CATCHING YOUR OWN BAIT

Discussion in 'LOCAL GEORGIA TALK' started by altamahajon, Apr 6, 2008.

1. altamahajon

altamahajon New Member

State:
    Jesup, Georgia
    I just purchased a small minnow basket. Put some dried dog food in there and put it in the water for several hours. I could see minnows swimming all around but none caught inside the basket.:confused2: Any ideas or methods you use to catch bait for fishing.

Whether using a minnow basket, nets or just plain one on one catching smaller fish for bait, tell us how you catch your bait.

AJ

2. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    most of my bait comes from a throw net and i use it almost every day in the summer

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I catch my skipjack on rod & reel, using a couple of crappie jigs tied in tandem; get my shad with a cast net. When I do use bream or bullheads, I catch them on rod & reel.

4. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I catch almost all of my bait on rod and reel, mostly bream sometimes skipjack. I use a castnet to get shad occasionally also. I prefer to catch bait the day before I go fishing so I don't have to worry about bait during my trip.

5. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    thrownet for shad, and rod n reel for everything else. I think the bream down here in Georgia will be bedding down around the end of the month.....full moon is on the 20th

6. ArmyCatfish

ArmyCatfish New Member

State:
    Georgia
    i havnt used a minow bucket in years but they usualy do fine. dry dog food is all i use. i have found some dog foods work other than others i dont know why. maybe try another kind

7. gottagetabigun

gottagetabigun New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    if you listen to these guys that know what they are doing on here you see almost all catch their own bait. that is the only way to go. takes a little time but will save you a lot of money. plus you get a lot better bait. i have found i can learn a little bit about what the fish are doing when catching shad. how deep the shad are running, water temp they are in ect. these guys give good advice. i suggest using their tips. good luck.

8. altamahajon

altamahajon New Member

State:
    Jesup, Georgia
    That is pretty much what I have been doing. I went to the Library section and read all the posts there and made some changes in my gear from what I was using. I do acknowledge all of the years of experience and know how. The only thing about the cast net I have is getting it caught with all the logs and crap in the river. I have used it in lakes, ponds and on the coast with no problems tho.

I have only been fishing now a little over a year now. Got lots to learn........ once I got hooked cant seem to get enough after the 20 lb Cat I caught last year.

Thanks for the reply and advise.

9. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Cast nets are the way to go. All those minnows you saw swimming could have been in your net with one throw. Besides you have to love the challenge of learning how to use it.:big_smile: