Catfish: A Southern Cultural Icon

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by postbeetle, Jun 18, 2007.

1. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Found a quite interesting article browsing the ether. For all you Southern folk (who on this forum ain't Southern) take a look if you have time. It's long. Have a beer or cup of coffee handy, and make sure you or the dog doesn't have to go out.

http://users.aristotle.net/~russjohn/commerce/ctfsh.html

2. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    Thank You for this post. going to read that some more.

3. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks for sharing.:big_smile:

4. STUMPKNOCKER

STUMPKNOCKER New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Good read thanks for posting.

5. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks for the post....beetle.:smile2: So....I have also heard that peanut oil is best for frying fish. Some say it's the flavor. Some say it's because it has a higher burn point, and will last longer without making your fish taste burnt. Anyway, I usually use canola oil, mostly because it's cheep. I can't afford peanut oil, and I have a friend who is allergic to it. I fried some fish a couple of weeks ago, and didn't have enough oil, and didn't want to go to the store, so I used a big can of crisco instead. I was suprised to find that the fish turned out soooo crispy and yummy that I will probably continue to use crisco. Just thought I'd say that.:big_smile:

6. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Kat I got to agree with you on the Crisco. My mother taught me how to make fried chicken. I am prejudiced of course but her chicken was as good as any Southern fried I have had and she was from Maine. She told me if you want to fry anything Crisco would be the way to go. Some of the best fried food I have had has been cooked in lard. Real home rendered lard from a real pig. Can't find that nowadays, and if you could most people would think they are going to die from coming in contact with it. Must be all Muslims anymore.