Catfish aging

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by Cut bait, May 21, 2007.

1. Cut bait

Cut bait New Member

State:
    MISSOURI
    How do you age a catfish?? Im mainly talking about the ones im keeping for the freezer or like the huge dead one I found over the week end.
    Give details if you have em.

2. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    You probably have your answer by now, but there's a bone called the otolith that apparently has growth rings like a tree and biologists can fairly accurately determine the age of fish by counting the rings. In catfish, they can also use the pectoral fin in the same way.

How can *you* age your fish? You can't, really, beyond knowing that bigger fish are older than younger fish.

Here's some information that might help: http://www.fisheries.org/afs/publications/books/sympsample.pdf

3. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Great new avatar T. When did you get that pig? Did I miss something?

4. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    T is right you need the ear bone out of the fish head and that isn't all that easy to get to. It took my a few trys to get it down and the tools you would need will cost big bucks. As he also said the pectoral fin can be used to get around the right age i am now going into my 3nd year testing fish on my waters with Fisheries and hope to have a chart put together sometime this season. But every body of water will be different but it will be a guide line or starting place something we don't really have right now

5. STICKBENDER

STICKBENDER New Member

State:
    Missouri
    for the ones in the freezer, I just put a date on the package and I can get age pretty good that way when I got to thaw em out ;)

6. Cut bait

Cut bait New Member

State:
    MISSOURI
    From what I keep reading between the ages of 10 & 12 their is a large size difference in blue cats. Is that what you are seeing?
    Hears what makes me wonder, ive caught fish at 50lbs that looked really old and ive caught fish at 50lbs that you could tell still had a long way to grown.
    I no thatÂ’s not scientific but its what ive seen over the years.

7. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    there are some fish that are only gonna get so big no matter how old they get. Fish are not just gonna keep growing no matter old they get eventually they are going to hit a peak, they may get fatter but not gonna get any longer. They are like people in that sense once you are full grown you are not gonna get taller just because you get older, you are gonna hit a peak and then with age you are going to lose muscle mass and become smaller. But maybe just get a big belly.

8. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    We have had 6 year old fish that weigh 6 to 10 lbs. we have seen 8 year old fish at 20 lbs the biggest we have done was a 53lber and it age was 15 years. but we had seen 40 lbers at 11 years. What we have seen here in the potomac is that they can after they hit 10 lbs grow around 5 to 8 lbs a year
    We are looking to start tagging some small fish 2 to 4 lbs this summer and see what we can do. When I start this I will have something list on my web site to see what fish was taken again and now big it has gotten from its last catch. I think this will be great to watch and will give as a better record of what the blues are doing in this river.

9. Cut bait

Cut bait New Member

State:
    MISSOURI
    This post goes to show one thing. Hear in MO with a little help from the MDC we could have alot of monsters cats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    C P R is the ticket I will not let any fish over 5 lbs go home with anybody on my boat that my rule and they will follow it or stay home

11. cpalombo

cpalombo New Member

State:
    Nashville TN
    That is a good rule. There are a lot of 5er blue cats out there, but not many 50's. In northern Michigan, the rule was to keep no walleye larger than 22, and no brook trout larger than 12 inches. Besides, smaller fish taste better (I dont eat catfish of any size, but I love a baby walleye sandwich or a trout on a skewer over the campfire!).

CP

12. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Kevin Sullivan MDC resourse scientist did a presentation for us at the Mo. Gathering last week end and shared some very interesting info about age structure on Truman.

I think everyone was suprised as to how slow the growth rate really is. Kevin believes part of the problem is over harvest of fish as well as the lack of aquatic vegatation on the lake. They are trying to introduce some aquatics to the lake but its really up to use let those big fish swim off if we plan to have trophy waters.

Attached Files:

13. Cut bait

Cut bait New Member

State:
    MISSOURI
    Are they(MDC) going to change the regulations any time soon if not then it wont change much

14. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Sorry the image size is so small. I tryed to re-size but it says file is too large. If anyone wants me to send me a pm and I will e-mail them to you.

One study on trophy regs. Kevin is working on is a 85 mile stretch from Glascow down river on the Missouri River. Plans are in the works for designating this area for trophy fish in the near future. Expect some new regs. on lenght limits in this area.

15. Cut bait

Cut bait New Member

State:
    MISSOURI
    Thanks for the E-MAIL!!
    Those are the slowest growth rates ive ever seen
    anywhere????? That really is depressing when your after monster fish.
    Ive seen studies from OK, TN, IL, and other from the north and they where much higher than that.
    I wounder if lake O has a better rate?