Catfish age - How old is a fish that weighs...

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Flatheadhunter33, Jun 15, 2006.

1. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    The thread concerning us overdoing the CPR thing has me wondering how to tell the age of a cat. It's pretty obvious that a big cat has been around for some time. Is there a general rule of thumb for determining the age based on size?

2. tatersalad

tatersalad New Member

State:
    Clover, SC
    I am pretty sure, after talking to FishfinderSC, that it can vary a great deal by species, location, etc. Some of the more knowledgeable members will no doubt shed more light.

:embarassed:

3. TxRiverman

TxRiverman New Member

State:
    Lockhart Tx
    Ive always heard that it was close to 2-3lbs a year. That may not be accurate,i guess it depend on the availabilty of forage,but that might get you in the ball park.

4. Norm

Norm New Member

State:
    Freeport, IL
    Search the internet. For different parts of the country, cold vs warmer, the different species of fish grow at varying speeds. In norther MI, the feeding times of the year are a lot shorter, than the feeding times in TX so the TX fish will grow faster than the MI fish, even for the same species.

5. SilencedMajority

SilencedMajority New Member

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    In certain areas, fish will only get a certain size, but as far as maximum age, I've heard these figures are in the ballpark:

Channel Catfish= 15-20 years

Blue Catfish= 22-28 years

Flathead Catfish= 19-26 years

6. fishnfool68

fishnfool68 New Member

State:
    Near Tulsa Oklahoma
    On Oklahoma's wildlife dept. site they had a study of blue cat growth in state lakes.The findings are shocking.In some waters the fish grew a few pounds a year but in other lakes blues grew faster,or slower.They had one fish I believe came from a small lake that was 2lbs and over 20years old!They also had info on the same site about research on other lakes and how fishermen could determine the age of the fish they cleaned and report it to the researchers.I'd forget what part thier on, but there is a bone that has rings like a tree for every year the fish has lived.If you want to check for yourself (I hope it is ok to give the site on here)our state site is-www.wildlifedepartment.com.Hope this answers some questions:smile2:

7. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    I am working with the maryland fisheries now to get info on the fish here in the Potomac river. To get the right age of a fish you most kill him and take two very small bone like parts out of its head. by counting the ring you can get the right age of that fish. We did 5 fish so far 3 around 2lbs that was 2 years old a 5 lber that was 3 and a 9 lber that was 7. when we get more done i will make a post in the maryland state post and keep every up on are finds. I will not kill a big fish just to get its age but we have ask alot of tackle shops to look at for bigger fish and maybe get us the heads so we can get info on them. All 5 of the fish was channels we wil be doing some blues here next week.

8. cnwamw

cnwamw New Member

State:
    texas
    CPR thing ??????

9. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    UT of Tn did a study around 1980, They would show up and go in each boat ( mine and dads) we were fishing trot lines. And they would clip a side fin off. That side fin also has the rings. so They should be able to do it without killing them.
    But you know if they would like to have the little bones. Just get people that are eating fish to save them with the weigh, Length and write it all down and stick it all in a zip lock bag.
    Pete

10. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    Catch, Photogragh, Release to be caught again when bigger(CPR):big_smile:

11. cnwamw

cnwamw New Member

State:
    texas
    thanks for the explonation

12. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    i was told by fish and wild life ranger in indiana ,at markland dam on the ohio river that catfish in that area gain 2 to 3 lbs a year but thats not accurate do to hatchlings in a year wont cause iv caught fish that didnt weigh a pound in late summer that had to be from the season before, i was also told that the front fins on catfish have rings to show the years theyve grown

13. Fisher14

Fisher14 New Member

State:
    SC
    So, say 3 lbs. per year......then that world record blue caught recently must have been over 40 years old. Wow....that looks about double the life expectancy of a normal blue! But I bet ya there's a bigger one out there. I would bank on that!

14. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    FH33: me and fishgeek posted some findings from northern indiana if you want to compile and compaire. i havent learned how to post a link yet sorry just look in archives. we only tested small eaters( i release all large fish ) they do section the bones in the fins and look for rings. i have noticed that the vertibra has the same ring thing goin on. in the pile, out back of the shed,you can plainly see the rings after the bugs and sun does its thing. you mite look at your own fishs age,er well if you live in the country and up wind of your shed. :bad_smelly: 4sure.

if you do compile a list, of sorts, please post for us to learn from too brother.

15. Vonroc

Vonroc New Member

State:
    Central Ohio
    I can't speak for the growth rate of Faltheads or Blue, but according to Ohio State University pond management article a Channel Cat in Ohio will go about

1 year - 6.4" - 0.3 lbs
    2 years - 9.6" - 0.5 lbs
    3 years - 12.6" - 0.8 lbs
    4 years - 14.3" - 1.3 lbs
    5 years - 16.7" - 2.0 lbs
    10 years - 26.6" - 8.0 lbs

I'm sure state to state results will vary.

16. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    No, there is no way to guage the age of a catfish.

There are so many factors that come into play such as water temperature, availabilty of food, competetion for food, and quality of food that guessing an age is nearly impossible and hardly accurate.

17. Gabowman

Gabowman Member

State:
    Georgia
    Interesting thread.

18. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I went to A blue cat seminar last winter. The guy who was speaking, James Jaimison, was working with the Mo dept of conservation doing a study on blue cat Growth rates in the Mo river. He said That they now say the studys done previously using the pectoral fins are flawed and produced inaccurate data.