Catching Suckers in Winter Months

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by the_nis, Nov 29, 2005.

1. the_nis

the_nis Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    Hey guys, maybe some of you can help me out with this...Throughout the warmer months of the year, I generally catch all of my own bait. I usually catch a bunch of suckers either by seining or minnow traps. Now, I do a decent amount of ice fishing in the winter but I never seem to be able to find the suckers when it gets really cold out. I hate buying shiners when I go ice fishing because I think the suckers would make a lot better bait through the ice. So, if you guys have any suggestions on how to catch suckers in the wintertime, it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks everyone!

2. the_nis

the_nis Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    I just wanted to get this thread going again to see if anyone could make a suggestion or two...Thanks guys!

3. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i used to fish with "stoneroller" suckers when i ice fished for Burbot in the winter, couldnt beat them things! way better than chubs or shiners, but i had a hard time getting them myself. in the river where i got them they would just dissapear in mid november. i tried everywhere (was using a cast net) and couldnt find them, even in the deepest holes. i did however find them in deep holes in the creeks, along with tons of shiners. even in creeks though after two throws of the net those suckers would find any crevice to hide in and you could forget it. shiners just dart around.

4. the_nis

the_nis Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    I've never been able to catch many suckers in the rivers around here. I usually get them in the creeks but as soon as it gets cold out, they disappear. It just blows my mind that its so tough to find them in the winter...

5. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    the best i can say to do is find the deepest hole in a small river and fish with a nightcrawler on bottom.

6. the_nis

the_nis Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    Ok, so I went out today to set the minnow traps so I could get some bait for sunday's fishing trip. Now, like I said when I started this thread, I usually can't find suckers when its cold out. Now I don't know if its because its kinda warm out this year compared to other years but I found a mess of suckers today. Now I found them in the same creek I usually catch them but there are NEVER this many. And normally you can catch a few 10+ inchers in the spring/summer. I saw schools of HUGE ones today! I couldn't believe it! Too bad theres no ice right now. Here's a question...why is there so many out now and not when it was warmer out? Another thing to consider is this...usually the creek chub to sucker ration is 3:1. Today, I'd at least 90% of the fish I saw were suckers. Whats going on?

7. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    your gonna have an early spring dude! trust me.

8. the_nis

the_nis Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    Well, I went out today to pick the minnow traps up. Not one sucker in the traps, all chubs. I saw some schools of big chubs today as well as the suckers. I just can't believe the amount of large baitfish. I hope there is an abundance of large ones throughout the spring and summer. Very easy place to catch them.

9. the_nis

the_nis Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    Dink, is the fact that I'm seeing so many baitfish so early in the year a sign?

10. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    im a very observant person and i always remembered when the bigger suckers, chubs, shiners, etc have moved up the creeks this early that the winter stayed fairly mild from that point out and warmed up early in the spring. of course if youve had a really mild winter so far then they might not have migrated back to the rivers.

11. the_nis

the_nis Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    Yeah we've definitely had a mild winter so far. But, the creek I get my bait from is far from the river but the creek feeds into a larger creek. Do you think thats where they are coming from?