Catfish: A Gamefish or A Rough Fish?!?!?!

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by channelcat_tracker, Jun 21, 2006.

1. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hey guys, just recently I got into a debate with a bunch of guys I was fishing with. Also their were more people I talked to that I debated with. We debated for a while on whether a catfish is a gamefish or a rough fish like carp, gar, or dogfish! Now knowing that I am a LOYAL catfisherman, I just had to declare that a catfish IS a gamefish. My part on the debate is that you CANT sell catfish without a license in Iowa, also, it is a delicasy in fancy restaurants. I think that catfish are one of the TOP fish species in North America and that the Ba$$ is a rough fish because I just plain dont like the fish as well as the fishermen fishin for em. Usually ba$$ fisherman that I know of (no offense to the ba$$ fisherman I dont know) act all snobby to me and think Im a loser when fishin for cats.

On their side of the debate was: catfish are sold in restaurants because they are tasty and can be grown in large amounts in farm ponds! (Yes, I know thats true) also, You only see barbarions (ugh, how could they call us that!!!!) fishing for catfish. Catfish are rough fish because they are very ugly.

My second defense is that catfish are seen in famous magazines such as Fur Fish & Game, Iowa Game & Fish, In Fisherman, & American Hunter! So you think they would be a gamefish right?!?!?!?! wow this is a confusing debate. :crazy: Plus no one is right or wrong. yet I still believe that a catfish are the most highly respected fish species!!! Whos side of the debate are you guys on!?!?!?!

2. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    The key issue is not what side WE are on but how your State Wildlife Agency considers the fish.Many states and more are joining the band wagon, consider and list the catfishes as Gamefish.This affords them protection in that they can be managed and protected just like bass or trout etc and do not protect them.This is what is happening to Santee Cooper in SC.Last year for the first time legislation was pushed forward to limit the killing of the big trophy cats.Blues and Channels that is.It will be virtually impossible to gaain gamefish status for Flatheads in these states at least in my opinion.More and more attention is being paid to catfish today than ever was in the past but WE all must speak up when we have the chance if you wish to see them considered gamefish in all the states.:smile2:

3. redneckdrum

redneckdrum New Member

State:
    kansas
    To me,it is THE fish.

4. catsrking

catsrking New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Cats are gamefish with a daily/possesion limit on Iowa's inland waters, page 7 of the '06 fishing regs. That's how I read it anyway.

5. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    says for me that i can take as many as i wish. but i never do cuz i like to cpr them and release em into ponds so they get better and BIGGER !!!!!!!!!!!

6. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I am pretty happy with Missouri's take on it.

Flathead: Gamefish
    Blues: Gamefish
    Channels: Gamefish
    Bullheads: Bait (if it's less than 5" long)

They used to lump blues and channels together due to the "difficulties" in telling the large ones apart, but they have seperate limits now.

They also have a guide on how to tell them apart in the regs.

7. Big Eli

Big Eli New Member

State:
    Ohio, Clifton
    Ohio has joined the ranks now setting tighter regs on cats. Not only as "game fish" but as trophys. As of this year your only aloud 1 channel over 28" and 1 flathead over 35" per day.

To me the cat is a much more pleaseing fish to the eye and without a dout far and away better on the plate!!!!!

8. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    to me its a game fish. bass are just something i accidently catch while waiting for the real gamefish to bite.
    Heres what i consider gamefish:

1.catfish
    2.trout
    3.crappie (tastes to good not to list)
    4. anything with teeth

bass are just haphazard entertainment randomly caught while searching for gamefish.

9. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    It is definantly the best gamefish

10. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Catfish/Bass? Well lets look at it. To start off with Catfish tast better than Bass Right? Catfish Fight harder than Bass Right? Catfish are perter than bass Right? Bass don't eat Catfish, But Catfish eat bass Right ?Catfish grow bigger than Bass Right? We who fish for Catfish Don't have to ware those stupid looking outfits Right? Those who fish for Catfish don't have to spend Thousands for that bass boat Right? Catfisherman/Women don't have to pre fish the lake to catch them We already Know where they are at Right? Catfishermem/Women arnt afraid to fish when it gets dark like Bass fisher man Right? Well to Some it all up You could Take OnE hUNDRED of them and they Woulder't make a good Pimple on any catman/ womens BUTT!!! Gamefish hell ya!!!! bIGCATMAN0816.:smile2:

11. catsrking

catsrking New Member

State:
    Iowa

12. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    To me catfish is a gamefish. In Illinois they only have site specific regulations on them. Most large bodies of water have no limits, but there is quite a bit of commercial fishign done on the illinois and mississippi rivers here. I'm sure those people doin't want to see it be listed as an actual gamefish. I fish for other things on occasion, but to me catfish are the most fun.

13. el_pescador

el_pescador New Member

State:
    Missouri
    :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: First of all, this wasn't a debate about catfish being better than bass, but it seems it always turns into one. Now Dont get me wrong, catfish are a game fish, and they are my favorite to fish for, but some people just need some education on how the bass fishing world works. They don't have to "ware" those funny looking outfits, but most of them choose to because they are getting paid several grand to wear them, if you had the offer you would wear one too. Most of them don't spend the thousands of dollars, they get them free from a sponsor, and if they do spend the money, then yes, it is necessary to have if you want to compete. I don't care how good you are, you can not come to a 50,000 acre lake and just know where the catfish are, without any electronics or any sort of scouting. Bass fisherman are also not afraid of the dark, because our tournaments start at dark, around 5 am, and i know several of them personally who participate in night time tournaments at truman lake. Sorry to steal the thread, but the bass bashing seems kind of immature to me. Can't you just talk about how cool catfish are?

14. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    It just depends on the state regulations for taking game fish or non-game species.

My opinion is that coming from a rod & reel angler point of view then yes, I would consider a catfish a game fish. If I was using other techniques such as trotlines, limb lines, jugs, hoop nets and others, then more likely see catfish as non-game species. I dont know of any states that allow trotlines, jug lines and such to take largemouth/smallmouth bass, stripers, muskies, pikes and other game fish.

Could you imagine fishing a catfish tournament using artificial baits only ? Although it could be done, it would be tough. This is just my take on the subject and can see catfish falling under both categories.

15. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I do believe that Jim is the closest to hitting the nail on the head. Each individual state establishes the fish which fall into the game fish category, and which fall into the rough/trash fish category. As a rule of thumb, if there is a daily/possession limit, it is a gamefish. But check YOUR states game laws and don't trust what you get off the boards 100%.

16. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    Unfortunately Iowa is not progressive with the regulations some of you have mentioned. 13 catfish per day on a river, I think and no size limits. It is more a question of being classified as a trophy fish. Some of the regs are pretty undefined like it doesn't make you check setlines in person, even though the number is limited you can set them up for your whole family if I read the rules right. A limit of 13 on inland waters is basically unlimited in my experience here. I hear of a couple flats caught and it draws a crowd. There isn't a huge population, at least not for limits of 13. Possession limit of 26? The natural resources people here talk up flats in their publications and then do nothing to protect them. I'm not feeling their wisdom.

wolfman, there isn't a regulation on what you catch on setlines here, just # of hooks.

17. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    13 aounds about right... Oklahoma has a limit of 15, and these can be a mixture of channel and blue cats. Flats are different. I don't generally fish for them, but I think the limits like 3 per day and they have to be a minimum of 20 inches. So, I think your in the ball park. No matter what you may think about the limit though, I'd encourage you to comply with it and to ask questions of your game wardens before you find out the painful way that you misinterputed the regulations.