Catfish and other info on the lower Colorado River

Discussion in 'CALIFORNIA RIVERS TALK' started by riverbud55, Apr 29, 2006.

1. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    thought i would start a tread on the river (Colorado) for info and fishen reports , as some of ya know i do most all my fishen on the colorado river near blythe Ca., the area around blythe is what I know best, but theres more then 150 miles of river so there alot of the river I have never been on and hope there's some folks that know other spots that they can add what they know and there reports

my thing this year will be to get the biggest flathead I can find, last year I got my first flatheads, my biggest being 17lb and think i got 15+or- between 5 and 12

found this on the web http://www.usbr.gov/lc/region/g2000/assess/chapter3.htm this has great info on the history of the lower colorado river a lot to read but worth the reading

2. Billy Jo

Billy Jo New Member

State:
    Peoria , Arizona
    Hey Dale, Thanks for the info on the lower river, lots of good info there. I am planing on doing a lot of fishing from Palo verde south to imperial dam, starting in June, when the weather starts to get good and hot. Thats when I feel is the best time to get the big flatheads. The hotter the better and you can fish all night in shorts and tee shirts and sleep all day under the A/C. Hope to see all my BOC Brothers at the river this summer and do so fishing together.
    Later BillY Jo

3. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    OK Dale,

You are going to make me come back down there with information like that (LOL).

I all ready got the the weather there on my Favorites on my computer, "and now this". :eek:oooh:

I for one will be reading this Thread all of the time because I been there & I know how wounderful of a place it is.:big_smile:

You take it easy Buddy,
    Bert:cool2:
    (Shaina)

4. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Good info Dale. I will be making a few runs there from Hune throughout the Summer as well. I am in sear4ch of my first flattie and than some more as well. Good looking out on that one.

5. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Dale do you also happen to have the details/website that contains the daily rising and lowering of the river. That would be extremely helpful as well.

6. riverbud55

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    here ya go on the web site http://www.usbr.gov/lc/riverops.html this one here is were you start off then clic on past 4 days and you should get this http://www.usbr.gov/lc/region/g4000/hourly/yester.html your looking for palo verda dam,you can studie these over time and you can get an idea of how it goesand get a understanding of how it works, if you want to know what going to happen you need to clic on Projected Operations then go to weekly op sched http://www.usbr.gov/lc/region/pao/rivops.html when looking at this you need to look at parker dam relese anything around 10000 cfs is a good flow of water but they only give whats going on for the day not by the hour and what happens there doesn't happen untill the following day in blythe.

heres another site that may help you out better http://waterdata.usgs.gov/az/nwis/current/?type=flow you need to clic on below palo verda dam or were ever your planing on fishing http://waterdata.usgs.gov/az/nwis/uv/?site_no=09429100&PARAmeter_cd=00065,00060 . If u go to the last 31 day you can see what it was like when we were there for the gathering http://waterdata.usgs.gov/az/nwis/uv?dd_cd=02&dd_cd=06&format=gif&period=31&site_no=09429100

7. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Hey guys I went along with Riverbud for some flatheading and we came up. This was an excellent fishing trip. We started out looking for gills in the morning with minimal success only getting 3. But those few that we had proved to be the difference maker. Later on around 3 we went out in the main river and found channels on stink bait. Later on around 7pm we posted up on a flathead spot along timble weeds in about 6 feet of water. Dale gets first dib on a 7 pound flat. I follow shortly with a 5 . Then when it got dark I put on the gill. First run at 1120pm turned up a 30 pounder. Then second run around 230am turned up a 35 pounder. This was the first time I got into flatheads and it will be the beginning of many adventures of flatheading for my future. Thanks to Dale for putting me onto the the flatties. Will post pics as soon as i can fix the resize problem.

Attached Files:

8. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    "That Cool B.H." :cool2: - "Sounds Like You & Dale Had A Good Trip" - And Just Looking At Thoes Photos, well lets just say:
    I'm getting my gear together as we speak. lol

"Good Job Guys"!:big_smile_2: :0a23:
    Hey B.H.'
    You did say that you was going to get you a flathead, and you got two! :big_smile:

Take it easy - Later,
    (Shaina)

9. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Way to go Brian!!!!!! Nice flatties bro.

10. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Thanks for the website, Dale! Congradulations on the nice catch, Brian! I knew you would before too long! I am going to have to head back down there as well! I know there is a few flathead or two with my name on it! Hey Bert, lets plan on a trip in June! I plan on flying down to drop my dad off with family in ariz anyway!

11. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Thanks fellas, it was a blast. They are starting to heat up there with a few people picking the big ones up. So its only going to get better.

12. Billy Jo

Billy Jo New Member

State:
    Peoria , Arizona
    Brian glad to see you got hooked up. Those are some nice flats. How did Dale do or was he just the guide?
    Dale I see you got the toon in the water, How did it work out? What part of the river did you fish? Did you do any fishing in the area that we were fishing that had all the holes? I plan on coming down about June 10th or 11th hope we will be able to together some time around then. I will give you a call when I get back from Oklahoma.
    Later Bill

13. riverbud55

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    hey bill got them at the cable, i also got a 8lber, toon worked ok must of not but the shifter back togather right cuz when the shift lever was forward it went in reverse thing did 25mph on the gps.

sure was a blast helpen blue out them big flats next time were look for 50's

we'll see ya all out there soon

14. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Hey phil,
    Going back down there sounds like a plan to me.:big_smile:

Of course I have to see what's up at the job. (You know how that can be:roll_eyes:)

(Shaina)

15. crazychuy

crazychuy New Member

State:
    Southern California
    Hey Blue & Riverbud,

Long time no chat. Hey Riverbud, is that a new boat that I see you guys on in "Blue's" pictures?

Nice to see you guys getting into some flatties. I think that I might have to go down there sometime to check out the action, if that's okay with you Riverbud?

Don't tell me you don't remember me guys? It's CHUY from the Tournament get together that we had last year, the first one.

CHUY

16. riverbud55

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    chuy:dude your not forgoten and ya dude we'll forsure hook up down there, ya the toon is new to me but very used (still needs a little tlc)sure made a good fishen boat for staying out all nite

17. crazychuy

crazychuy New Member

State:
    Southern California
    Hey Dale,

I happy to hear you got your toon like you wanted. What did you ever do with your old boat that you had at the tourney?

Did you sell it or thinking of selling it? I think I might know somebody that might want to buy it if the price is right. Let me know. Just PM me with the details if you are thinking of selling it and I'll just forward the information to the necessary personnel.

Thanks,

CHUY

18. asukevin

asukevin New Member

State:
    Tempe, AZ
    great catches dudes! how big were the bluegills that you were using? i sure would love to do some flathead huntin myself!

19. torment_hack

torment_hack New Member

State:
    california
    I dont know which way you go to the river...next time stop by the salton sea and get some tilapia...they make great bait for flatties

20. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Salton sea is a ways from the location we were at, but I am going to fish those areas near the sea as well soon. I been getting bits of info about where the best bait is and is adding them to my list. There are tons of backwaters and canals to get bait at. I am on a search to use tilapia next as well.