Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
941 - 955 of 955 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Nice! Gar are cool looking but lord knows they can be so annoying when catfishing. I’m gonna try to catch one this year spend a day targeting them. I normally use circle hooks so always loose them when they hit top water or before! I’ve seen guys use a frayed rope to catch em figured I’d try that and some cut bait on j hooks!

·
Registered
Stacee from Indiana
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #944 ·
I've been out trying to catch a whisker fish. Here lately the fish seem to run me right into the snags.
Lost 1 yesterday morning pulled him over one snag and into another.
Overall a crappie day but enjoying every minute I can make it to the water.
Glasses Smile Water Fish Fisherman

Here is one I pulled a fish out of 2 snags and he still didn't want his picture taken.

·
Registered
Stacee from Indiana
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #946 · (Edited)
Fishing for bait yesterday morning with a small piece of worm.
The water was up a little higher than I thought it would be.
Water Vertebrate Hat Tree Lake

I decide to throw out a couple catfish rods with cut blue gill while fishing for more bait.
Rod goes down while I'm tying on another hook on the bait rod.
Once more I have to pull a fish over a log.
Water Smile Vertebrate Plant Outdoor recreation

I caught some more bait and decided to fish some tree's down in the water.
The worst part is the bank is rip rap and apparently that means snakes.
This guy snuck up in front of me I had to smack him with the net.

Water Plant Sleeve Grass Lake

Then the rod goes down.

It get's snagged and I feel him on and let him have line.
Meanwhile the snake is back in front of my bait box.
I get the fish out of the first snag and right into another one.
The fish got off and I had to break off.
Still determined as ever to pull a fish out of there.

·
Registered
Stacee from Indiana
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #947 ·
Still at it last night throwing out some cut bluegills at the beginning of the East Fork White River.
Set up my rods and got some baits out about 8:30 p.m. not expecting nothing until dark.
Especially since there was a group of teenagers playing in the river not too far from me.
They finally give up and leave right as it got too dark for them. I set up my lights and camera when they left. The may flies were in full force with lights on. A few up the nose and in a couple ears get's old quick.
I decide to reel in each rod that had been out there for an hour and put some fresh bait on.
Putting a half a bluegill on the Whisker Whip on a carolina rig.
Using an 8 oz no roll to hold bottom in the river mouth with debris building on the line.
Still no bites by 11 p.m. and I usually leave at 11 p.m. so I leave the Whisker Whip at the mouth and cast out the other 2 rods. One rod up the river coming out and one way down river the one last hurrah before going home. Around 11:15 p.m. the Whisker Whip bends down and then goes back straight and then starts jiggling. I reel down and it feels like I missed it and then the rod goes down in my hands.
I get it in the net it and think it's a good channel cat. My lights were on low so I couldn't see very well.
I reach into the mouth and hold it up to get the hook out and it's mouth was huge.
I finally realized that I had caught my first flathead of the year.

Smile Organism Mammal Fisherman Fish

Glasses Smile Mouth Jaw Sleeve

Well worth the wait!

941 - 955 of 955 Posts