catching winter shad

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by fat_fish55, Jan 19, 2006.

1. fat_fish55

fat_fish55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    any tips on catching shad in the winter in big rivers? below dams?

2. QuincyFisher

QuincyFisher New Member

State:
    Quincy,Illinois
    I havn't seen to many out right now...all i can say is keep trying

3. okiekrawler

okiekrawler New Member

State:
    roland ,oklahoma
    i seem to have some trouble also. if anyone can tell me what i am doing wrong i would appreciate it.

4. slider

slider New Member

State:
    louisiana, mo
    been finding them at clarksville behind the cells out of the current also in the marina at louisiana at a drop of in there hope this helps

5. fat_fish55

fat_fish55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    thanks
    i guess ill keep tryin and usin liver or stinkbait till i get in to em

6. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    Can't say for sure about areas other than where I fish, but the Shad are "mostly" deep this time of year. If it's legal in your state, a decent fast sinking cast net ought to get to them once you can find them in the holes with a depth finder.

/Scott

7. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i usually wait till the river gets up really high and muddy. they are easy to find then and just freeze them. they will be close to bank in eddys and slack water, if you have a warmwater discharge near or a feeder creek they'll be stacked up in there too when its up and muddy.

8. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I've had zero luck getting shad in the MO river, winter or summer. I have great luck at lakes, though. If you can get to the windward side of your local lake after a couple of warm days, you should do pretty good. The wind blows the algae that they eat to that side of the lake, so they go there to feed. If it's been warm, they'll be shallower and closer in. At least that's what I've found. Good luck!

Branden