Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
921 - 940 of 955 Posts

·
Registered
Stacee from Indiana
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #925 ·
I went out to the East Fork White River one cool under 32 degree morning.
A week before I went and got some bait at Kroger unfortunately the river was flooded out of the banks.
So I finally got to try shrimp again although I've never caught a catfish on shrimp.
The water level was still going down but about the 2 foot level. The water was still flowing good so I picked a spot just out of the current. The floods created a nice sand bar that was much further out than they were before so I took advantage of it. I had some good size shrimp but cut it down to about the size of a 50-cent piece and put it on a 3/0 Mustad Demon circle hook.
Talking to the camera my rod went down and brought this long fellow in for a picture.
My first catfish caught on shrimp.

Smile Water Vertebrate Tree Fish

·
Registered
Stacee from Indiana
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #929 ·
I went out Sunday way before dark to throw the net for some shad. Threw the net all the way around the pond and got 4 little 3 inch shad and a 4 inch sucker. The cold front sure didn't help but I figured I would toss what I got in the White River since the water has gone down. A little wet from throwing the net and the temperature and the dark was coming fast by 8 p.m. when I finally got some lines in the river.
Two pieces of cut sucker and one shad with tail cut off. I was trying a used brown Daiwa Millionaire 5hs I just bought for 20 bucks. Spooled it up with some 20lb Whisker Seeker mono.
Great cast and no backlash on any cast yet but I was holding my thumb on it good.
I let my baits soak for about an hour and it was pitch black by then. I reel in the ole Whisker Whip and all the guts were out of the sucker so I replaced it with a small gut section of shad. I toss it back out and start reeling in another rod. I reel one in and it has my other line wrapped around it so many times it takes me 15 minutes or more just to get it untangled. I'm not sure what happened there.

Camouflage Military camouflage Military person Military uniform Darkness

I finally take a look at my Whisker Whip and it's got a bite so I reel down and bring this guy in.

Head Glasses Smile Jaw Beard

First night catfish since December.

·
Premium Member
12,254 Posts
That grin says it all Stacee. You needed one to make up for that tangled line. I haven’t been out yet but am watching the river close. I drove over the Paragon bridge today and could swear I could hear them calling my name.

Always enjoy the pics.

tight lines

·
Premium Member
1,019 Posts
I went out Sunday way before dark to throw the net for some shad. Threw the net all the way around the pond and got 4 little 3 inch shad and a 4 inch sucker. The cold front sure didn't help but I figured I would toss what I got in the White River since the water has gone down. A little wet from throwing the net and the temperature and the dark was coming fast by 8 p.m. when I finally got some lines in the river.
Two pieces of cut sucker and one shad with tail cut off. I was trying a used brown Daiwa Millionaire 5hs I just bought for 20 bucks. Spooled it up with some 20lb Whisker Seeker mono.
Great cast and no backlash on any cast yet but I was holding my thumb on it good.
I let my baits soak for about an hour and it was pitch black by then. I reel in the ole Whisker Whip and all the guts were out of the sucker so I replaced it with a small gut section of shad. I toss it back out and start reeling in another rod. I reel one in and it has my other line wrapped around it so many times it takes me 15 minutes or more just to get it untangled. I'm not sure what happened there.

View attachment 328499

I finally take a look at my Whisker Whip and it's got a bite so I reel down and bring this guy in.

View attachment 328500

First night catfish since December.

Right on man!

Matt

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
Stacee I read today that last year DNR stocked 1344 8” channels in plover pit and another 602 in Pisgah and 360 in beaver bottom so a few more years and you’ll have a bunch more that you can pet and name close by haha

·
Registered
Stacee from Indiana
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #936 ·
I went to the White River today and the road was closed to get to my fishing spot. I had to fish the other side of the river. I fished a couple spots for about 15 minutes and walked down a deer trail and all the river bank was higher than I wanted to fish. Finally I see some high grass and it was a little clear where it looked like deer been through there. I followed it straight to the water. The bank was fairly steep but flattened out just enough to fish. I put 2 baits out at a tree over hanging the water and one bait straight out. Cut chub head, shiner head and bluegill head for bait. Waited a good 30 minutes I figured there would have to be a fish there. The ole Whisker Whip doubled over and I can see a fish splashing on the back side of the tree. I reel him into the front of the tree and it gets hung up. That was the first bite and almost fish of the day. I stayed there for awhile hoping for another bite but eventually moved to the dam.
I tossed the same baits back out down from the dam. I get the gar bite that never hooks up on two rods.
Big take downs that never hook up.
That happened on my last night trip but I was mistaken it wasn't a gar but a big channel cat.

·
Registered
Stacee from Indiana
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #938 ·
On a previous trip I had fished a tree on the White River and had some luck.
So this time I decided to fish the back side of the tree.
This time I didn't have no bow hunters hit my tree and cross my lines which I am grateful.
The bait was fresh cut bluegill that I just caught at the river.
I got 1 rod out with a bluegill head. Getting another rod ready the first rod starts bouncing.
I run over to it and see the line is headed to structure. I grab the rod out of the rod holder and try to reel and set the hook and I feel something let go. The gar are back in town. I seen quite a few while I was fishing for bluegill earlier. It sure makes it easy for me to blame the gar since it didn't hook up.
Then I throw it back out and get a center cut section of bluegill out on the second rod. Being some structure directly in front of me and a tree to the left of me I could really only use two rods. Though I did put some cut bluegill on my bait rod and throw it out about 6 feet but never got a single bite on it.
The other 2 rods kept me busy enough. I missed about 4 take downs and the bite slows down for a minute. It starts getting a little dark and both rods are getting a bite but the Whisker Whip starts bouncing like there is a fish on. I grab the rod out of the rod holder and reel one crank and I set the hook and reel a small channel cat in on a bluegill head. He was a sight for sore eyes since I was unable to get a hook in a fish in quite a few take downs.

·
Registered
Stacee from Indiana
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #939 ·
Then the gar and turtle bites start in again. I finally just get tired of it and let the fish pull and pull on my rods. Then I finally pick up the Ugly Stik Catfish rod and turn on the clicker and the fish is pulling out.
Still thinking I'm not going to be able to get a hook in this gar. I turn off the bait clicker and start reeling and I believe I've got a fish on. I could tell it was a catfish as I felt a roll and the familiar pull. It started pulling out some line as it got closer to the bank. Finally got a net under it and bring it on the bank.
This was worth every gar and turtle bite and bugs flying in my ears and nose.
Here is a link to the portion of the story I got on video "It Might Be A Catfish"

Glasses Smile Fisherman Outdoor recreation Fish

921 - 940 of 955 Posts