Catching Walleye

Discussion in 'Walleye Fishing' started by JMarrs328, Feb 12, 2006.

1. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    Can anyone provide me with what kind of bait, area, and equipment i should use to consistently catch nice walleye? I've seen some guys catching some, but they like to keep to themselves. During the summer, i catch a lot of walleye/sauger from 6-10 inches in length in a large creek(30 yds across at its biggest) on small spinners. I caught 2 that measured 13 1/2" and 14" on a size 3 mepps aglia, but that was the biggest I've caught from there. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    It kind of depends on when your fishing.
    Are you open water fishing or Ice fishing.
    if your fishing open water you want light medium tackle. I wouldnt go more than 8lb test with low visiblility. ON a light rod with a sensitive tip. (as little or no wieght as possible)
    Your best bet with bait, if its cooler is a small jig tipped with minnow. Or if possible use a slip bobber.
    How deep is the creek? The walleys may have migrated to deeper water this time of year.
    The most natural looking presentations will work best.
    You might only feel a light tap tap and thats it if your lucky.
    I can answer more questions, specifically with more detailed info.
    Good Luck
    they are good eats.
    Larry

3. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    Currently, I've been catfish/carp fishing near the warm-water discharge of a coal power plant. I've seen guys taking hefty strings of walleye, but they won't ecknowledge my questions.

4. misterwhiskers

misterwhiskers New Member

State:
    Trenton
    Pink jigs eh?
    Sounds kinda girly to me....
    LOL
    I actually purchased some pink colored lures,they say walleyes see orange yellow and pink very well!

Been catching them at the power plant on 18oz jigs(colors above)with a small charteuse mr twister,tipped with a 3 inch minnow

Also picked up a few crappie and smallies on same rig while fishin walleye.Larry and Tim r right,they bump bump bump the bait and don't really swim off with it this time of year.Keep an eye on yer line and rod tip ya feel/see em bumpin get ready!

5. misterwhiskers

State:
    Trenton
    Got a question fer ya.
    I cut me a tail off a deer and usein the fur to tie on my jigs.Works wonderful!
    I want to add color to them but unsure how to go about it,i like the glow in dark idea or some kinda glitter effect.
    Think food dye would wash out,paint would be too stiff....thinkin about some type of hair dye,other than that i plan on takin a trip to arts and craft store to see if they might help.

6. THE FISH WHISPER'ER

THE FISH WHISPER'ER New Member

State:
    waynesville ,IL
    maybey some laundery or fabric dye it could problly be found any where you get laundry detergant

7. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill

Go to a hair stylist and they have the hair dye in any color you would want.
    That stuff will stay in a long time. I also use squirrel tails and deer tails too and this is what I use to color them.

8. misterwhiskers

State:
    Trenton
    I would think hair dye would wash out rather quik,but will give it a shot.I been having lotsa luck with the hair,mistertwister and a minnow all on the jig.Fishing from shore in the power plant,let is sit a couple minutes after casting and then slowly jig it back.Few crappies and smallies hittin reguarly but the walleye and the stripers seem to be more active during cold fronts.

Landed my 1st striper yesterday,and had 2 more on that came off after two cranks,guess i was getting too excited....LOL

Headed out to sportsemens this mornin to pick up a couple lures,gonna poke around the fly fishin area to see what they have.

Thanks for all the ideas

Gonna try again this mornin,cold front came in last night so the incoming tide today should be pretty good,will bring the camera if theres any action.

9. Mountain Cur

Mountain Cur New Member

State:
    Missouri, Warsaw
    "RIT" fabric dye will work if it is available in your area. If not you can get a similar dye at about anyplace that sells fabrics. It's considerable cheaper than hair dye from a salon and they might want to give you a perm also. We use it to dye the plain camo grass we buy for our layout blinds, if it will stay in the material in those conditions I'm sure it will stay in a "hair" jig. To get the right color or depth of color do some tests to see how long the hair has to soak. When you are done don't throw out the dye, seal it and save it for the next batch, it'll last forever. Someone mentioned deer tail hair, deer hair is hollow and it will soakup and hold the dye.