Catching Wels

Discussion in 'Wels Catfishing' started by tnvol, Mar 13, 2009.

1. tnvol

tnvol New Member

State:
    Clarksvill
    We catch these here in Iraq where I'm stationed. The biggest ones Ive caught so far have been around 5 pounds but they get huge in these lakes. I catch them on hotdogs. Ive tried commercial catfish baits but they dont seem to like them as well as the dogs. I'll post some pics when I can. They are fun to catch. If this water wasnt so nasty Id cook one up but I cant bring myself to do it. lol

2. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    I've been curious to what kind of fish they had there.I had a friend there and asked him what was there when he came back but he was a non fisherman and didnt have a clue.

3. tnvol

tnvol New Member

State:
    Clarksvill
    Here is a great place to look. http://www.baghdadflyfishing.com

I do a lot of fishing here. All those fish on that site were caught right where I am. I catch lots of carp and Asps. Also Mangars and Wels catfish. I never would have thought it!! All these lakes are manmade. Some of the fish were imported like the Wels. Some of them are native and came from the Euphrates River. There are some HUGE fish here. The biggest Ive caught so far has been about 50 pounds but Ive seen way bigger fish. As I said in another thread, we saw something a couple weeks ago crash a school of small carp that was easily 6-7 feet long. I imagine it was a huge Mangar.

4. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    Thanks thats interesting.

5. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Was there in 2004-2005 fished the same lakes. I think thats a masheer your holding. Also there are carp, tench, roach, eels, fresh water crabs and some lil catfish. Hey a soldier needed somthing to do over there to keep from going nuts lol.:cool2:

6. twisted

twisted New Member