Catfish are working the rocks

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by Mac-b, Dec 21, 2008.

1. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Catfish are working the rocks/shoreline, at least on Lake Norman, NC they are. I had several blues in my bait storage tank letting them clean out. When I drained the tank this morning there were crawfish claws every where. I saved two so I could show y'all what they were passing or throwing up.

Does anyone use or have success using crawfish for catfish bait?

2. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    We used to catch some channel cats at High Rock using crawfish for bait around the large rocks near the dam. Just put them on a split shot rig and just kind of work them like a Carolina rig for bass and the cats would eat them up. Also used to catch some in the Yadkin river and Abbots creek on them as well.

3. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    LakeNormanBlues, ya'll have so little bait in Norman I am surprised they are not crawling up the bank and eating our of your garbage cans!!!!! :eek:oooh:

Seriously, we used crawdads as kids, but we were too poor to buy worms and too lazy to dig them up. Crawdads gave us a good reason to play in the creek!!

4. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Thats some nice bait.

5. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    very interesting, thanks for sharing with us. I don't use crawfish, but I think I have read on here that some people do.

6. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Mac,I have used crawdads in my younger days trotlining,That was my best bait other than live bluegills. I've tried some with R&R but I think they are feeding closer to the bank than I have been fishing.

7. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    we used big craw dad tails for bait below truman dam back in the 80s on a slip cork fishing the rip rap around pre spawn and spawning time , caught thousands of blues and channels on the tails . also on the clam muscle meat below the dam on same slip cork rig .:big_smile: from pan size to biggens with lots of 20 lb range fish .

after my farm chores i spent many days running my traps for craw dads and picking up muscles ( clams) in cole camp creek . it was just a 1/2 mile walk from the farm .

we tried craw dads on trottlines many times with so so success .

man i miss the farm and being a kid dam those wheir the days i tell ya a fishing pole , traps , and a 22 rifle was my entertainment ....

after feeding the hogs , gathering eggs, watering the cows and throwing out bails of hey , choping wood and stacking it , ive carried more sacks of feed and 5 gallon buckets of water then stars in the sky !!!!!

but i was skinny back then lol

hey if you can catch enough craw dads for bait try using just the tail and drfit withem and see if they work for ya ..

let us know if you do and how they worked .

8. repoman3809

repoman3809 New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohi
    Thats funny!:tounge_out:

Nice post LakeNormanBlues!