Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ten years ago, I worked for the Iowa DNR. An engineer told me that his buddy was a diver for the Corps of Engineers and that he had seen "catfish as big as VW Beetles" around the footings of the locks.

Five or six years ago, a construction coworker of mine told me that a local private gravel pit had "catfish as big as VW Beetles". His buddies evidently did some skin diving in there.

Ten minutes ago, I read a post on the Ohio forum about divers finding "catfish as big as VW Beetles" in Ohio.

All right, whats going on here...who else has heard stories of "catfish as big as VW Beetles" ?!? Anyone seen one? 😉
There was an urban legend my grandma used to tell me that a group of diver's swam to the bottom of the Columbian river in Tennessee but they weren't at the bottom of it they were standing on a giant catfish the size of a VW beetle and eyes the size of a hubcap

·
Registered
Mark from Bartlesville OK
1,746 Posts
Years ago we used to fish at Capplinger Mill in SW Missouri. Old timers would talk of huge catfish below the old damn.

Years later when I was a young teenager we were fishing at Caplinger mills when I saw a big blue cat. We were fishing off the bridge which is below the old mill, when the big dark colored cat swam up the river on the surface. Swam up below the dam and just stayed there. It was large enough no one tried to catch it. I wasn't old enough to drive and was adventurous and had heavy tackle but I knew it wasn't heavy enough. The cat was big and dark and during daylight hours.

Don't know how big it was probably over 100 lb.

Another time we were noodling and trapped a huge blue in a hole. When the fish came out it pushed one of my uncles to the middle of the creek. It was like a picture from the movie jaws. We had a hook in it and it was about 5 feet long.

Lots of stories out there, but those were things I experienced as a kid.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Down river bout a mile from Kentucky dam , there is an old 4 door Chevy in bout 20 ft of water , all 4 doors were open. A friend and I had lines set close to this car . Everytime we went to check them they were all piled up at the Chevy . We figured it was current and a HUGE fish so we rigged a couple of heavy rods with 100lb test. Baited them with 5lb carp. Everytime we lowered them close to the car something would grab them then drag it inside the car and break us off.
On a bright sun shine day you could see the car pretty good at noon , so we came back at high noon with more carp . We lowered a couple of baits close to the cars, something huge shot out grabbed our baits and went right back in the car. We set the hook but were instantly broke off again.
But this time we saw the problem , the fish would grab the bait , swim back in the car and slam the door , cutting us off each time.;)

·
Premium Member
Bill, in OkC
1,148 Posts
Years ago (like 1975), I was fishing off the dam at Lake Elmer Thomas, on post at Ft Sill, Ok.
Three Corps of Engeneers divers came out to inspect the lake side of the dam.
They were down about 20 minutes or so. When they came up, they were pale as a hospital sheet.
We asked them,"What's wrong? What the heck did you see?"

One of them said he saw a catfish witha mouth about 3 1/2' wide.

I've heard tales of cats that big laying up at the bottom of most dams that have been there for a bunch of years.

·
Premium Member
12,254 Posts
i dont doubt any lake that has had blues or flats in it for 20+ years dont have some 100lb fish in it, but big as a car is a little far fetched.
Haha, those must be the same folks that did the diving below most of the dams in the country. They should be worried about even fishing below a dam, for fear that a monster cat will follow that line in to where he is, on the bank. Makes me shiver just thinking about it. lol

tight lines

·
Premium Member
Bill, in OkC
1,148 Posts
Heck, IF someone got a hook into one that big he'd need an electric winch and 1/4 to 1/2 inch cable to get him on the bank.

And a 50/0 or 60/0 hook. If they even make them that big.
The biggest one I've seen is 28/0.
Got one here.

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
TGP,
They got bale hooks in Oklahoma don’t they! Weld the loop shut and tie on some 3/8“ cable…use a 100# shoat as bait…

I have a friend from church who is in his mid-80’s. He is a retired doctor but he grew up literally on the Missouri River. His father was a rigger on a construction crew working on the channelization of the river in the 1940-50’s . His family lived on a houseboat provided by the construction company. When they moved locations they had the houseboat towed to the new location and the kids started school there. Their Sunday meal was baked carp and on holidays his mother made stuffing to go with it. Commercial fishing for catfish was still legal then and for the most part the fish they caught were smaller than 10# but he swears that he saw many catfish bigger than a man.

