Catfish as big as a person!

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by photocat, Mar 7, 2006.

1. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    I know there's some controversy going on as to whether a catfish can be as big as a person since there are rumors about it going around in and out of the catfishing community. Well i was looking around to show my girlfriend a picture of Splash, the former all tackle world record holder blue cat (still 20 lb test class and texas state record), and i came across a picture of her next to a diver... now in most of the pictures i've seen of her she's been in Cody's arms or swimming along next to fish with no real comparison to a person standing. Well i think this will discount any issues w/ someone thinking there are blues that divers see that are as big as them and well look like VW bugs. I hope im allowed to put the link in. if im not im sure i'll get a very nice email from the admin. Its actually a really cool pic

NOTE: I attached the pic so there's no link now. Whistler

Attached Files:

2. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Check out the photos of the Wels Cats and stories by member catbusster from Spain. Some of those fish are around 200#.

3. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Potocat, You must be familiar with depth perception, there is no way that guy is next to that fish! We also have to assume the divers size. Then theres the fact that every thing under water appears to be 1/4 larger than it is. You haven't convinced me yet. Good try though!;)

4. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    Those rumors that are "circulating throughout the catfishing community"....are prevalent at I'd bet nearly EVERY dam across the US. They say the same thing about the Disney dam on our local Grand Lake in nearby NE Oklahoma. Cats as big as a VW...some guy hooked a whole fryer chicken on a shark hook and attached it to a winch on his truck which resulted in a burnt out winch...repair divers who will never go down to the bottom of that dam again because a cat tried to eat them...Lol.

IMO...these are urban legends that have no merit as far as I can see....or have seen. Until a VW sized blue cat or flathead is produced....I say bullsh!t!!!

I'd be more than happy to eat those words if one is caught...and hopefully if it is...it's either by me...or some other VERY lucky BOC member!

5. Sinker

Sinker New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Those rumors have been around longer than VW's have!

6. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland

That picture was taken from outside of the water, and the person is as close to the glass (possibly a little closer, like a foot,from the glass then the fish) . Plus Splash is (or i think would be more appropriate to say, was) 60 inches (5 ft, small human plus the 25% refraction rate puts her at 75 inches appearing underwater). You also have to figure for the the fact that in most resiviors there is a restriction as to how close you can get to the dam to fish and most of the myths revolve around the diver going down to work on the dam... A big fish isn't going to be stupid and move when its got an almost constant food source with all the shad and other food coming to it rather then having to chase it. since theres' noone to fish for them or no fish hooks in the baits being tossed out for them there are none being brought in.

7. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    Seeing a catfish 200 years ago the size of a man is possible. Even 100 years ago. You kno why? Cats havent changed, but our nutrition here in the usa as humans have.

My dad is 5 foot 6. He didnt eat meat till he was 8 or 10 cause they were poor. My brother and I are 6' 2". 100 years ago poor folks didnt have the vitamins and nutrition we do now. Yeah folks did get big and some got pretty tall.... but the majority didnt grow to their fullest possible extent cause of feast and famine.

How tall was mark twain when he saw one as big as a man?

See- its a matter of perception.

I think there were cats that got over 120 pounds then... but not much. I know girls near 5 and a half foot that dont weigh that much. I think there were more large cats then than there are now by quantity.

When you add in the exaggerations of time and generational oral history... yeah, big cats then and now havent changed. We have a little... but I think the joys of imagination, especially in times of famine and hunger DO get the best of us all.

8. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio

9. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I have heard those stories on my lakes here, my first being Wills Creek, and also the Ohio River. Ahem, how close to a fish would you have to be to see it in Wills Creek, the Muskingum, Buckeye Ocean, the Ohio, etc... I have swum at Salt Fork which is a heck of a lot clearer than those locales, yet I can't see my kids legs to attack them from 5 feet :mad: Ummm.... my vote is for urban legend! But you are right, it is fun to think about!

10. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    The title is ment every way that you can take it.My wife is 5 ft.7 1/2in.tall.Her weight runs from 94 to 113 lbs.I have grown kinfolk that weigh as low as 74 and 79lbs.I have every reason to believe that there are catfish larger than people.I have every reason to believe that there are people larger than catfish.I see no reason why large feeding catfish have not drowned small people and children,in the attempt to eat them.I know that Blue cats will often attempt to feed on very large prey that they can not swallow.I have been told that Flatheads are worse.People have drowned in the rivers for thousands of years.Their size ran from newborn to the maximum.I think that some one somewhere had to have been ate.There will allways be people caught up in the belief of there own brilliance,who will think that all others are stupid.That is why there will allways be doctored photos as well as honest ones.peewee-williams

11. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    There is not a dam in the USA that you will not hear that a diver went down to check on the structure of the Dam and didn't run into a man eating size Catfish. This story comes from many of moons back, My Grandfather use to tell me the same story's, about the dams on the Ohio River. But I do believe there is Flatheads in the Ohio that could reach 130#. Now since thats all the more I weigh , I guess there is a catfish as big as me..LMAO :p

12. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    130#!!!!! You best put the other foot on the scale there Bubba! LOL!

13. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    DH I paddled your butt clean across the hi in the middle round on the outside O-HI-O I know for a fact that you weigh way more than a buck thirty! You must be tellin them thar tall tales. But, you ain't fat my rotund friend.... however... you are rather short for your weight.... a bit vertically challenged I'd say!

ROFLMAO!

14. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    You guys are just not right, see I come in here to post a good post of information and look what happens now we pick on DH's weight. Here let me crawl back in the corner and hide.

15. Ace

Ace New Member

State:
    Gastonia N
    This 646lb 9 feet long Mekong Catfish caught May 1-2005 in Bangkok Thailand. Looks like it bigger than two men.

Ace :cat:

N.C.

16. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    I have been to the Bass Pro Shops national headquarters numerous times and observed feeding time in the big aqarium. They have a diver that goes in and hand feeds the fish a type of dry food similar to dog food. I have tried several times to get a picture of her feeding the 80 + lb bluecat that they have in there...but can't get rid of the shine from the flash that shows up on the outside of the aqarium.

Seeing the picture that's at the front of this thread...to me...it doesn't seem so much different than what I have seen at the BPS aqarium...except Splash is going to obviously be 40-50 lb heavier than the fish I saw next to the female diver in the BPS aqarium. The fish I saw was at least as large...actually a little larger...as the woman divers torso there...and trust me...I was observing her torso...making a size comparison...Lol. ;)

17. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    I've heard the same stories here in Texas as ya'll have up north. I'm not sure a cat as big as a man is out there or not. Now in other countries, I've seen the photos like Ace's pic above. That bad boy right there is as big as a man.

18. fishguts

fishguts New Member

State:
    Illoinois
    Show me the Monsters. I BELIEVE they are out there!!

19. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Maybe I am missing something here in the discussion, but what is so hard to believe about a catfish as big as a person?

Don't any of you know a 120 pound person?

20. Coloman

Coloman New Member

State:
    Soddy Daisy, Tn
    A Master Chief in the Navy, told me a story of when he was younger. He and another young sailor set out trot lines one night. He had tied his to a tree and his buddy tie his to his leg, so if he got a fish on he would know. They spent most of the night drinking. When the Chief woke up the next day his buddy was gone. He said that there where drag marks down to the water. The Navy sent divers in to find the body, but after a few minuets the diver got out of the water because of the "monster catfish". The diver said that there where several cats bigger than he was.

Personally that sounds like one hell of a fish story to me!