Catfish a game fish

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by MSgtCatfish, Jun 11, 2008.

1. MSgtCatfish

MSgtCatfish New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Does anyone's state out there consider any type of catfish a game fish? It would seem states would recognize catfish as a game fish since everything I read states that catfishing is 3rd in game and wildlife revenues behind panfish and bass. You know, afford the catfish species some protection with limits and/or size restrictions like other game fish receive. I was glad to see South Carolina step up and offer some protection to catfish and would like to see more states follow other states like SC and TN.

Just a spring board - let me know if your state classifies catfish as game fish and what you think about the matter.

2. dennis.p

dennis.p Guest

Blue and Channel cats are game fish in Oklahoma, with a combined daily limit of 15, Flatheads are classed as non-game fish that's why you can noodle them but they do have a 20 inch minimum size limit and a daily limit of 10 unless noodling then it's 3. This has been the limits for many years.

3. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    well illinois does not. alot of the smaller lakes has a 6 fish limit on channel catfish. no restriction on flatheads.

i would like to see some protection but since i eat alot of channels and many others do not to strict of regs. we have the capacity to stock fish in lakes. some restrictions on large flatheads i would agree with.

catfish are the #1 inland table fish in america. thats why i believe the restrictions arnt very high.

4. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    They are Game fish in Minnesota
    6 fish limit
    2 over 24 inches
    2 can only be Flathead

5. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Here in Nebraska, Catfish are reconized as a gamefish. Their ranking is number 1, ahead of bass and walleye! Some of the states in the midwest have the Catfish as the 1st in rank as a sportfish. Our Nebraska limits are as follows.

Bag Poss.

Channel Catfish 10 20
    Blue Catfish 1 2
    Flathead Catfish 5 10

This applies to the limits for Statewide on the Blue and Flathead Catfish. Inland Waters for the Channel Catfish.

Info was taken from the 2008 Nebraska Fishing Guide.
    Note: some waters have specific bag limits on Catfish.

:0a26::big_smile:

Mark.

6. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Missouri there game fish.

7. capt295

capt295 New Member

State:
    Newark ,Texas
    In texas they are gamefish

8. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    arkansas you can have 10 catfish a day except on the arkansas and miss.rivers then you can have 20 long as 10 of them are channels under 16 inches long.

9. JRicker

JRicker New Member

State:
    Tenessee
    Dont know if they are gamefish in TN but we are only allowed 1 catfish over like 34 inches but no limit on cats under 34 inches

10. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    catfish are not game fish in Alabama but they have the 34" one a day in place

11. CATFISHERMAN001

CATFISHERMAN001 New Member

State:
    ALABAMA
    Harold, when did they start the 34" rule? The last meeting I went to they said that they had no intentions on implimenting any laws on management of catfish in alabama waters.

12. LoneStarCatter

LoneStarCatter New Member

State:
    Texas
    25 a day for blues and channels in combination, minimum 12"
    5 a day for flats, minimum 18"

I'm not too sure about the prospect of limiting the larger cats like some states have, such a 1 a day over a certain length, but I am curious as to if that would help out here.
    I'm glad that we have some restrictions, otherwise people would (and some do anyway) pull hundreds of small and undersized cats a day. Now if we could get some enforcement on trotline and jugline regulations.