catfish amazing senses?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by rcbbracing, Apr 27, 2009.

1. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Okay what im thinking...My catch #'s have went down since last year...now i realize that the water is still cold but seriously i really should be able to catch something on charles mill or knox lake other than a friggin carp while catfishing...So i was thinking...What if the catfish arent fans of tobacco...I mean seriously if you think about it they are covered in taste buds....I didnt dip most of last year and i was catching fish...I restarted and now im not catching fish...I wonder how much has to do with the tobacco residues still being on my hands...I bought some enzymatic odor elimination wipes to see if that will help...lol....what do you all think?

2. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Well I quit smoking 3 weeks ago and have been out twice since then and still no fish but for me thats pretty normal LOL

3. jerryb

jerryb New Member

State:
    Ohio
    They can still smell bad mojo.... LOL

(I know. Believe me, I know!)

4. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Man I have thought about that so many freakin times, but I gotta tell ya. When I watch videos of Steve Douglas (Akwalung), every freakin fish he has, he has a cigarette hanging out of his mouth, so it doesn't seem to bother his fish, and he boats more fish a year than I probably will my entire life, I am not worried about it...Sorry for throwing ya under the bus steve!LMAO!!!:wink::smile2:

5. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I found this quote on the website http://www.ionchannels.org/showabstract.php?pmid=7685945

"Catfish, described as 'swimming tongues', are unique experimental models for studies of taste reception because of the extensive distribution of taste buds over their external body surface and within their oropharyngeal cavity. Both the extraordinary numbers of taste buds and their high sensitivity to amino acids have made it possible to perform in the same species: biochemical and biophysical studies of stimulus recognition and signal transduction; electrophysiological recordings of taste activity from receptor cells, afferent nerve fibers and CNS relays; and behavioral studies of taste-controlled food search, biting and mastication. The close correspondence of results obtained with these diverse experimental approaches has provided critical information concerning vertebrate gustation."

Okay i also found this about tobacco and amino acids... on the website http://www.springerlink.com/content/7724852538174407/
    ...I know there is a lot of technial jargon and its hard to make out but essentially there are lots of amino acids in tobacco products. Channel catfish from what i read or abnormally influenced by amino acids.

"Summary An HPLC method for the determination of primary amino acids in tobacco, based on precolumn derivatization with the fluorogenic reagent naphthalene-2,3-dicarboxaldehyde, is described. Sample preparation consists of a single step of extraction with waterethanol (1[​IMG]1, v/v) at ambient temperature (assisted by sonication), followed by filtration of an aliquot and addition of derivatization reagents. High performance liquid chromatographic separation of the derivatized amino acids is performed on a Novapak C-18 column using fluorescence detection with excitation and emission wavelengths set at 246 and 470 nm respectively. Extraction efficiency, matrix interferences and other important variables are studied. This method has been used to analyze different types of tobaccos including burley, bright and oriental with satisfactory results."

6. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I watched some show on national geographic a while back about monster fish, anyway these guys were fishing for monster rays. One guy had one hooked, but the thing was so massive is bassically stuck itself to the bottom like a suction cup. Interestingly enough, dude took a big pouch of tobacco and dropped it down the line, the fish let go of the bottom and they brought in this like 200+lb ray....now you have really got me wondering...:confused2:

7. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have often wondered the same thing when it comes to gas on your hands or sun screen. Pretty much anything that goes on your hands. Maybe we should get a bucket of shad and let it sit out in the sun for about a week then before we bait we just dip our hands in the shad bucket. I doubt anything would make it through that stink.

8. One Legged Josh

One Legged Josh New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I cant buy a fish unless I have a dip in!

9. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    So we are going out to knox lake sunday morning at 3am....I am not going to touch the dip...Or atleast wash my hands afterwords and compare to how mike who also dips does...I want to figure this out cuz i dont see how it couldnt affect the bite with how good these fishes taste sences are....Just an fyi

10. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    maybe grab some plastic gloves to put on when you bait.

11. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    well I'd seen some pretty awful photos of what happens when addicted tobacco chewers get cancer in the jaw. personally that is convincing proof, irregardless of the fishing.

I'm sure that tobacco of anyform is a hard habit to break though:embarassed:

I don't know:confused2: maybe Catfish have seen those nasty photos too?:tounge_out: just guessing and good luck.

12. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    No offense but if you are not or were not a smoker then really keep that crap to yourself. We (smokers or ex smokers) dont need holier than thou never been telling us what we already know.

I know that your just trying to "help out" but it doesnt really it doesnt. before this gets any further off track I dont think it makes a difference what you have on your hands.

13. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i have smoked and or dipped for or about 10 years now and i dont really think it has any affect on the fishes. just think about this. i was actually out just yesterday fishing and was sitting there waiting to get a run on my cat rods. i looked over into the water and there was a little bass swimming around. it swam up to a cigarette butt (not mine, was there when i pulled up) and tried to eat it. that was proof enough for me that fish dont mind tobacco. i know it wasnt a catfish, but it was a fish so i am convinced. i have never really noticed a diffrence with tobacco, but i do know that they do not like sunscreen or bug repellant. if you have that on your hands when you are baiting your hook, you are wasting your time. i dont think that your dipping will affect the fishes. and for those of you out there that have never dipped or smoked, good for you. but i will say this. i knew a guy that had never smoked, drank alcohol, ran everyday, was in great shape and refused to eat red meat. he died at 32. got hit by a truck running to work one day. so all of that healthy crap didnt help out one bit. :wink:

14. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Thats why I smoke and chew Gary!:smile2:

15. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I got a buddy I go crappie fishing with and he never does crap without a dip in and he always catches more crappie than I do. I used to smoke but I don't anymore except for a cigar now and then. For whatever it is worth I usually catch more cats!

16. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    ssgtfishslayer I know exactly what you are talking about! I know all kinds of ppl that smoke and drink heavy for years and end up living into their 80s but others that ate health and worked out and stayed away from alcohol and tobacco and they end up dying for a heart attack or brain anurizm or something crazy....boy is this getting off topic lol

17. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Many old timers used to spit baccy juice on their bait and swear by it.
    Tobacco is not gas or bug repellent.
    I have caught more fish in forty years of smoking than I have I one and a half of not smoking.
    If you are worried about it do as some of my buddies do. They keep a bottle of fish attractant and rub it on their hands before baiting up. problem solved.

Gary, sounds like you need a smoke! lol :smile2:

18. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Actually doing pretty good Jack...

19. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    This thread got me thinking about one time when I was lake fishing. Me and a buddy were sitting not to far from these guys that were doing everything wrong according to the book. They had a fire, lanterns and flashlights. They were playing music loudly. They were smoking/drinking etc. These guys caught fish left and right and no one else I could see was catching anything. Go figure.

20. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I know what you mean about guys being loud and stuff....saw two guys do the same thing at charles mill the other night with mike.....these guys were loud mouths lol....