Catfish And Stipers - Is April a good time?

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by Captain Cat, Jan 22, 2006.

1. Captain Cat

Captain Cat Member

State:
    New York
    Is April a good time for stripers and cats at Sante? From what I have read,do you fish about the same way for both? What else can we fish for there? What size hooks are best for the big ones? Are single hooks or treble better?

2. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    April is an excellent time for both.The stripers will mainly be concentrated in the old Santee river channel as they make their spawing run or will be coming back down the same way.Herring is a good bait and once you find a school simply anchor over the channel and drop live herring straight down to the depth indicated.You can fish for largemouths,crappie and shellcrackers all of which should be going strong in april particularly the crappie.I use 7/0 size hooks but you wont need anything that big for stripers.Just be ready at anytime for a plus 50 catfish to latch on.I'm not promising you will catch one but they are there.Good luck.:)

3. Captain Cat

Captain Cat Member

State:
    New York
    Thanks Jim. Hope to get some cats but when I heard there where stripers I will have to try for some. We fish for shad, herring and stripers in the Hudson river in May when they run. Turkey Hunt in the morning and fish in the afternoon, I love the month of May.