Catfish and colder weather

Discussion in 'PENNSYLVANIA RIVERS TALK' started by Pennsylvaniacatchaser, Oct 20, 2005.

1. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Now that cooler weather is setting in I would like to know how the Cats are bitin' on our Pa. waterways. I'm real curious at what temp does the fishing become poor? How deep should we be fishing? I know the Flatheads gather in deep holes for the winter but when does that happen? I've caught Channel Cats ice fishing (every year I alway's seem to catch one) so do they have different cold water habbits than the Flatheads? I wish it wasn't so late in the year, gonna be a long winter. Still time I hope to get a few more Cat's anyhow.

2. misterwhiskers

misterwhiskers New Member

State:
    Trenton
    I fish the Deleware all winter long with great success for channels.I find them stacked up in ahole or holes i've fished before in the summeer anddownriver a bit from the power plant is always agood bet.

The only difference i really noticed during thewinter isthey are not very active but very sluggish,they don't take the bait and run but rather sit still and suck on it.Keep an eye out for line movement and rod tip twitching.

Right now they are feeding in thesameplaces they have all summer fattening up for the winter,I'd say they move when the water temp gets in the 50's .From what i've read on here the same applies to flatheads but don't quote me on that,much more experienced with channels.
    My biggest catches came during the winter months.

3. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Iv'e been fishing the mon a couple or times aweek and im still catching flatheads havent landed a real big one yet thought i had a big run the other night went to set the hook had it on for a second was swimming straight up towards dam know it was a big one. Been catching most fish on smashed chubs or cutup bluegill heads.

4. jigerjim

jigerjim Member

State:
    North East Pa.
    At this time of the year I fish the deeper water of the same pool's, down where the water 15 -18' deep. In the warmer month I just move up to the head of the pool's where the water is running faster and shallower with more oxigen. I still use the same bait, for me chicken liver alway's work's, maybe some cut bait if I can find it.

5. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Well things have really taken a turn for the worse with the weather. Cold temps. in the 30's at night - highs in the 40's during the day, rain and even some snow flying already. I am thinkin' of pulling the boat from the river :sad: . I'm ready for spring already. Anybody catchin' anything?

6. misterwhiskers

State:
    Trenton
    40 degrees is not too cold....LOL

Snows actually pretty to look at while on theriver.I enjoy seeing snow covered banks while out fishing.

Caught a few over the weekend with chicken livers and bunker,were in 5-7 feet of water.Water temp was 56.
    Too high muddy and windy,today but goin out tommorrow.

7. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Misterwhiskers - The 56 degree water temp. is pretty good where your fishing. Were in the lower 40's here in western Pa. I am going to go out Sunday and have a go at it. I have to pull the boat out soon regardless cause the marina closes soon.

8. misterwhiskers

State:
    Trenton
    Well,is down to 46 yesterday.Supposedly wamrmer weather through monday so it may get back in the low50's beginning next week.We didn't get much of a fall here this year,right from hot tocold.

9. Trenton Makes

Trenton Makes New Member

Went out this past Sunday water temp. was 36.Got over 75 cats.If you are fishin a river look for the deepest hole out of the main channel you can find.Thay all will be thare.

10. kaleigh

kaleigh New Member

State:
    Lehigh Valley Pa
    Anyone got any ideas for areas to try,My favorite areas have dried up in the Bethlehem area.Although last weekend,in the Lehigh something broke my 12 lb test line,so I broke out a surf rod with 80# line and with the same result in the same hole.Now I got steel leaders to try next weekend.I was using Danny Kings punch bait.Any ideas....catfish or musky???????????? :cursing:

11. kaleigh

kaleigh New Member

State:
    Lehigh Valley Pa
    do you fish in the warm water return to the river? They must be hiding in the warm water return area. :confused:

12. kaleigh

kaleigh New Member

State:
    Lehigh Valley Pa
    How are thing around the Martins Creek power plant? By the warm water discharge? :know-big: :know-big:

13. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    When the weather gets cold, i fish at a warmwater discharge on the Susquehanna River. I live about 25 min. south of Harrisburgh. Yesterday i pulled a 32 incer out of there. I didn't have my scale w/ me and i released because u had ridden my bike.

14. Lil Hooker

Lil Hooker New Member

State:
    Your BackYard BOO
    Find the deepest hole and you should find some cats