Catfish and the weather???

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by wallerus, Aug 19, 2009.

1. wallerus

wallerus New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I have experienced fish changing their feeding habbits before, during and after stormy weather. Are catfish a part of this rule and if so what changes have any of you noted? Also are catfish in the lower James around the power plant tidal feeders or just whenever they feel like eating?

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Weather plays a very important role in catfishing. Most noticable is when the water is on the rise after some good rain. Fish are very active during this period and will lay somewhat dormat once the water comes back down. The rising water provides new food opportunities and the fish love it!

Welcome to the BOC

3. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Welcome to the BOC "Wallerus". James, I'm at the beach at LA, Calif. I have notice all that you have mentioned. Fishing on the Sacramento River and San Joaquin Rivers here in Calif. we are some 150 miles from the ocean and there is a tidal influence. I have found that during the full moon... things back off some and, for me its the new moon that is the best. Just two weeks back, there was a 20degree temp change at the Mendota Game Refuge... there was a low pressure system off of San francisco, that brought wind and clouds to where I was fishing... Seemed that all that was biting was the smaller cats... They were all over the place, and no one was catching the larger ones... But I was shore bound, and if I could have gotten to deeper water things might have changed.

Thanks for the post, and I'm sure that you will find many answers to what you need to know in the Library section.

Tight lines...Bayrunner Ray

4. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Well I have caught all of my biggest fish in Va within 2-6 hours of it raining, I have also caught my largest quantity of fish right after rain also. Hell I even catch them while the rain is pouring, I have a giant yellow/gray poncho I wear and i'm dry and just reel them in lol

5. Madtom

Madtom New Member

State:
    virginia
    I have caught nice fish in about every situation possible, but my fav. is river rising to a flood. I mean big flood. Its game on.

6. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Wow, wouldn't have thought that. I've tended to avoid the river at those times. You're welcome.:smile2: Are the fish in the usual places during a flood, or does the high water allow them to move closer to shorline structure?

My best results seem to be on overcast, light drizzle types of days with low wind.

7. mavmannate

mavmannate New Member

State:
    De soto, Kansas
    Of course they are! The critters in the water that they eat are all stirred up durring downpours and the katz go after them! There is much more fish movement durring rainy days.

8. 89Ricky89

89Ricky89 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Our local lake is a hot spot after a good rain, but never makes a difference to me on the rivers.

9. fishnvince

fishnvince New Member

State:
    na
    Hey, Stephen. Great Question Brother.:smile2: I think you may have asked and answered your own question to some extent. I have found that Blue Cat's, especially the trophy ones 30# and up are affected by frontal conditions ( rising and falling barometer pressure) more than the smaller blues. And for some other reasons having nothing to do with any fronts, full moon phases, or anything we can think of that would have a negative impact on the bite, might very well be they're just not hungry. Fronts also play a key role is good fishing as well. All fish are affected by the same forces in some way which do play a big part in feeding cycles. Some bodies of water may have less of an impact on those fish living there. Say a mudy river with deep holes and a swift current may be less affected than a 5acre lake thats generally clear. But hey watever the reason Im glad to know I have an excuse as to why they were,nt biting that day. Good luck and good fishing

Last edited: Aug 19, 2009
  10. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    As my Dad used to say: "The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining, and when it's not!" I'm not sure that's the answer you were looking for, though. :embarassed:

11. CatHunterSteve

CatHunterSteve New Member

State:
    Snowville, Va
    Welcome to the BOC Stephen, it's good to see the Virginia chapter growing! Haven't fished the Tidal James yet, but maybe someday I will and with the help of my BOC brothers and sisters advice, I might even catch me a big Blue.

12. wallerus

wallerus New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Baring all unforseen tragedies we will probably try to get the boat out on the river friday or sat. Calling for t storms both nights tho. Have to see what bill brings.

13. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    You could always fish the bank :wink::smile2::big_smile::roll_eyes::tounge_out:

14. wallerus

wallerus New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Not much area around here to fish banks for cat. Almost everything is private property.

15. SlightlySeine

SlightlySeine New Member

State:
    Big "R" Town, Va

Well, not much beats "none" all over the place :big_smile:

I might have to look at this, like my Surf fishing brothers.....

"Boat fish Don't Count!" :wink:

I'm a firm believer in the New moon, and in particular, a "fast" falling barometer. I know, anytime, is the best time to fish, but there's one day you won't catch me on the water.... The day "after" the front!

Now if someone proves that theory wrong??? :cool2:

Good luck, whenever you go!

Last edited: Aug 30, 2009
  16. wallerus

wallerus New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Around here in tidewater area "none" is the operative word. I haven't looked up river at all yet.

17. catnbox69

catnbox69 New Member

State:
    burlington
    hello wallerus i always have better luck in rising water, it seems to really get the fish going. I have also noticed that low pressure is also a plus when looking for the big cats. good luck hope this helps:big_smile:

18. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    This rain has me thinking I'll go Tomorrow.