Catfish as big as a VW Beetle!

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by BenNewt, Oct 18, 2009.

1. BenNewt

BenNewt New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Ten years ago, I worked for the Iowa DNR. An engineer told me that his buddy was a diver for the Corps of Engineers and that he had seen "catfish as big as VW Beetles" around the footings of the locks.

Five or six years ago, a construction coworker of mine told me that a local private gravel pit had "catfish as big as VW Beetles". His buddies evidently did some skin diving in there.

Ten minutes ago, I read a post on the Ohio forum about divers finding "catfish as big as VW Beetles" in Ohio.

All right, whats going on here...who else has heard stories of "catfish as big as VW Beetles" ?!? Anyone seen one? :wink:

2. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    i have heard them to maybe we need to get monster quest on the job

3. mactheaxe

mactheaxe New Member

State:
    cartersville, georgia
    i think we should all write to that show river monsters and suggest checkin that out. if we get enough people to do that, maybe he will fish for em. heck, hes got the equipment and funding to do that.

4. catmanoneufala

catmanoneufala New Member

State:
    seale,alabama
    we have heard the very same stories hear on home lake. but i realy dont think that they are the size of a v.w. maby some of the divers are just oxegen deprived and not seeing very clearly

5. efrith

efrith New Member

State:
    Seale Alabama
    That story has been going around for as long as there has been dams holding water back. I have seen some big catfish in my days but none as big as a vw beetle. I say it is possible that there are some catfish that big swimming around our waters.
    I agree with the monster quest thing They will prove it so or not.

6. BenNewt

BenNewt New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I think its funny that the VW beetle has become some sort of old wives tale standard to which compare big catfish.:smile2:

7. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    :smile2::smile2: my cousin asked me about this very thing while we were fishing the newburg dam here on the ohio a few weeks ago..:smile2: i turned the side imaging on and ran the boat parallel to the locks about 50ft out and recorded it... we did find a couple hogs up in the locks that i would bet on being 100#s but nothing over that on this day.. :wink: i love hearing the story tho..

8. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Same ole stories since I was a kid. Where's bigfoot too

9. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    i have lived in va.,s.c.,and ga. and every lake i,ve been to has the same story.and 1 TVA lake i used to fish on they carried farther than that saying some one caught a catfish on a bailing hook and unborn pig that weighed 600lbs.purty good fish if'n it was true.:0a10:

10. mactheaxe

mactheaxe New Member

State:
    cartersville, georgia
    i say get a 1ton, drop a line from a warn winch in, hook up a pig on it, let it out there and see what ya come up with. use a bouy as a bobber.

11. catfishfearme

catfishfearme New Member

State:
    govecity,ohio
    Iv heard that about 1000 different lakes, and rivers !!:embarassed::smile2::smile2::wink:

12. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I would seriously contact River Monsters. :wink:
    Have him search the Ohio, of course!

13. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

If I had a buck for every time I heard the old diver story,I,d be fishing out of a new boat next year.As many times as I.ve heard it ,there,d have to be like a quarter of the U.S population employed as divers for the corps!:roll_eyes::tounge_out::smile2:.

14. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    Just try putting on a pair of divers gogles. dive down as deep as you can in any lake or river and see how far you can see your hand. I tried one of the under water cameras and in what looked like clear water I could see a foot. Some of the stories are from divers who saw something. can you imagine being down 100 feet and bumping in to a 60 to 100 pounder and have him move away. How big do you think he would be by the time you reached the surface considering you could only feel him in the dark.

15. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    We have the infamous "mini van" cat here in West Point. I hooked it once. It almost turned my boat over. :tounge_out:

16. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    ive only seen one 100 lb cat and that is at cabelas...if i bumped into it i would become human stink bait

17. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i think every lake with a dam has that same story, the divers too afraid to go back screamin for their life:smile2:, thats the local bait shops makin that up ta sell bait:wink:

18. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    back a few years ago they were doing some work on one of the local bridges and some of the underwater welders reported seeing fish that were the size of VW Bugs, some wouldnt go back in, from the stories i have heard. Ive also heard of some of the underwater welders that repair the barges and Tug boats on the OHIO telling stories of monster catfish. personally i would tend to think that there are some fish in there that big, and if a person was to hook into one they wouldnt be equipped to fight the battle, even if they could by chance get the thing to notice being hooked. we all now how helpless you can feel against a 50+ lb fish when they decide to be difficult, imagine a 300+ lb fish.

19. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    I have heard that story at pretty much every body of water i have ever fished.

20. bulethed

bulethed New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I live in n.e. oklahoma and have heard the same thing about the fish up against the dams. even heard some divers say they wont go down there again no matter what. if ya think about it, most dams have rules so you cant get real close. that would make it very difficult to get a bait in to a fish thats laid up real close to the foundation of a dam like that.

I say there are monsters up aginst the dams.

Bill.