Catfish advice for a newbie

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by husker95, Jan 1, 2007.

1. husker95

husker95 New Member

State:
    Colorado
    Hey guys, great forum i have already learned a lot. I live in Colorado, Denver metro area. I fish a lot already for trout, walleye, smallies, wiper, etc, but would like to get into some cats. They are a much better eating fish than trout and i think they are under-fished in many of the local reservoirs. Generally speaking, can you guys clue me into seasonal behaviour of channel cats in the spring and summer? What is the best way to target them during these seasons (shallow, deep, baits)? I know thats a broad question that could comprise a book, but any brief advice would help. Thanks!

Husker

2. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    welcome to the BOC mathew , not from your area but im sure someone will chime in soon to give you some heads up on your waters .
    around here we catch cats year round if the water is up the channels are usualy feeding of the bank or near shallower waters where creeks and ditches wash fresh bait in bait being small minnows and or worms , alot of folks use chicken livers or stink baits but i prefer fresh cut shad or bream the livlier the better when cut , its fresh and bloody and channels cant resist them. good luck

3. jsk30

jsk30 New Member

State:
    NC
    Welcome to the BOC Mathew

4. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Matt.

5. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    Welcome Matt. Chatfield has nice channels cats try plum creek or what they call catfish flats.I also have seen some caught at the outlet .

6. richard dunbar

richard dunbar New Member

State:
    Washington
    Not only chatfield but Cherry also has some 20lbers in it as well, use frozen cut bait and check to see if using live pan fish is legal. You may even look into using small trout 6-10 inches around the damn. Check to see if its legal though CO is kind of funny about those things sometimes. Welcome to the BOC

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Matt Welcome to the BOC. There is a lot of info. on this web site and you will become addictive to it. Good Fishing:smile2:

8. Ice-Berg

Ice-Berg New Member

State:
    Ohio,Cinci
    Channel cats: 10-20 pound test
    Try fishing 10-15ft deep during the day, 5-10ft deep during night
    Best baits: Nightcrawlers, doughballs, and livers for the ones under 5 pounds, for larger try live and cut shad,bluegill, crayfish (live), and perch.

Flathead/Blue cats: 20-50 pound test
    Search for in large rivers and large lakes, stick to using live shad and bluegill, or fresh cut shad/bluegill and stay away from the stinkbaits for these kind of cats. Fish 7ft to 12 at night, and 13 ft to 20ft in the day time.

9. husker95

husker95 New Member

State:
    Colorado
    Thanks for the info guys! I really appreciate it. Guess i should have been more specific. I will mostly be hitting the reservoirs around the metro area. Dafin and Richard Dunbar, sounds like you have spent some time here. I live about 4 miles from cherry creek and definitely hit Chatfield a few times a year. Dunbar, were you stationed here with the military (Buckley AFB)?

Husker

10. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Welcome to the BOC Matthew. Since I'm not from your neck of the woods, I don't know exactly how the cats behaviors are there seasonally. Here, spring and early summer are possible the best times to catch channel cats, numbers and size wise. From my experience, the best time to fish for them is after a heavy rainy period when water levels are up, not flooding, but higher then usually and murky. Fishing shallow cover at night near a drainage to the reservior or at the the mouth of the reservior are good bets to find some channel cats. When the water is up and murky, smelly, bloody, and oily baits work best. My best luck comes with cut creek chubs and chicken livers, cut creek chub generally attracts the bigger cats as well, but if eater sized cats is what you want, you can catch a nice mess using chicken livers. I'm not sure what sort of baitfish you have out there, I'm sure your DNR wouldn't be too psyched about you cutting up trout for bait, but I'm sure you have sunfish and bluegills and those work well as cut bait. During the heat in the summer months do most of your fishing at night or early and late in the day, or fish deep during daylight. Hope this helps.

11. rednecksportsman511

rednecksportsman511 New Member

State:
    Birmingham, AL
    welcome to the BOC brotha! not familiar with your area, but i've had a lot of success with channels on hotdogs in about 10-15ft of water. but it really varies from water to water, so my best advice is to try everything and find what works. besides, that way you can spend more time fishin

12. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    Welcome to the BOC Matt. Good to have you aboard and guys seem to be putting you in the right direction. I have fished mostly rivers for cats, but have caught a few trolling on lakes. On the rivers we target lrger cats in the heavy current with Cut bait, Shad and Skip Jack.

13. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Welcome to the boc matt!

14. scwolf

scwolf New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    cat tracker stink baits seem to work best here in sc for me personally, have caught them up to 10lbs, nice eating size

15. vacatfish

vacatfish New Member

State:
    bedford virginia
    When getting into catfishing one key thing can be a very big help and thats keeping note yes note.

Keep note of the temp of the day or night that your fishing keep note of water temp if you can keep note of the area your fishing and whats in the area your fishing keep note of what worked for you and what did not work for you.

The time of day or night. the bait that worked and the bait that did not work. you can later refer back on this and get a good idea of whats best going to work for you.

Hope this is to some help.

16. Angelkitty

Angelkitty New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Ar
    Welcome to the BOC.

17. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Shrimp and cut bait are my favorites. I prefer cut bluegill, especially the heads for larger fish. Shad works well too.