Catfish and water temps

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by MON RIVER RAT, May 31, 2007.

1. MON RIVER RAT

MON RIVER RAT New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    I was wondering what is the ideal water temp for catfishing. Here in pennsylvania the surface temp. is 69 to 70 degrees. The bottom temp. is 68 degrees in 10 to 12 foot of water. Thanks!!!!

2. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    its always good, you just have to figure out where they are. if its hot, they cant be too deep cause theres not gonna be any oxygen down there. the way your talkin its probably about spawning time there, so youll wanna go around rocks and brushpiles, and logjams. just look for structure. i think the temp your talkin about is ideal for flathead spawning. i think the others spawn in 80-90 degrees. flatheads feed heavily before the spawn as they build nests, and as they guard the nests they will not feed unless they think there is a threat(like a lizard or something that would eat the eggs.) and the females will stay within like 30 yards of the nest and feed, but the male will not let the female back in the nest, so basically what im saying is fish the structure!!!

3. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    oh yeah, and also use more than one pole and try different depths. since the water is not that hot, they can still be on bottom. but they will still hold to structure during the day. at least thats how they are in my lake.