Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Do these VW fish have to hve a valid registrationa nd are they exempt froms tate inspections? also what about C02 emissions and testing?

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
i doubt any of these fellers have ever seen a vw in the water

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
I've been hearing these stories for so long about so many different water bodies,I just smile and ignore it when I hear it. I believe that there are some big fish laying down in the depths maybe up to 200 lbs in some places,but the big as cars and trucks or the big enough to swallow a man,well I'll call BS on that every time,if they were that big someone would have stuck a spear or something in one or dived down and secured a cable by now,And all the times I've heard these storys,its always been a friend talked to his uncle who talked to..... yeah right how come none of us has ever actually heard it straight from the diver himself.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
my moms friend had a vw one time and it was kinda dumb i thought...it could swallow a small man but not a big dude

·
Registered
4,420 Posts
When I read the title of the post, I knew to expect a diver story before I clicked on it. :wink::smile2::wink:

i say get a 1ton, drop a line from a warn winch in, hook up a pig on it, let it out there and see what ya come up with. use a bouy as a bobber.
I wouldn't use a warn winch. I'd get a new one!! Muahahahahaha! :wink:

BB in SC

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
yknow.....what if....some ol boy did land a vw sized flatty?:eek:oooh: i know if i caught one id be trying to get obama to give me a free taxidermy voucher..catch and release hell! id paint it up like herbie and put it in my driveway

·
Banned
4,134 Posts
Ten years ago, I worked for the Iowa DNR. An engineer told me that his buddy was a diver for the Corps of Engineers and that he had seen "catfish as big as VW Beetles" around the footings of the locks.

Five or six years ago, a construction coworker of mine told me that a local private gravel pit had "catfish as big as VW Beetles". His buddies evidently did some skin diving in there.

Ten minutes ago, I read a post on the Ohio forum about divers finding "catfish as big as VW Beetles" in Ohio.

All right, whats going on here...who else has heard stories of "catfish as big as VW Beetles" ?!? Anyone seen one? :wink:
Ive heard that there is a catfish below Kentucky Lake dam that eats VW beetles. :wink:

·
Floyd
4,927 Posts
Iheard the stories of catfish as big as vw and when I was younger I forget what lake I was around 9 years old I was walking down the back and spotted something moving in the water . As I got a closer look there was a catfish with whiskers the size of the cane pole I was using . I yelled for my parents and we all watched him for awhile . I do remember it was up by carlinville illinois and there was suppose to be 2 of those monsters in there that had been removed from the mississippi near alton illinois .

·
Registered
593 Posts
If I had a buck for every time I heard the old diver story,I,d be fishing out of a new boat next year.As many times as I.ve heard it ,there,d have to be like a quarter of the U.S population employed as divers for the corps!:roll_eyes::tounge_out::smile2:.
THATS EXACTLY WHAT I WAS ABOUT TO POST PATCAT50. Everybody I know is related to somebody or somebodys friend is a diver it's all b/s in my opinion.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Vw's huh ? First I heard of that. I grew up on a different tale that told of a train wreck at a certain bridge here in West Virginia that lost a rail car loaded with Jack Daniels whiskey in the New River and those divers supposedly said there were cats down there as big as the damn boxcar.
Out of curiosity I started reseaching the story a few years ago and finally pinpointed the bridge in question and that there certainly was a train wreck there that lost boxcars in the river. As time went on, there were also newspaper articles where kids had found full bottles of the whisky over several years and had turned them in to parents or officials.
How big the fish were was never mentioned again. So who knows ?

Just last year, I located some old history about one of the "next to be" tourist sites that is what's left of one of the old mining towns on the river.
These historic publications indicated that at this site HUGE 70 to 100 pound catfish were regularly caught here even while the mine and town were running full tilt. Flash forward 40 to 60 years......Ain't NOBODY in any volume fished these waters for super cats. There's been next to none vehicles access and really tough foot access. Now the Park Service is supposedly restoring the old town and they say fishing will be permitted because of it being within the national river park boundaries. They opened the road and then put up a danged gate.

Third note of interest......many years ago I read a magazine article about a situation in Tennessee where some guys landed a 600 pound catfish.
There were plenty of pictures and they supposedly were fishing with log chains and slaughterhouse meat hooks loaded with rotton pig parts and bodies. The funniest part was that they supposedly landed this fish with a D-9 dozer hooked to the chains. I saw the pictures, but I always thought it was some kinda hoax. Sounds interesting though.

·
Registered
862 Posts
The first time I ever heard this rediculous story, was when I was a kid. It was said about Ellis locks/dam on the Muskingum, and also when the Silver bridge fell in the Ohio. Although, being a kid, I believed it.

When I got old enough to know better, I realised the biggest give away on the stories that I heard was, the fact that they said the cats(Flats) had eyes as big as headlights.

Just imagine the size a Flat would have to be that have eyes that big!

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
why does it always have to be the size of a vw beetle? and what kind of beetle? a ragtop? a super beetle? was it a 1600cc or one of the old 40 horsepower ones?
maybe it could have been a vw bus? an old splitwindow barndoor bus?
or a karmann ghia? a fastback? a squareback? a notchback? a thing? did it have a type 4 engine?
if i was going to tell that story, it would have been a 1980 air cooled vanagon with a 2 liter fuel injected type 4 engine. white over yellow with a camper top.
thats a good story.

21 - 40 of 70 Posts