Catfish and kids and keeping their interest

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by kkyyoottee, Aug 22, 2007.

1. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I have read several posts on people having trouble keeping their kids interested in Catfishin !!! Well here is a trick we use, course we use gills for bait. The kids are the bait gitters!!! The action is fast paced and the kids love it!!! Dont be afraid to let your "student" help reeling in on first strike of the day even if its your favorite pole!! Any fish caught congradulate them on catching the bait. Keep them involved. Take breaks to let them panfish. Break up the monotony and they will be hooked for life!! :big_smile:

2. Wallbass

Wallbass New Member

State:
    Indiana
    When I take my kids or any kids I don't plan on fishin. Its a full time job helping and coaching them. Alot of Fun tho......Jeff:)

3. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    We sometimes put our own fishing desires ahead of our kids and thats when they loose interest. All I can say is LISTEN AND LISTEN GOOD!!! There will come a time when you will have all the time in the world to fish and if you put your wants ahead of your kids you will be fishing alone!!

4. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I plan on taking my nephews fishing shortly. I dont plan on doing much fishing, I plan on casting, baiting and maybe hook setting. They get to reel them all in unless they want to give up the pole. I plan on leaving as soon as they ask to leave, I want their first trips to be about them having fun. I dont plan on them casting until they practice and prove they can cast without hooking each other, themselves, me or any trees on every cast. Once they decide if they like it fishing trips will be decided on behavior and school performance. The first fishing trips will likely be for bluegill and whatever bites. I cant wait I think the oldest 7, is old enough to go but the 3 year old may have to wait for awhile.

5. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    My 2 oldest sons have caught more fish than me this year. Bluegills,channels, perch etc. I'm usually the baiter when they are out with me. I believe their interest in fishing is there for life.:006: :0010: :0010: :0010:

6. kingneck76

kingneck76 New Member

State:
    Jeff City MO
    I have a 5 yr old that I have taken on quite a few bait getting trips. he loves it. I just graduated him to catfishing, and he was very excited. His first trip out I asked him to help me put the shad from the bait net into the bucket. He said "why do i have to do that? you told me i wasn't going to be a bait getter. i was going to be a catfisher." I try to keep him busy. wether it be checkin on the bait in the bucket, catchin more bait, or just checkin poles. Now he is 5 so i bring some construction truck for him to play in the dirt some. it gives him a break from fishing. plus he just wants to be where his dad is, and help out. I hope he still feels the same way once he is old enough to mow the yard. lol

7. Wallbass

Wallbass New Member

State:
    Indiana
    :0a23: HIGH FIVE to all you brothers for Keeping the Sport Alive!!!!!

8. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Good post. When ever I go fishing with my wife or some local kids, I always put their enjoyment first. An extra perk is that I have an ample supply of cat bait!

9. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    My 8 year old is with me on almost every trip. I usually night fish on the river, so he gets to help me call the shots until about 11PM when he usually crashes out. Then I get to fish the way I want for the rest of the night:big_smile:. He's a pretty good bait catcher (he's kind of short so he only throws a 3' net) and he caught a 6# blue the other night on the river which got him hooked pretty good. He's a little light to be an anchor man, but all in all I couldn't ask for much better partner.

10. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    My 4 yr. old has been fishing w/ me since he was 2 or maybe even a little younger. All small kids have short attention spans so I always carry a bucket of toys with us. I also let him take 2 poles, 1 to play with and 1 he has to leave in the rod holder to really fish with(his PB is 7 lb. so far, he can't handle the bigguns by himself yet). Don't take the fishin too serious when kids are along, because they won't be still or quiet much. Just be patient and enjoy the time w/ the kids and they will enjoy it too.

11. fcrnnngbck25

fcrnnngbck25 New Member

State:
    Lafayette, Indi
    I know when my dad got me started out when i was 5 my goal ever since was to beat him in numbers and biggest fish thats what always got my interest at first. Now that i'm 17 its just a passion ill never get rid of. I can't imagine not going fishing atleast once a week on the weekends and I went for two months everyday during the summer so once you get em hooked they usually stay hooked especially when they catch there first whopper.

12. Ictalurus Punctatus

Ictalurus Punctatus New Member

State:
    Greensboro, NC
    There're some great ideas here. My younger girls (3 & 6) are my bait catchers. They also hold "worm races", chase frogs, roll down hills, and then come back to fish some more. The two older kids are a little more focused and don't mind sitting and watching poles. I just sit with them and talk about what they want to talk about, maybe tell a couple of good fart jokes. Take a couple of pairs of binoculars, and let them look around at all of the cool things that they might miss otherwise.

My basic philosophy is to let them set the pace, keep them safe, and demand that they to give proper respect to the environment.

Jon

13. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    My dad took me fishing when i was 5 and i caught a little channel on my snoopy pole. ive fished ever since, and now my daughter is almost ready for her snoopy pole. my dad was a little more into bass but im a catfisherman first and foremost.

14. killentime99

killentime99 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    going fishing tonight so we took a family trip this morning to get bait. Mom caught 4 dad caught 0 and my daughter caught 21. only kept 9 for bait. All
    Ill have to do tonight is catch more than she did today or she will let me know that she is a better fisher than her me