishing and dirt biking. We were stationed in Ky and I went home with him on a three day pass once, his folks were rural even more so than mine but some of the most welcoming people I have met. During supper my buddy asked about a local girl he had been sweet on before joining the Army, his mom said she thinks she is a bit better than everyone round here since she went off to college, comes home strutting like a "possum trots". First time I ever heard the expression but if you ever seen one trot you know there is a lot of wiggle there. When they named the town maybe they were thinking of a gal they knew back somewhere else????

·
Registered
162 Posts
Around here the story goes

" So & so lake hired divers to go down & check the ( damn, spillway, city water inlet ect ) when they came out of the water they said they were never going back down there again because they saw fish big enough to eat a grown man "

Years ago I was in law enforcement and had the privilege of speaking with many contract divers that our city hired yearly & some State rescue divers ect.I always asked if they'd ever seen any giant fish and of course they all laughed and said they never saw any monster fish, most agreed catfish in the 40 - 60 pound range were as big as they'd ever seen & usually much smaller.

I wish it was true, I just want one as big as a Honda motorcycle cause I ain't picky

·
Registered
165 Posts
Heard about another one today where I picked up a homeless Surfmaster for $10, proprietor told me that there is a cave that connects two lakes near me and divers went down and saw a fish big enough to eat a man and never would go back again! These critters are all over boys!

·
Premium Member
Bill, in OkC
1,148 Posts
Who was from Possum Trot? I recall hearing it but cannot recall who hailed from there. One of the Clampit Klan maybe or were they all from Bug Tussle?
The Clampets were from the Cookson Hills ("...up the road a piece from Bug Tussel...")
Contrary to popular belief, that is in Eastern Oklahoma.
Speaker of the House, Carl Albert was also from Bug Tussel.

If you look it up on a map, BT is on the East side of Lake Eufaula, not far from the town of Eufaula, OK.

Edit: I just looked it up on Google Earth. Bug Tussle is actually closer to Mc Allester, OK.
About a mile East of US 69.

And, thinking about it, I think the Bodine family (from the series),(Jethro, Pearl and Jethrine) were the characters from the town.

In the movie, with Jim Varney as Jed, they were from the Ozarks, in SW Missouri/NW Arkansas.

61 - 70 of 70 Posts