·
Premium Member
Bill, in OkC
1,148 Posts
TGP,
They got bale hooks in Oklahoma don’t they! Weld the loop shut and tie on some 3/8“ cable…use a 100# shoat as bait…

I have a friend from church who is in his mid-80’s. He is a retired doctor but he grew up literally on the Missouri River. His father was a rigger on a construction crew working on the channelization of the river in the 1940-50’s . His family lived on a houseboat provided by the construction company. When they moved locations they had the houseboat towed to the new location and the kids started school there. Their Sunday meal was baked carp and on holidays his mother made stuffing to go with it. Commercial fishing for catfish was still legal then and for the most part the fish they caught were smaller than 10# but he swears that he saw many catfish bigger than a man.
It really depends on the manin some instances.
They had a catfish tournament on the lake on the NC/Va state line a few days ago. The biggest fish caught was a 112# blue cat. I have a couple friends smaller than that.
So, that could still apply. At least in that case. 😀

And the bait and rig just might work for one of the BIG cats. 😀

·
Registered
67 Posts
When I wad I kid this guy that was a friend of my dad's sunk his boat in the river. He hired a large boat kinda like a salvage boat and he hired 2 divers to go down and hook up to it. The 2 divers came back up without hooking up to it because they saw what they said was a giant fish. You can believe it or not but my dad's friend told the guys they weren't getting paid and they said they were fine with that, they just weren't going back down.

·
Premium Member
6,267 Posts
It is a story old men (like me) told young boys years ago in this area. With Ky. Dam being the biggest and most well known dam close to where I grew up it was usually the location in the story. Divers inspecting the dam encountering catfish so big they scared the divers to the surface to never dive the waters again. Having fished Ky. Dam decades after hearing the stories and seeing the amount of anglers fishing if there were VW sized fish living there I would think some of the smaller 200 lbs. ones would have ended up in the bottom of a boat but still the state record is far below that. I would also think sooner or later one of those VW sized fish would die of old age if nothing else and float to the top, there is a lot of boat traffic on the river below that dam for something that big floating around to go unnoticed. "Hey son, one of these days Grandpaw will take you Ky Dam fishing, they have catfish there as big as a little car."

·
Registered
67 Posts
It is a story old men (like me) told young boys years ago in this area. With Ky. Dam being the biggest and most well known dam close to where I grew up it was usually the location in the story. Divers inspecting the dam encountering catfish so big they scared the divers to the surface to never dive the waters again. Having fished Ky. Dam decades after hearing the stories and seeing the amount of anglers fishing if there were VW sized fish living there I would think some of the smaller 200 lbs. ones would have ended up in the bottom of a boat but still the state record is far below that. I would also think sooner or later one of those VW sized fish would die of old age if nothing else and float to the top, there is a lot of boat traffic on the river below that dam for something that big floating around to go unnoticed. "Hey son, one of these days Grandpaw will take you Ky Dam fishing, they have catfish there as big as a little car."
I get what your saying. But to me it's stories like these that keep the magic of fishing alive. I used to hunt years ago in high school and for a few years after but was never really into hunting. Now fishing is a different story. Just like I'm sure a lot of people on here I had a pole in the water if I had a spare minute. I'm always excited to think about what MONSTER lurks just below the surface of the water. Whether these monster fish stories are true or not I want to be there to put some delicious morsel in front of it and see what happens.

·
Premium Member
12,254 Posts
This sure has a catchy title. I guess that is why it keeps popping up.

First suggestion would be to put on a good pair of high top rubber boots.

If you really want to know the truth about these VW sized catfish, go out in the woods and ask Sasquatch. They feed them at night.

tight lines

·
Registered
165 Posts
Well,,you see?all these people telling you about these big cats and such,and you won’t listen,Not even to people with personal experience and real reason to be where they have seen them.People are people,and they won’t listen to nobody until they see it it themselves,Bigfoot,Vwcatfish,or even a Mothman,and when you do see the unbelievable,you become the tall tale teller.An army of people are telling you about these things and you still don’t listen!Im not gonna tell you anything.

41 - 60 of 70 Posts